Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Blonde Ale / Premium Lager
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Blonde Ale / Premium Lager Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/blonde-ale-premium-lager

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:01 am; edited 44 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first batch I made on the system on Feb 27th.

The only flaw in the beer has been my impatience. I have had it kegged and on tap for 3 weeks or so. Up til now it was ok.

Today I tasted it, and it has really changed!

Just as an FYI for those of you scratching your head at how things came together.

I pressure fermented and was complete within 4 days! The yeast moved quickly. Reached FG and let it sit there another 3-4 days. Kegged and sat at serving temp. For 3 weeks.

My APA also is starting to mellow out a particular taste I am not caring for, once again. My impatience was the only fault here.

Felt like I brewed these batches ages ago, it really hasn't been that long Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-MG- wrote:
I pressure fermented and was complete within 4 days! The yeast moved quickly. Reached FG and let it sit there another 3-4 days. Kegged and sat at serving temp.

This was the lager you made or the ale? That seems impossibly fast for lager. For an ale it could work.

When I make this as a lager I ferment for about 2-3 weeks, let it sit for another 2 weeks or so to "clean up" after itself and then rack, add gelatine for 2-3 days to clear, keg, and then let it sit for a month near freezing to lager.

So about 2-3 months from brew day to serving (for a lager).

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-read your post... are you saying that it tasted fine when kegged then after 3 weeks it was no longer good? That's odd. That's probably some sort of infection. It should also be very "green" and young tasting when first kegged. It should really mellow out and become clean tasting a month after lagering. Even 2-3 months is good. I have some lager in the serving freezer that's 8 months old. It's fantastically clean tasting stuff (wife beer).

Not being in a hurry and paying attention to the details makes good beer.

Being in a hurry and trying to take shortcuts can sometimes work if you know what you're doing, but often it results in failure. When things fail you're even farther behind than before.

I like to take the tried and true, zero risk, slow road. When it comes to brewing, be the turtle, not the hare. Wink

Don't have enough beer? Get more kegs. That way you won't be waiting. You'll always have something interesting to drink.
IMHO you should have 2-3 times as many kegs as taps.

Kal

-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Just re-read your post... are you saying that it tasted fine when kegged then after 3 weeks it was no longer good? That's odd. That's probably some sort of infection. It should also be very "green" and young tasting when first kegged. It should really mellow out and become clean tasting a month after lagering. Even 2-3 months is good. I have some lager in the serving freezer that's 8 months old. It's fantastically clean tasting stuff (wife beer).

Kal

Other way around. It got much better after a month of lagering! Before that, it had this sweet taste to it that I couldn't quite figure out. That has gone away.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good! Lagering cleans up a lot.

If it's a rushed fermentation then you may need to lager longer, but if you fermented at way too high a temp then no amount of lagering can fix it.

What temp did you ferment it at?

Kal

-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fermented at exactly 52 ambient.

Closed system fermentation is a new beast to me (huge thread on HBT) on it. I basically had the yeast sitting on 5 PSI for about 4 days, I took a sample through a picnic tap I had on the sanke coupler and let it degas. When I took a hydrometer reading it was at FG. I've heard some lagers under pressure can ferment quick, but 4 days seemed really crazy, which is why I let it sit for another 4 days or so.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should I expect with this yeast? (DRY 34-70 LAGER YEAST) I am brewing my first Lager Friday evening (not this recipe) and just want to know if it is crazy-active or what. What kind of krausen should I expect? Temps to ferment at?
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the recipe:

Quote:
48 g Fermentis Saflager W-34/70 dry lager yeast (assuming you're making 11-12 gallons of wort)
Cool wort to 53F and aerate well. Ferment at 53F until complete. Lager for 1 month.

Lager yeasts are not crazy active since they're kept cold. They move slow. Barely any krausen at these volumes we brew at.
It can take a good 2-4 weeks to finish. Usually done in 2-3 but I leave an extra week. Then rack, add gelatine for a few days to clear, then keg/lager. 1 month is good. 2 months a bit better.

You can't be in a hurry with lagers. Like all beers, try it once and a while (like once a week) to see how it changes.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: I've switched up this recipe a bit to make it either a Blonde Ale or a Premium Lager. Your choice! I often make split batches this way.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I brewed this Blonde Ale yesterday and this is the second time I've made the following changes:

1. Used 10% regular table sugar to help dry it out a bit more, hopefully bringing the FG down to 1.006 - 1.007.

2. Reduced the OG from 1.048 down to 1.044 to compensate for item #1 above as I want this to still be around 5% ABV.

3. Used American Crystal hops for a different taste. Crystal are Mild, and almost 'Noble' if an American hop can be considered noble. To quote Beer Tools Pro: "Used mainly for its aroma which is mild and pleasant".

4. A touch of CarapilsŪ/CarafoamŪ for mouthfeel.

So it's almost like our Cream Ale recipe, actually quite close, just still with Weyermann Pilsner malt instead of 2-row.

It's fermenting now.

As part of my Chico yeast experiment, half of it is on Safale US-05 dry yeast, the other half on White Labs WLP-001 California Ale liquid yeast

Kal

captacl

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brewed this beer on 10/12. Not only was it the first on my electric brewery setup, it was my first brew ever. I was a bit nervous on how it would ferment since my mash temps were not exactly stable the way I wanted them. I am using High Gravity's system and he puts the temp probes at about the 5 gal level and my mash volume was only 4 gallons. I ended up having to manually check the temp throughout the process and was not getting consistent temps throughout the mash. I have a feeling I will be slowly changing the system and in the end it will be closer to kal's. I got a probe to measure the temp on the mash tun outlet valve to solve one of the problems. I may also replace the 25' 3/8" copper herms coil with the one kal uses so I can maintain temps better.

Despite my issues I only missed my OG by .002 and my FG is at 1.009 right now. It tastes good even warm and not carbonated. I plan to start the crash chill process on Saturday. I do have a question for those with more experience though. I am using a SS Brewtech 7gal Conical for fermentation. After I dump the trub/yeast, is it acceptable to just dump in the gelatin mixture through the opening on the lid or will that create to much splashing of the beer. I suppose it can be minimized by pouring slowly but still I am curious if it is wise. Only other option I see would be to completely remove the lid and slowly pour the mixture in from just above the liquid level. Replace the lid and put some co2 in the headspace. Also I am trying to figure if I should fill the keg through the outlet post or just place the hose inside the keg after purging with co2 and filling that way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Anthony
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your first beer Anthony! Sounds like it's going pretty well.

Considering that this is your first batch and you don't know your system's efficiency yet, being off by only by only 2 points on your OG is pretty darned good!

Your fermenter is completely full of CO2 at the moment. Feel free to dump in some gelatine dissolved in warm water and give it a gentle stir. If you have the means to blanket with CO2 after (just in case) do so as well. Wait 2-3 days and then dump the gunk and keg or bottle.

When I fill kegs I use a racking cane and vinyl hose that goes to the bottom of the keg though the keg lid. I don't fill through the quick disconnect (outlet post). You can do it that way too of course. Either way works.

Good for you to purge your vessels with CO2 before racking - that helps avoid stability/oxidation issues down the road. Not the biggest issue with this beer (it's more important on very hoppy beers) but it's a good practice to get in to.

Sounds like you've got all well in hand. Let us know how the final beer turns out. Once kegged, leave it for 2-4 weeks on CO2 to carb (and condition). Sample it every few days and you'll see how it gets better with time.

Cheers,

Kal

captacl

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kal for the advice. I don't know if I have anything to give it a stir without removing the lid. I might have to pick up a racking cane just for that purpose. I will of course update once I taste a carbed sample. Looking forward to brewing the Amber on 11/21.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captacl wrote:
Thanks kal for the advice. I don't know if I have anything to give it a stir without removing the lid. I might have to pick up a racking cane just for that purpose.

I wouldn't bother. Just dump it in and give the fermenter a very gentle rock and you'll be fine.

I typically add gelatine to my 5 gallon carboys (used as brite tanks) after fermentation is 100% done and then some. They're usually full right to the neck. I add the half cup or so of distilled water with gelatine dissolved in it and give the carboy a very gentle swirl. Nothing more is needed. Within a day or so most of the gunk will have precipitated out. I leave it for 2-3 days total and by then you have a very clear beer.

Kal

captacl

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So come Saturday I will plan the following:

Dump the trub and yeast
Make the gelatin mixture and pour it in from the port on the lid.
Put a little co2 in just in case then give it a gentle shake
Set my temperature controller to drop temp over 2 days to 36 degrees
Let it sit at 36 for 2 days then keg (total time with gelatin would be 4 days)

Would that plan work? Should I drop the temp faster or perhaps lower then 36? Let it sit at that temp longer?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you made the ale and not the lager (lager requires a different process as per the recipe above).

So your plan will work Drop the temp as fast as you want since (I'm assuming) fermentation should be long done given it's been 2 weeks.
You can drop it as lower if you like, even 32F is fine, but 36F is ok too.

Kal

captacl

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kal I should have specified I did the ale version. Thanks for the prompt responses. I wanted my first brew to be a simple fermentation. My first attempt at a lager will probably be your pilsner recipe in December. I am sure I will have questions when the time comes.

Last edited by captacl on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
bjcarlisle25

Drinking: NB Dead Ringer - First brew ever

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: BeerTools Pro import file Reply with quote

Is there anyway that you have the recipe in BeerXML format or something that Beer Tools can read.

I'm lazy Cross
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: BeerTools Pro import file Reply with quote

bjcarlisle25 wrote:
Is there anyway that you have the recipe in BeerXML format or something that Beer Tools can read.

I'm lazy Cross

Sorry, not something I plan on offering.

I've tried exporting and importing some of my recipes using the BeerXML standard and even when the source and target program is the same (Beer Tools Pro), it does some funky stuff with some of the numbers that doesn't many any sense.

For example, I just tried with an English IPA I brewed yesterday and it screwed up a bunch of stuff like:

- Put the dry hops into boil hops at 0 mins..
- Changed the yeast quantity from vials to litres.
- Told me I needed 2 litres of whirlflock tablets. Wink

The beer above only has 4 things in it.... should take 20 seconds to enter into your brewing software.
You'd have to change the efficiency and hop AA anyway as you won't have the same numbers as me anyway.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: