Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Scaling back roasted malts

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
houndbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Scaling back roasted malts Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I brewed 6 gallon BIAB batches for several years and have several recipes dialed in that were formulated over the years. I took all these older recipes and used Beersmith to scale them up to my new Kal clone and have noticed that the roast character is much stronger than I am wanting and sometimes overpowering.

On two of the recipes, I decided to re-brew and scaled back the roasted grain amounts by 20%, leaving all others equal. They were much better that way. I was just curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing or if it's something I'm doing.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of discussions on it:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/regarding-specialty-malts-and-scaling-recipes-for-mash-efficiencies.573724/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/476t3d/tuesday_recipe_critique_formulation/d0b3613/

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
houndbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting reads, thank you!

I used Beersmith to adjust the recipes. It looks like from the comments the formulas adjust the grains to meet expected OG and then try to stay at the same SRM.

My friend went from 10 gallons to 5 barrels and scaled up the recipes with Beersmith and brewed them exactly as Beersmith spit them out. His brewhouse efficiency was the same on both systems though so maybe that is why he was still spot on. In my case, I was jumping from a 6 gallon 70% brewhouse efficiency to a 12 gallon 85% brewhouse efficiency. I'm wondering if the 'double switch' of volume and bh efficiency is where things got goofed up.

If there are any Beersmith users out there, based on those threads, my plan going forward is to use Beersmith to scale the recipe and then double check the grist ratios in the scaled recipe against the original recipe and adjust from there. I played around with my dry stout recipe and it is pretty close to the 20% scale back I had adjusted it to prior.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean brewhouse efficiency or mash/conversion efficiency?

I don't see how brewhouse efficiency could affect anything about the actual beer as over and above mash/conversion efficency as it most just adds on losses that you incur due to packaging/etc. See this pic:

https://cdn.brewersfriend.com/understanding_efficiency_large.png

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
houndbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry - Beersmith lets you control on brewhouse efficency as an input and I was playing around with that while typing this up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: