Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Fermentation "Chamber"

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Fermentation "Chamber" Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Started last week building a Temperature controlled fermentation "chamber". It will hole three 6.5 gal fermenters or carboys. Started with a 4'x8' piece of 2" thick foam board.. cut it up an glued it together. I was able to get the four sides and the top out of that piece. i also bought a 2' x4' piece of 1" foam, i cut two pieces and stacked for a 2' bottom and another piece to glue to the inside of the top to make it 3" thick. Foil taped up all the seam and wala! a $45 "fridge". i had an old "dorm" fridge from one of my kid's college days, so i cut a hole in the side and inserted it. I built a dual control box much like Bobby_M's but added a little "Kal Bling" with a on/off switch and a couple element lights. Everything in the control box was left over from my original build except the Love controller and the 6"x6" plastic box.

just ran a test.. dropped from 65.6 degrees to 50.1 in 18 minutes and has been holding steady for some time now. there are dual receptacles on either side, one for cooling and the other side for heating ( light bulb ).. i also have a couple computer cooling fans that i can insert inside to circulate the air.

pics below

Silverspoons

DSCN0201.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  262.2 KB
 Viewed:  18664 Time(s)

DSCN0201.JPG

DSCN0202.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  270.13 KB

DSCN0202.JPG

DSCN0206.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  302.81 KB

DSCN0206.JPG

DSCN0210.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  263.5 KB

DSCN0210.JPG

DSCN0213.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  266.21 KB

DSCN0213.JPG

DSCN0216.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  296.06 KB

DSCN0216.JPG

DSCN0223.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.41 KB

DSCN0223.JPG

View user's photo album (6 photos)
KES

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, you lost me on the frig part. The frig is attached next to the chamber?
cscade

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I'm interested in more details about the refrigeration aspect. I have built a huge ferment chamber with a window A/C unit before, but I have since moved and have been researching more space-efficient options since. Right now I have nothing, I use the very tedious "towels and panic" method of fermentation control. It's effective, but leaves much to be desired Wink

Heating things is no big deal. Cooling is such a pain in the butt.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KES wrote:
very nice, you lost me on the frig part. The frig is attached next to the chamber?

I removed the door from the dorm fridge, its 19"x17", cut a hole in the side of the chamber and "inserted the open fridge in..

set it to 54 degrees before i went to bed last night and in the morning....... right on at 54..

Silverspoons

DSCN0227.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  269.58 KB
 Viewed:  18629 Time(s)

DSCN0227.JPG

DSCN0229.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  315.29 KB
 Viewed:  18629 Time(s)

DSCN0229.JPG

KES

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now I got it. Thanks, Castermmt. Like the temp controllor too, very well done.
-MG-

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I was building something just like this before until I moved the freezer tray in my fridge around and blew the coolant line. That's what lead to me taking an old side by side fridge and making it my chamber.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. But with only one panel tag, how will you remember what the lights mean?! Very Happy

I'm got a couple of spare upright fridge freezers, so I'm working on a UberFridge - http://www.elcojacobs.com/uberfridge/

silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the time to look at the video for the UberFridge.. looks really nice, way more than what i need but! i think that's part of what we all enjoy about this build..

Keep us posted

Silverspoons
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: