Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

HLT/Mash Tun temp discrepancy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatbaldingoldgit

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
PayPal is probably the easiest method...coz we can pay you in NZD and PayPal converts it to our base currency ....I doubt there are many of us that don't have a PayPal account but I could be wrong...if you were to receive payment in USD or GBP you would most likely need to pay a fee to convert to NZD whatever route you take...using PayPal the purchasers don't get a great exchange rate and you get to pay a fee to PayPal for the convenience!

..probably best just to accept the convenience and factor the fee into the price...

View user's photo album (3 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatbaldingoldgit wrote:
..probably best just to accept the convenience and factor the fee into the price...

QFT - no reason to make it more difficult. Paypal is the easiest way to go for everyone in my opinion.
v-twin

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across the product offering here in the US that might do the same thing... Sorry not trying to steal anyone's thunder.. Just thought I'd share. I think I might be ordering myself one here in the near future.

LINK: http://www.brewhardware.com/fittings/125-probecompression

Happy Brewing!!!
julian81

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experiencing a similar issue right now with my brew. Brewing a Baltic Porter. 28.25LB of grist. I'm noticing that the MLT temp lags behind the HLT by exactly 3 degrees. The PIDs are each reporting the correct values (verified with a Thermapen, and HLT differential/offset updated to get a consistent reading). But the MLT just will not equalize to the temp of the HLT. It's about 75F outside in Seattle today. I'm relatively in the shade (garage), and I have the EXACT same setup as Kal.

Any suggestions?
kellzey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope... I just run my 2-3 degrees hotter than the desired MLT temp.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...I guess that's what I'll be doing from now on too.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julian81 wrote:
I'm relatively in the shade (garage), and I have the EXACT same setup as Kal.

Strange. If the PIDs are all calibrated something *has* to be different. I have slightly thicker walled tubing but I doubt that's going to help much. I recirculate with pumps 100% open. Not sure that matters?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
skelley

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experience the same thing with my mtn which usually lags 1 to 2 degrees. I simply adjust it by running hlt hotter.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing here - although, if I mash for an extended period, it *eventually* catches up.

Next time I will wrap the MLT in insulation and see if that makes a difference.
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first brew Saturday. I experienced a 2*F variance from the HLT to the MLT. Temps were measured with a floating Brewer's Thermometer that has proven to be accurate. The controllers were matching the thermometer, so it is not a problem with calibration. I simply raised the HLT 2 degrees and the mash temp quickly came up to where it was supposed to be. I am running 1/8" wall tube and keggles.
View user's photo album (10 photos)
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
I did my first brew Saturday.
Thumbs Up Congrats on that.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of things can contribute, Kal.

#1 - My brew room is air conditioned and around 70 degrees, and you lose some heat just from regular heat transfer to the environment. My garage is also quite large and never really experiences heat build up during the brew day.

#2 - The extra thick silicone hose could actually help a bit with heat lost since Silicone is an insulator. My hoses are warm.

#3 - +/- 1 degree accuracy in the PIDs or RTS sensors can add up...

#4 - Heat gnomes could be sucking the heat out!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellzey wrote:
#1 - My brew room is air conditioned and around 70 degrees

Wow... That must be NICE! By the end of my brewday on Saturday, my HLT probe that was not seeing any liquid was reading 103*F ambient temps! I think I matched my boil-kettle in water loss rate and it boils off 1.5 gallons per hour! haha...

Has to be Heat Gnomes. Evil little critters, they are! Mr. Green Twisted Evil
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foomench wrote:
huaco wrote:
I did my first brew Saturday.
Thumbs Up Congrats on that.

Thanks man! I was extremely pleased with the process! I have started a thread here that showed some pictures and other stuff. VERY happy with my Electric Brewery!
kellzey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
kellzey wrote:
#1 - My brew room is air conditioned and around 70 degrees

Wow... That must be NICE! By the end of my brewday on Saturday, my HLT probe that was not seeing any liquid was reading 103*F ambient temps! I think I matched my boil-kettle in water loss rate and it boils off 1.5 gallons per hour! haha...

Has to be Heat Gnomes. Evil little critters, they are! Mr. Green Twisted Evil

Yes, I am lucky. But with 95-degree average temperatures here in Florida (and even hotter in an unventilated garage), I couldn't afford NOT to do it.

I purchased a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim ductless system that was really easy to add after the fact.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mitsubishi+Mr.+Slim+ductless+system&linkCode=ll2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=64cc92a97e3411d53997f502ae393772&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am renting my house... I may go with a window unit in the window of the garage. Saturday was BRUTAL! But come mid-late October we should break to somewhat better temps! Just have to tough it out 'till then. UGH.......
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-twin wrote:
I stumbled across the product offering here in the US that might do the same thing... Sorry not trying to steal anyone's thunder.. Just thought I'd share. I think I might be ordering myself one here in the near future.

LINK: http://www.brewhardware.com/fittings/125-probecompression

Happy Brewing!!!

Old post, but I thought I'd mention that that adapter won't work with the ThermaPen (I asked Bobby). It's meant for different temp probes with fatter probes.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mnoltimier

Drinking: Big Nut Brown Ale, Sky Pond Pale Ale, Smashin' Punkin, Berlinner Weisse, Vienna Lager, Hopulence IIPA, Helles Angels

Working on: Maude Flanders Red, Gallagher's Watermelon Wheat

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what's it worth I have an exact clone of Kal's setup and I did calibrate my PID's and I also have to run the HLT 2 degrees hotter for the mash tun. (also double checked with a Thermapen) The only difference in our setup is I don't have the thick silicone hosing... so that is probably where it's coming from.
View user's photo album (45 photos)
pstratton

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: discrepancy HLT/MLT Reply with quote

I also have a 3 degree discrepancy. I autotuned the PID's, have the thicker hoses, but I have a 10 gallon system and my heat exchanging coil gets out of the water some when I add the mash water to the MLT. I've thought about adding more water to the HLT after this and waiting for it to heat back up and see if that corrects it. May also be good to do this because I find that I barely have enough water in the HLT to finish a sparge at this scale. Brewed the blonde ale recipe last Sunday and used every drop of water from the HLT and the MLT to get my boil volume. Starting to wish I had gone the 20 gallon route...
bigtex52

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my first test run using water on Saturday and noticed the same phenomenon, MLT stopped 3 degrees short of the HLT setting. PID was cycling the HLT fairly regularly and holding steady at 154. Bumped it up to 158 and the MLT came right up to 154. The ambient temp was in the mid 60's and I am using non-insulated keggles so I am sure they were losing some heat there. I had a thought afterward that if i ran the temp cable for the HLT to the MLT sensor once it starts to stall out, that might work better since it calls for more heat in the HLT if needed to keep the mash temp up. Any thoughts? Loving this thing BTW Kal!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: