Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Weizen / Weissbier
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Weizen / Weissbier Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/weizen-weissbier

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:12 pm; edited 45 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you personally had luck with getting any really really strong banana flavors? That is what i was looking for when I brewed a similar recipe and i couldn't achieve that. I tried to ferment at higher temps around 70 but I just get a hint of banana. I read that under pitching brings the banana flavor out too. Any advice?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can get really strong banana flavours out of WY3068 yeast (or any other yeast for that matter). It's more about balance.

As mentioned above, Jamil Z. gives some good advice on fermentation temperature for Wyeast 3068 from his Brewing Classic Styles book which I follow: Ferment at 62F.

What this does is remove a lot of the esters and other flavour bi-products you'll normally get when fermenting at ale temps which in turn helps to not mask the clove/banana.

But to get strong banana flavours you just can't get it IMHO. Even Wyeast themselves say that this yeast strain produces a "beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics". Key word being delicate.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not contradict anything, but I was able to get a really strong banana flavor and aroma using an equal ratio combinaton of White Labs WLP 300 Hefeweizen Ale and White Labs WLP 320 American Hefeweizen, fermented at 62 degrees.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! White Labs selling yeast blends is not new (they have a few blends available), but I've never heard of customers blending their own. What made you want to try this? Just curious!

Kal

OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't by design, but necessity! My local brew shop had 3 vials of the WLP 300 when I first went in, but when I went back to get more, they didn't have any more. They only had WLP 320. Reading the characteristics of both, and talking with them, they have been in the business for about 30 years so I trusted them, I went with the 320. I did 3 vials of each because that is how my brain works. So far, so good!
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the advice of Jamil on my batch using wyeast 3068. Though I didn't use this recipe exactly, I did end up with a beautiful weisebier that recently took first place in a German styles-only competition.
You really want to heed the warning! I had 11 gallons in a15 gallon fermenter... It blew off well over another gallon! And since I did an open fermentation, that naturally ended up all over my Chamber.
Oh also, it is really best to under pitch. In that 11 gallon batch I pitched only one smack pack. No starter, just the pack. That yeast is a monster!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should turn out fine as you said.

I've never used either but WLP300 is supposed to be similar or identical to WY3068 (both are "famous German yeast used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.").

WLP320 is supposed to produce less banana and clove notes.

I suppose if you're short on WLP300 and don't have time to make a starter, WLP320 would make a lot of sense.

Kal

OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried my new Spiedel fermenter as it would hold the entire batch in one container for fewer variables. I tried something new for me also. I never moved or did any transfers of the wort once in the fermenter. I pitched the yeast into this as it was in the chamber, and then when it was time to clarify i just left it all in the same fermenter and crash chilled. I was worried that it wouldnt be clean enough, but it came out like crystal. I am excited about it once it gets carbonated. Will let you know.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to do everything in a single vessel because you can drop the slurry/sediment out the bottom is definitely one of the big advantages of conicals.

Kal

dlemyre

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this recipe this week end.

It's currently fermenting right now, but I'm wondering when it will be ready to drink?

Should I wait a month or two like the lagers?

thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - Hefe's are best drunk young. Ferment until the gravity hasn't changed over 3-5 days (assumine it's where you want it to be), then carbonate for a week or two (or fast card overnight) and serve.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dlemyre

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for the information, it's really appreciated.
OkieDokie

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did mine, it took about a month including fermentation to carbonation. It did get drunk fast but it improved a bit over the second month. Friends loved it!
dlemyre

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then it should be ready for summer time!
busted knuckle

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this a few week ago. Simple and delicious. I have a Kal clone, no stuck mash, no rice hulls.

Other Notes:
I built a 3068 starter and it overflowed out of the flask. I ferment in a sanke keg with a brewers hardware conversion kit. This yeast blew out of the sanke keg. I had a ton of slurry in my jug of star san.
Viper

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I make this a honey Weiss?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably by sub'ing out some of the malt or wheat for honey malt? I can't offer any further suggestions given that I've never heard of or made a honey Weiss. Maybe someone else can offer suggestions?

Kal

Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 days in the fermenter for me. Blow off was crazy...made a 3 gallon starter from two smack packs...put 5.5 gallons in each 7 gallon conical and still had quite the show. Fermented at 62 like suggested...had very strong sulfur odour which has all dissipated now. Gravity dropped like a stone from 1.045 (might be higher than that...used a refractometer for the first time and got variable readings) to 1.015 measured today. Can definitely taste the wheat and it has an almost...delicate lemon flavor for me. Not getting banana but maybe after carbonation?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowoff tube or huge headspace definitely required (or both)! (Per the warnings from the manufacturer that I reposted up in the recipe).

I don't remember if the banana wasn't there right from the start (been a while since I brewed this one) - I wouldn't think that it would come out later (?). Maybe someone who's brewed it recently can chime in.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: