Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Munich Helles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This may be splitting hairs here, but is there any downside to adding the gelatin after the diacetyl rest, but before lagering? My plan was to brite tank for a few days, then keg and just let it age at near freezing for 4-8 weeks. That was until I read the last post about lagering on the yeast, which makes me wonder if I should just leave it alone in the chiller for basically an extended brite tanking (on the yeast).
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do exactly as you say (lager after the beer has been gelatined/kegged). I like the results. No issues.

KAl

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, eight weeks have passed and I finally put the CO2 on this beer.

I tasted a sample.... awful!!

This is the first beer I've brewed that is honest to goodness undrinkable.

The basic problem is it's waaaay too sweet. I don't remember the FG, but I don't recall it being way off. Maybe I'll let some sit out to go flat and check another gravity.

Is there anything I can do at this point to save it? Amylase?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what your FG was. You shouldn't have lowered the temp to lager temps until fermentation was done. Pour a bit and give it a violent stir to get rid of the CO2 and take a gravity reading. If it's not at room temp and you're using a hydrometer, be aware that you need to compensate for the difference in temp. Se our hydrometer article for more info.

Kal

drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let it sit out overnight to go flat.... 1.022 this morning. Tastes like it too. Ugh. I'm not sure what happened with my gravity readings at the end of fermentation, but they were definitely lower.

I'm pretty sure I pitched enough yeast. I made a 2L starter for this one, had Krausen, slow bubbling for a long time.

Maybe I have too many unfermentable sugars.

I suppose I could transfer the beer back to a carboy, warm it up to 50F, add some amylase and repitch a packet of yeast.

Or should I just trash it?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.022 is way too high. It would be sweet as you mentioned. Unfortunate.

I don't see how the gravity could have been lower at the end of fermentation either (it can't go up, only down). Strange.

I'm not sure what to recommend. Repitching new yeast on oxygen depraved wort probably isn't going to do much. Something, somewhere, went wrong I'm afraid.

Kal

Gurthnar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your process exactly?
Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a 2L starter? Was that on a stir plate? What was your batch size? To me it seems like yeast may have been underpitched, but it depends how much you started with.
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ferment at 53F until approximately 2-5 points from final gravity, then raise the temperature to 65F keep it there for 2-4 days to reduce diacetyl

Approximately how long does it take for the beer to reach 2-5 points of the final gravity? I'm brewing this weekend and just wanted to get kind of a heads up when I need to start taking readings.

This will be my second batch on the new system; smooth sailing on the first batch.
stickyfinger

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like this is really just Jamil's recipe for a Helles more or less. It makes an awesome beer. I just finished a keg of Jamil's exact recipe, and it is awesome. Just pitch enough yeast, and you won't have a problem with attenuation. It's way better than Pils. I always use 3 packages of W-34/70 on my 1.050ish lagers, and they dry out really nice.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stickyfinger wrote:
Seems like this is really just Jamil's recipe for a Helles more or less. It makes an awesome beer.

Yes - his book is fantastic. Everyone should have a copy!

Link to the book: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Brewing-classic-styles

Kal

stickyfinger

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! His book is great.
Mr Walleye

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graduation party in the back yard today, luckily I had ten gallons of this in the lagering fridge.
Although it was my first time making this recipe, well quite frankly my first time making a lager at all, and the batch was still 4 weeks short of what I'd have considered done....it was a huge hit!

Thanks for sharing this one Kal! Looking forward to the next batch!
huhwha

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very similar to a recipe I used before I built my electric brewery. I decided to try Kal's recipe, but then I decided to change it. I went for a hoppy lager. Really all I did was substitue out the hops for classic American IPA hops. In my mind, I wanted a firm bitterness up front, so I used 1 oz of magnum in a 6 gallon batch at the start of the boil. I got my firm bitterness, but maybe a touch firm. If I make this again I might drop that to .75 or even .5 oz. the rest of the hops were all late additions and dry hopped. Ended up with a really nice citrus aroma and taste on the back end.

It's a bit unbalanced as I tend to be a bit heavy handed with the hops. That said, it's gotten great reviews from the people that have tried it. I'm thinking maybe next time I'll try an imperial version of this. Something on the order of 8-9%.
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I am loving this recipe! It is especially good with Kal's Guinness clone on nitro layered on top as a black and tan!

[/img]

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try that! I just kegged my Helles and a sample was divine. Looking forward to the conditioning of it and the gas.
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I brewed this yesterday and everything went perfect for once! (well..except for my plastic fermentor slipping through the carrying handle, hitting the floor, and spraying about a cup of sweet wort everywhere).

That said...I think my efficiency was "too" good! I use a digital hydrometer...so maybe that's it..but, Beersmith predicted my pre-boil gravity as 1.047 (I got 1.048 - even after adding 2 gallons of top up plain water after the wort dropped to 1.006...it was a 100 min sparge).

Boiled it down from 14.8 gallons to 12.48. OG was 1.060! Should have used a regular hydrometer to verify, but I "was" calibrating it throughout the brew day with distilled water. This is the first time I've seen this kind of efficiency from my system..according to Beersmith, 96.9% mash efficiency. Is that even possible? I actually didn't want this much booze so hoping my hydrogmeter is off (I'm going to verify it with some known solutions prior to next brew)!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topdollar wrote:
according to Beersmith, 96.9% mash efficiency. Is that even possible?

Yes.

You can confirm the hydrometer's calibrated with the instructions here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/parts-list-using?page=7

Kal

Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks,

While I'll be taking a gravity reading tomorrow (14 days of fermentation @ 53F), what are most peoples times before they start ramping up the temps for the rest? My OG was on the more extreme end (1.058)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a ~1.050 beer like this fermented with w-34/70 it usually takes me about 7-10 days to within a couple of points of final gravity.

Looking at my last similar lager brewed with w-34/70 (a german pils) back in august, it went from 1.048 to 1.012 in 7 days. That's when I started the d-rest. Finished at 1.008.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: