Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Munich Helles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Wow...would have thought beers fermented at these temps would take a great deal longer than ales! Hopefully I haven't missed any kind of window when it comes to the d-rest. I'll check it today and see how it's cooking along.

Update: Was down to 1.013 already! Tasted the sample...wow...first time I've brewed a lager and it's certainly got that characteristic taste! Can't wait to till this hits the tap!

Thanks!
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About to fire up the starter for a batch of this today.

People loved my Bohemian Pils, and I think they'll like this as well.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should! A Helles is generally accepted as a more approachable beer. Clean, less bitter. Enjoy! Good luck with the brew.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Kraft Farm Brewing

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making this one today too. Batch number two for today. And number 3 for the weekend.
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my Helles.

It's been a hit. People are demanding I make more, and now.

Crazy Rugby team. They think all I do is brew and drink. I also sleep.
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brewed this today and it was such an enjoyable day today. I used this recipe but I added 4 oz of Carapils for a little extra body while still mashing at 150 degrees. I used Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast so hopefully it will finish nice and crisp! Thanks again for posting Kal, this is gonna be a good one!

John

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds tasty! Let us know how it works out!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, so after five weeks in the kegs cold lagering at 32 degrees, I decided to tap one keg and keep the other one cold lagering. Wow, this is a beautiful beer. It's got that German character and it hits you in the nose and in the palate. It is malty, with great noble hops, a beautiful white fluffy head, it is very very clean, and finishes nice and crisp! Everyone here loves it! Thanks for sharing the recipe, this is one I will brew in rotation!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Glad you like it John!

Kal

aerostef

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: 6 months lagering time? Reply with quote

What's the longest you have lagered a keg of HElles or Pils? I wonder if a 6 months+ improves it any further?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO not much improvement over a month, or maybe 2. Certainly no harm however. You may find that in a hop forward beer (like a Pils) the hop flavours/aromas and even bitterness will subside slightly, but not as much as really hop forward American beers like IIPAs.

Long story short: I don't care how long a Helles or Pils are going to be on tap, but a hop forward american beer I try to not have too many on tap as I don't want them still on there 6 months later.

Good luck!

Kal

mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

As this is my first lager you mention in the recipe instructions - Cool wort to 53F and aerate well. Ferment at 53F until approximately 2-5 points from final gravity, then raise the temperature to 65F and keep it there for 2-4 days to reduce diacetyl.

How many days from brew day would you suggest I start testing for 2 - 5 points from TG?

Mike
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike0416 wrote:
As this is my first lager you mention in the recipe instructions - Cool wort to 53F and aerate well. Ferment at 53F until approximately 2-5 points from final gravity, then raise the temperature to 65F and keep it there for 2-4 days to reduce diacetyl. How many days from brew day would you suggest I start testing for 2 - 5 points from TG?

Hi Mike,

The 2-5 points isn't critical so don't worry about exact timing. When fermentation activity has pretty much come close to ending is a good time. That could be a week or two. Depends on the yeast you end up using, your pitch rate, temperature, etc.

I don't measure anymore - I simply wait until I know it's nearly done, then raise the temp.

If you're new to this I suggest tasting the beer too before and after to see if you can taste any diacetyl. Normally you should keep it at the higher temp until you do not notice any more diacetyl. All yeasts throw different amounts, with some it's not noticeable. How long it takes to clear up is also yeast dependent.

Good luck with the brew!

Kal

mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to try it. Thanks Kal!
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to brew this this weekend and starting the starter today. I had a few questions though. The 48g of yeast is if you are not doing a starter correct? I am doing a half batch 5Gs and I purchased just one pouch 11g of the W-34/70 dry lager yeast. Brewers friend says from that I need a 2L starter @ 1.036 OG to get 398B cells using the pro brewer 1.5 (Lager) profile. That is correct right?

Second question is since this is a lager yeast, do I need to throw my stirplate into my ferm chamber and ferment at 53f or is room temp fine. Also, do i need to keep this on the stir plate longer than an ale starter as lagers typically ferment slower?

Thanks for your help.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGarby wrote:
I am going to brew this this weekend and starting the starter today. I had a few questions though. The 48g of yeast is if you are not doing a starter correct?

Correct.

Quote:
I am doing a half batch 5Gs and I purchased just one pouch 11g of the W-34/70 dry lager yeast. Brewers friend says from that I need a 2L starter @ 1.036 OG to get 398B cells using the pro brewer 1.5 (Lager) profile. That is correct right?

Sounds about right. it's what I'd do.

Quote:
Second question is since this is a lager yeast, do I need to throw my stirplate into my ferm chamber and ferment at 53f or is room temp fine.

Room temp is what you want. You're making yeast, not beer.

Quote:
Also, do i need to keep this on the stir plate longer than an ale starter as lagers typically ferment slower?

You need to keep all starters on the stirplate until they're done fermenting. It won't be slower as you won't be at a lower temperature.

See my how-to on making yeast starters here - it covers everything: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30668

Cheers!

Kal

LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I was referring to that post, just wanted to make sure there were not any changes as this is a lager yeast. Thanks for the quick reply.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your brew day! Let us know how it goes!

Kal

whistledown

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great recipe. This is my first attempt at brewing a Helles although I have drunk many. It is very close to the commercial beers I drank in Germany. I am currently 2 weeks into the low temp lagering and the beer is wonderful, I will probably not wait the 4-8 weeks normally suggested. The brew was meant to be for Oktoberfest but not sure it will last that long.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear! It's been too long since I've brewed this one myself... time to queue one up!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: