Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Weizen / Weissbier
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
We shall see! I use two conical's so I've given it lots of time in the fermenter. 16 days in and it's stable at 1.01. The sample tasted great today...very clean. I think it's going to be a great beer.
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...just had my first glass. I've got to say, this was the first beer I've made that I'm completely satisfied with (also the least boozy!). Easy drinking...the yeast is all there and I can totally taste a subtle hint of banana kept in check by the cool 62 degree fermentation. Probably my favorite beer yet. Can't wait to brew the Electric IPA Seasonable next!

McGruber

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Mill gap setting Reply with quote

I made a Saison recently that had about 5% white wheat, and had trouble hitting the correct gravity. I think I mashed out/ sparged too fast as part of the problem. I also think that when I milled the malt and wheat together that a fair amount of the wheat didn't get crushed - I did see at least some uncrushed wheat in the bucket. I've looked at several forums and the suggestions are quite varied (milling twice, milling with malt as I did, and all kinds of crush sizes - all with varying results). I'm going to condition my malt next time and mill the wheat separately.

Any suggestions on what to set the mill gap at for wheat based beers?
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brewed this one yesterday. I must say I had a very smooth enjoyable brew day. I am really dialing in my electric Kal clone-ish type system (the difference is I use Sabco Kegs and tri clover fittings). My outside lanai smelled wonderful while brewing up this recipe. After boil gravity was 1.051, I'll take it! Since I don't have the same kettles or false bottom as Kal I did use rice hulls in my mash tun as I was a little worried about a stuck mash and sparge using this much wheat, and they worked perfectly. Absolutely no problems at all and I am even getting faster at setting up and breaking down my system, since I have to store my rig in the garage and brew on the back lanai. Thanks again Kal for an awesome system that just plain works and puts out some delicious beer! Looking forward to kegging and tasting this one. I'll report back when I do.

John

Last edited by jcav on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's working out well for you John - please do report back once it's been fermented and kegged and let us know how it tastes! This one doesn't need any aging at all... just long enough to carb up.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, just tapped this one and had the first pours tonight. Gotta say this is a very good example of a hefeweizen! Great nose, the wheat comes through and with this yeast fermented at 62 degrees it really made for a balanced and very delicious beer. Mine finished at 1.010 and is 5.4% alcohol but it is so smooth and drinks like a much lighter beer. There is some clove, very slight banana, and fruitiness. I also get a nice slight lemony/citrus note as well. It also is cloudy and effervescent on the tongue. I really like it and this is one to make over and over. Thanks for posting!

John

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Glad you're enjoying it John. Thanks for the feedback!

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this 60/40 between wheat and pilsner just ballpark, because 11 and 7.32 isn't 60/40...What's with the highly specific pilsner malt weight?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 and 7.32 is 60.04% (11/18.32) and 39.96% (7.32/18.32). That's pretty close to 60/40 to me! Wink

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
11 and 7.32 is 60.04% (11/18.32) and 39.96% (7.32/18.32). That's pretty close to 60/40 to me! Wink

Kal

You're darn right. I think I had 1lb of rice hulls in my total grain amounts when figuring the percentages! woops!
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brewed this up. Hit about 1.051 I think F.G., maybe 1.050 (got a silly triple scale hydrometer and its impossible to read accurately!).

I lost siphon on my BK diptube through the hop stopper though...that was a first. I've done 5 batches so far and never had a problem (even with 15 oz of hops), but it seemed like the white wheat malt must've really caked onto the hop stopper or something? Is that normal?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no malt in the boil kettle if you recirculated long enough in the mash as the grain bed acts as a natural filter.

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I guess I meant more like hot break material. It just seemed pretty caked up for only adding 2.85 oz of hops.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've made this beer, but I don't remember anything different or odd about it when I made it.

Kal

Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fired up the starter for a Wizen. Plan is to brew on Thursday, wife has a friend who is interested in getting into homebrew beyond drinking it, so he's going to come over and help. He's seen the system (Kal Style panel, kettles are what I could scrounge, so not a true Kal Clone) but hasn't seen it run.

6lb Wheat Malt
4lb Pilsner Malt
1/2 lb rice hulls (I have a less than great false bottom in my MLT, it's next on the upgrade list)
1oz Hallertau Mittlefruh 4.5% AA

Using WLP 300, Local shop doesn't carry Wyeast, and it's still too hot to ship yeast here.
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the fastest fermenting beer I've ever made.. 1.046 to 1.014 in 76 hours.

Here is the Time/Gravity Readings.
17 AUG 1600 1.045
18 AUG 1930 1.036
20 AUG 2000 1.014

Temp has been stable at 62F the whole time.
Master

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapped the Hefewizen tonight.. After studying for six hours for a job interview, I needed a break.. And my keg of Bitter JO IIPA kicked one pint in.

It's good. Clovey. Very subtle, but noticeable in the aftertaste banana-y.

My wife thinks it should have a Minion inspired name due to their obsession with Bananas.

Hefewizen.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.1 KB
 Viewed:  24779 Time(s)

Hefewizen.jpg

zoranerceg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,this is my Hefeweizen i clone your recipe and i pretty happy about result,nice balanced not to much banana flavor,nice creamy head

image1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.34 KB
 Viewed:  24117 Time(s)

image1.JPG

image2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.94 KB
 Viewed:  24117 Time(s)

image2.JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Kal

tomcolt

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,
I brewed this one up exactly as you listed the ingredients and I followed your recommended water profile. It is spectacular! Feremented right around 62-64 degrees. Slight banana nose and great flavor. Thanks for this one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: