Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Fermentation chamber

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Fermentation chamber Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am interested in building a panel to control two different fermentation refrigerators/freezers that looks similar to the panel built for this brewery. Has anyone here done this before?

What I would like to do is build a panel that has 4 outlets on the bottom. One for a heating pad and the other for the fridge, per fridge. I'd use the auber controllers again with much higher swing settings so I don't ruin the compressors. It would seem to be very similar to the CP for the electric brewery, but not being an electrical engineer I was curious if anyone on here has done the same thing before?

What I want to avoid is cutting up the guts of the fridge/cables and just plugging in the fridge to the panel. Thanks for any input.

cscade

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to do this as well. I don't have the fridges/freezers yet, but I'll be getting them next year after I recover financially from the main brewery build.

I'll certainly share anything I come up with!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built this with Love controllers, i set the variance a .5 degrees and only cycles about 3 or 4 times an hour. it has both cooling and heating outlets along with a small computer fan that comes on with every cycle to circulate air..

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=289401&highlight=#289401

Crush was looking into building a Uberfridge.. looks really great..

http://www.elcojacobs.com/uberfridge/

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
cscade

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked your build. Have you had any issues with it, in terms of moisture collecting anywhere, etc.? I know that can be a big deal.

I built a very large 4'x4'x8' refrigerator that was powered by an A/C compressor and a BCS. I had some fairly serious moisture issues on the outside of the box after a year. Better insulation can reduce that, but the unit didn't exist long enough to see a revision because I moved.

silverspoons wrote:
Built this with Love controllers, i set the variance a .5 degrees and only cycles about 3 or 4 times an hour. it has both cooling and heating outlets along with a small computer fan that comes on with every cycle to circulate air..

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=289401&highlight=#289401

Silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an ebay controller and put it in a side by side fridge:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/side-side-refridgerator-help-298649/

Basically I found the wiring diagram, found the main power cord, ran that right to the controller. Removed the previous damper that was in the fridge that allowed the freezer air to blow in and installed a computer fan with a make shift flap. I also removed the thermostat that was there for the fridge side. It was all really easy and just takes a little work. My post on HBT should help you understand everything.

When the temp in the fridge gets too warm it turns the fan on, when its too cold, it turns a ceramic space heater on at the bottom of the fridge I put in. Mine doesn't even touch the compressor settings so I'm not cycling it too much. All the fridge really is doing is keeping the freezer side frozen (hop storage).
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cscade wrote:
I really liked your build. Have you had any issues with it, in terms of moisture collecting anywhere, etc.? I know that can be a big deal.

I built a very large 4'x4'x8' refrigerator that was powered by an A/C compressor and a BCS. I had some fairly serious moisture issues on the outside of the box after a year. Better insulation can reduce that, but the unit didn't exist long enough to see a revision because I moved.

silverspoons wrote:

Silverspoons

No moisture issues anywhere.. , its in my basement where the ambient temp is around 67F and i run a dehumidifier in the summer months.

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an upright freezer, think it was a 21 CF. Got it off CL for 100. I used the love control. I also wired three outlets in the fridge, one always on, one on with the compressor, one with the heater. I used a cheap hair dryer for the heater. I made a custom shelf support from wood. I had a wood shelf but replaced it with one of the metal wire ones from the freezer and supported it with a 2x4. The wood shelf created two temp zones. It has drastically improved my beer.

P1030970_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.07 KB
 Viewed:  44487 Time(s)

P1030970_small.jpg

P1030971_Small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  293.51 KB
 Viewed:  44216 Time(s)

P1030971_Small.jpg

P1030968_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  210.04 KB
 Viewed:  44213 Time(s)

P1030968_small.jpg

View user's photo album (12 photos)
KES

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey milldoggy. My last major piece to my brew room is a fermentation chamber. I like the idea of an upright over a chest freezer. (floor place and easier on my back) I got a Blichmann 14.5 conical (roughly 20"x22"x36" high)I want to put in it with room for at least 2 carboys. Question: Would you think they would fit in your freezer? If so, what are the interior dimensions of your freezer? Model?
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In portland, at cascade brewery, amazing sours. Will measure this weekend
View user's photo album (12 photos)
TheHappyBrewer

Drinking: Special Bitter and Wee Heavy

Working on: Saison

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the forum. Just completed first batch with Kal's design. For the fermentation control side I came across a project referred to as BrewPi. Combines a RaspberryPi single board Linux box with an Arduino controller. Creates a PID controller for heating and cooling as well as data logger. May be the same as the Uberfridge mentioned above. I'm building it now (waiting on parts). BrewPi site is http://www.brewpi.com
inkedbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brewery is in my garage in Florida, but I have a portable AC unit that keeps me comfortable even in the summers and this should help the plans with temperature controlling the 14 gal Stainless Conical I ordered from SS BrewTech along with their FTSS Temp Control (link provided below) without having to put my fermenters into fridges or vertical chest freezers. The thing with the FTSS Temp Control system is you have to provide the cooling liquid (water or glycol), it does come with a pump to circulate the liquid.

my plan is to build a glycol system out of this 54 quart/ 13.5 gal wheeled chest freezer that's already insulated and to cool the glycol I was going to use an AC window unit as per BYO to cool the glycol.
i'm going to attach shanks with QD disconnects to connect the pump(s) my question is would 13.5 gal of glycol be enough to cool 14 conicals down to lager and cold crashing temperatures even if they're running at the same time?

the link for SS Brew Tech 14 gal conical fermenters:
http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/fermenters/products/chronical-14-gallon-fermenter

link for the SS Brew Tech 14 gal FTSS Temp Controller:
copy-of-ftss-temperature-control-for-14-gal-chronical

link to the 54 quart insulated wheeled cooler: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPE4IB4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00EPE4IB4&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=NQ6ZW3TKGUH4GW3T

***EDITED: there's also an 80 quart/20 gal so I could go with this

link to BYO: Glycol Chiller: http://byo.com/homebrew-stories/item/1877-build-your-own-glycol-fermenter?ref=39

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you figure it out yet. Planning something similar
David_H

Drinking: Dry Irish Stout, Electric Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, Irish Red Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my Glycol Chiller, but I haven't used it yet other than water to test it out. I'm pretty sure the 54 qt cooler would be adequate to manage the temperature of a 14 gallon conical. The factors that would effect the outcome are the BTU's of the A/C (typically about 5000 BTU and the insulation on the conical. I built my own control with a couple of Love TSS2 Controllers. If you are interested I could share my wiring diagram, etc. Good luck.

I have been contemplating using a SS Chiller Coil directly inside of a Wide Mouth Carboy, then insulate the Carboy. If I every do it I'll post in here somewhere.

David

Kal Clone Controller
20 gallon Spike Brewing 3-Kettle System
SS Brewtech 14 gallon fermenter w/ gycol chiller
4 tap keezer with Nitro Tap
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheHappyBrewer wrote:
I'm new to the forum. Just completed first batch with Kal's design. For the fermentation control side I came across a project referred to as BrewPi. Combines a RaspberryPi single board Linux box with an Arduino controller. Creates a PID controller for heating and cooling as well as data logger. May be the same as the Uberfridge mentioned above. I'm building it now (waiting on parts). BrewPi site is http://www.brewpi.com

how did the BrewPi work out?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a couple of wine fridges myself. I like it because they're unmodified, and can go from 39F to 64F.
They hold 7 gallon stainless brew buckets just fine. Having two lets me experiment with different yeasts, temperatures, dry hopping, etc.

More info: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Brew-Bucket-Stainless-Steel-Fermenter

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set-up. Glass doors gives the set-up a tech-feel to it - like it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: