Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Intertap vs Perlick Taps

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Intertap vs Perlick Taps Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
No doubt both Intertap and Perlick are excellent products and you can't go wrong with either I am presuming. Perlick is definitely the goto tap it seams, and top on my list at the moment. Just looking for thoughts on feature/function compares of the two. Pricing is not a concern at this time. The Perlick does have the creamer option, but apparently Intertap does not. (How good is the creamer option anyway? - To anyone who has experience.) Both have a flow control option as well. Intertap has a nozzle change feature which I like.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first I have heard of Intertap. I did a little looking around and I like some of there design features, such as the interchangeable spout. It would be nice to be able to interchange between Regular Tap and Stout Tap. If by creamer option you mean the Stout Tap, that is only really useful if you have a Nitrogen Tank. The Stout Tap has a restrictor plate which severely reduces the flow and causes a lot of foam. It requires about 30 psi to push the beer and if you do that with 100% CO2 you will "fire suppression" foam thick enough to fill a room. There is also a self closing spring option for those of us who forget to close the faucet or maybe accidentally hit the faucet open... Embarassed And I would be interested to find out if their Flow Control Faucet is really all SS (unlike Perlick, that has some non-SS parts)

However, in my searching I found this https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27149.0
Sounds like there are some problems out there, so do a web search and read some of the other reviews.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
fseider

Location: Two Naked Frogs Brewery; Reading, PA (USA); Interests: Beer, Frogs, Steampunk, Being Naked

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find on that article, I did not come across that one previously.

Concerning the creamer on the Perlick:

https://www.perlick.com/bar-beverage-equipment/beverage-dispensing/tapping-hardwarecomponents/beer-faucets/680ss-forward-sealing-faucet-push-back-creamer/

Could be gimmicky, I just don't know. But I like to get the Cadillac whenever I can swing it.(Same reason I have a Kal setup. Maybe I should have said Rolls Royce. I smell a luxury car war starting, sorry. Smile )

I know in general I can't go wrong with Perlick, but just looking at options.

"What's in your goblet?!"
---
Model 30A; SN 0130
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have cmbecker faucets and they include a creamer function. i originally bought the faucets because they were cheaper than the perlicks, the creamer function was just a bonus that i could take or leave. but i have to say, i find myself using it a lot more than i thought i would, particularly on beers with thinner heads. i'll pour a regular pint, wait a couple minutes and then hit it with the creamer to place a decent head on it. the head is thick, quite similar to a nitro head but doesn't last nearly as long. it is an affordable compromise to a full-blown nitro setup, good for some thicker foam but if you're looking for that true nitro experience, a full-blown nitro setup is what you need.

i'm also pretty lazy about keeping my pint glasses out of the dishwasher so i get thin heads on a lot of beers by default, creamer function is great to make up for the head loss due to detergents.
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong. I did also find some positive reviews. Its just possible that that was the one bad apple and it did sound like there was a fix. I am still looking at these and might get some. I want to look longer and harder at the Flow Control models and I really do like the idea of a Stout Tap that matches the other taps. My current Stout Tap is not a forward seal tap and it does get messy and sticky.

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw, I like Perlick's. These ones here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Perlick-stainless-steel-beer-faucet

I'd rather pay a few bucks more for the tried and true company that's been around than risk on a the cheaper 'knock off'. Now that said, even Perlicks are knockoffs of Ventmatic/Shirron if I remember correctly. I own both perlick and ventmatic for CO2 pushed beer. Both work extremely well. Some I've owned for almost 12 years now.

Skip creamer or flow control models. Creamer is gimmicky, tries to emulate a Stout faucet but nothing does that kind of pour correctly other than a real Stout faucet pushed by beer gas.

I like and use these ones from micromatic: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/stout-faucet

Flow control isn't needed either. Just make sure you have at least 5-10 feet.
I ran only a few feet on my old setup (keezer was directly on the opposite side of the wall to the taps so lines were very short) and the current setup with 17-20'. Ignore beer line calculators. They're confusing and will make your head explode.

More info in my basement build thread: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=290842#290842
Info on serving here : http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=295672#295672

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_H wrote:
This is the first I have heard of Intertap. I did a little looking around and I like some of there design features, such as the interchangeable spout. It would be nice to be able to interchange between Regular Tap and Stout Tap. If by creamer option you mean the Stout Tap, that is only really useful if you have a Nitrogen Tank. The Stout Tap has a restrictor plate which severely reduces the flow and causes a lot of foam. It requires about 30 psi to push the beer and if you do that with 100% CO2 you will "fire suppression" foam thick enough to fill a room. There is also a self closing spring option for those of us who forget to close the faucet or maybe accidentally hit the faucet open... Embarassed And I would be interested to find out if their Flow Control Faucet is really all SS (unlike Perlick, that has some non-SS parts)

However, in my searching I found this https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=27149.0
Sounds like there are some problems out there, so do a web search and read some of the other reviews.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

David

I have three Intertaps and one Perlick, all with flow control. I much prefer the Intertaps as you can change the spouts easily. None of my Intertaps have ever leaked.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Packaging & Serving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: