Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Munich Helles
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Munich Helles Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/munich-helles

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:42 am; edited 45 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those girls really can hold a mug of beer.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mug of beer, i don't notice any!

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading at the second picture. What was the recipe again?

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture has been getting mileage on the internet for as long as the internet has existed I think! I'm pretty darn positive a version of it once passed through my 28.8kbps dialup modem!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, Just wanted to say that you are a Legend. I'm an Australian brewer of a couple of years doing brew in a bag and building my soon to be commissioned electric kettle using so many ideas from your website. Thankyou. I have tried a few of your recipes and of any recipe I have done, your ones always turn out first time every time and they are superb. I have done two batches of the electric pale ale (beautiful), one IPA, bohemian pilsner and just recently have tried the Munich Helles and it is unbelievable! Thanks for all the help and inspiration. Very Happy
PS, can't wait to eventually see the recipe for the NZ IPA!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes! The NZ IPA was just brewed yesterday and is now fermenting away... we'll see how it turns out!

Kal

foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cscade wrote:
That picture has been getting mileage on the internet for as long as the internet has existed I think! I'm pretty darn positive a version of it once passed through my 28.8kbps dialup modem!

tineye.com gave more than 800 hits.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe is definitely a winner! I brewed 12 gallons and half of it was gone before I was done lagering.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...ok... seems I need to get my Oktoberfest beers going so I'll be brewing this one this Saturday... My first lager with the new brew rig... Very Happy Next weekend I'll be doing an Oktoberfest...
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So brewing's been going great on my Kal-clone all year, with every batch it seems meeting or exceeding my expectations and most getting good reviews from friends and neighbors that come over to drink. But to the reason for my post...

I don't make lagers of any sort, nor do I have any cold-temp fermenting capabilities at this point in time. I'm fine with that. But last night a neighbor asked if it's too late to "commission" a brew for her Oktoberfest party on Sep 27th. I can't brew until this Sat 8/23, so there will be exactly 5 weeks from brew day to drinking day. My first inclination would be to go with a tried and true ale recipe (stout, porter or ESB) but I thought I might look at another alternative.

To my question - what are your opinions on taking this Munich Helles recipe and using the Wyeast German Ale 1007 yeast? I'd have 2-3 weeks in the fermenter with the remainder of the 5 weeks spent carbonating in the keg.

Or barring that idea, any suggestions for a quick 5-week brew-to-drink Oktoberfest ale?

Thanks!

Kevin
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents: Don't try and make a Munich Helles or an Oktoberfest using an ale yeast as it won't be what you say it is. I also wouldn't make something you've never made before. Instead, make something you do know you can make well, especially if to give away.

Kal

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
My 2 cents: Don't try and make a Munich Helles or an Oktoberfest using an ale yeast as it won't be what you say it is. I also wouldn't make something you've never made before. Instead, make something you do know you can make well, especially if to give away.

Kal

Yes I'm generally not too adventurous when it comes to taking a chance on a new recipe that I don't have time to proof myself!

I might just stick with my Scottish 80 shilling recipe since it's a bit malty...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! Generally speaking I find if you're brewing for a big crowd you want to keep the beer somewhat neutral - nothing too over the top. A Scottish 80/- would work, maybe tone it down a bit to a 70/- or 60/- even.

Kal

foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't tone it down in FTC Smile
But I do second Kal's suggestion not to try making something new, and not to try warping a traditional style to fit the timeframe.

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed the Munich Helles and just put it on tap this past weekend and it was a HUGE hit with the non craft beer drinking crowd... very clean.
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
Discdoc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brewed this and have been fermenting at 53 degrees in my Morebeer cooled fermentor. My plan is to increase temp now to 65 until fermentation ends. Then I will dump yeast and trub and then add gelatin directly to fermentor and cold crash in it for 4 weeks and then keg and carb. I need to cold crash in the fermentor because I will be out of town and can't keg for 4 weeks. Do you think this will be ok? Any comments would be appreciated this is my first Lager.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discdoc wrote:
I just brewed this and have been fermenting at 53 degrees in my Morebeer cooled fermentor. My plan is to increase temp now to 65 until fermentation ends. Then I will dump yeast and trub and then add gelatin directly to fermentor and cold crash in it for 4 weeks and then keg and carb. I need to cold crash in the fermentor because I will be out of town and can't keg for 4 weeks. Do you think this will be ok?

Yes - that'll work perfectly well.

Kal

OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that this question has been asked, or I've read it somewhere, but when lagering, do you keep it on the yeast or take it off? Does it matter? I've noticed that the recipes will say, 'preferably lager it for 1-2 months before packaging'. Just wondering why.

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically I believe that lagering is done before packaging as you want it on the yeast to clean up a bit more. I've never done it that way as I don't have an easy way to lager on my yeast. I've been happy with my results in doing it the way I mention in my recipe above, so I've kept doing it.

Do a split batch and try both ways and let us know what you think!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: