Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hanna pHep5 care and storage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Hanna pHep5 care and storage? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Kal, I seen you had asked back in Dec. 2009 at HBT about how to store the Hanna pHep5 meter using the storage solution. I think I have a bad electrode but I'm not going to install the replacement until I understand why it went bad in the first place and if my storage practice or use was the cause.

Has your meter held up since you've had it? If so How long and how have you been cleaning and storing it? Thanks, Castermmt

Drinking: Keg 1- Hefenweizen, Keg 2- Vanilla Scotch Porter, Keg 3-Munich Helles

Working on: Stinky IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hanna meter and clean it after every use with distilled/RO Water and immediately put it back in it's cap. When I store it, I always make sure the little sponge that sits on the tip is wet with storage solution and place it back in the bigger case it came in.

pH probes are extremely sensitive and require the utmost care. Always rinse it off and always keep the storage tip on when not in use. Also do not use Distilled/RO Water to store it. You should use storage solution. By following these basic maintenance steps, the probe should last a long time, especially if its only being used a few times a month for brewing.

When we put in in-line pH probes into industrial applications, we end up putting in a pretty extensive routine that keeps the probe clean and retracts it into solution when not in use on-line. Otherwise they can dry out, which ultimately leads to failure, or cake up, which throws of it's readings.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I need to use the pH meter on brew day I take the cap off and give it a good rinse under the tap. There's usually a bunch of crusty white stuff on it because of the storage solution.

I then take the measurement I need and then re-rinse under the sink (making sure that no grain bits are stuck in there if I was measuring mash pH). I then give it a good shake and leave it on the counter until the next measurement. I don't put the cap on. Don't touch the little 'ball' sensor when cleaning. You could give it a quick rinse with distilled/RO water if you like every time after you clean it. I don't.

At the end of the brew day I give it the head plus the cap & small sponge a rinse with distilled/RO water, shake it off well, fill the little cavity in the cap with the storage solution, and put it away.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
When I need to use the pH meter on brew day I take the cap off and give it a good rinse under the tap. There's usually a bunch of crusty white stuff on it because of the storage solution.

I then take the measurement I need and then re-rinse under the sink (making sure that no grain bits are stuck in there if I was measuring mash pH). I then give it a good shake and leave it on the counter until the next measurement. I don't put the cap on. Don't touch the little 'ball' sensor when cleaning. You could give it a quick rinse with distilled/RO water if you like every time after you clean it. I don't.

At the end of the brew day I give it the head plus the cap & small sponge a rinse with distilled/RO water, shake it off well, fill the little cavity in the cap with the storage solution, and put it away.

Kal

Sounds pretty simple. How long have you had yours and have you had to replace the probe? Thanks, Castermmt

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine for 2 years, brewed about 30 times. No issues yet.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: