Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Fuller's ESB
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Fuller's ESB Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/fullers-esb

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:54 pm; edited 46 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
WahooBrewingCo

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Starting the Fuller's ESB Reply with quote

Kal,
I'm trying two version of this recipe. Much like you split your batches into Ale and Lagers I'm going to run one with some reclaimed WLP001 and then the Wyeast Fullers ESB. With the California Ale yeast it'll flocculate much higher so less startling of the fermentor if I can avoid it.

Will let ya know.

Na Zdrowie! - James

Drink It! Yell It! Wahoo!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I think the yeast in this beer is critical. I'm not sure how I'd like WLP001/Wyeast 1056/US-05 on this beer. You want something that doesn't attenuate too much and gives the beer that English malty taste, with a slight sweetness/fruitiness. I'd much rather split this one across WY1968 (Fullers yeast) and some other English Ale strain like WY1028.

Of course, you may experiment and try anything you like!

Kal

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that this has turned out to be an excellent beer! I've only had Fuller's one time so I can't really compare the two, but regardless this one came out great! I made a 6 gal batch (5 gal in the keg) and used a single WLP002 pitched from an 800ml starter. I also used Target in place of the Northdown hops.

This one will be made again, and will likely be a permanent resident on one of my 7 taps!
View user's photo album (6 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Glad you like it! It's pretty much a permanent resident on my taps as well. Every once an a while I like a nice malty English ESB when I get tired of hoppy Americans.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I fixed a typo in the recipe. The amount of Crystal 90L Malt should be 1.5 lbs, not 2.5 lbs. The 7.3% of grist number was correct.

Sorry about that!

I've made this beer with varying amounts (from 10% down to the 7.3%) and different types of crystal malt and keeping it a bit lower seems to work best and avoids an overly cloying / sweet beer. The yeast is not very attenuative so you have to be careful with how much crystal you use as well as mash temp (I keep mash temp low).

Kal

silverbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

I have just brewed 12 gallons of this recipe and it has fermented down to 1016 and is sitting in the fermenter with the dry hops in. The beer tastes fine, but has a hint of roughness that I assume will bugger off during maturation? I will try my damnedest to not drink it during those couple of weeks, but may fail....I am only human.

I am going to need to put some in 500cc bottles, and some in 5 litre easykegs so I can treat it like cask ale should be treated.

My question are, how much dextrose powder should each bottle have to carbonate the beer to a low ish level, and how much for the 5 litre easykegs? Also, how much beer should I actually put in an easykeg, and what pressure should I see in the easykeg during carbonation? I am aware that easykegs can balloon if they get over carbonated, and I have a pressure gauge attached to the bung to keep track of this, but I have no idea what pressure I should allow it to go up to, or what pressure our English casks get to while sitting in the pub cellars waiting to cool down and have the pressure released and served.

Any comments are welcome!!

I have a cask aspirator and I have a Firkin, and I have a beer engine, but all that is for later......For now I will be cooling the easykegs to 13 deg C, letting the pressure out gently down to atmospheric, and connecting the bung to a beach ball full of Co2 so it is not pressurized in any way. That should simulate a cellar, a cask aspirator, and cask conditions as near as is needed.

While testing the beer engine with Corny kegs, I noticed the beer engine can easily suck the poppet valve in the lid open and suck in air, so anyone experimenting with this combo may need to be careful. With a cask aspirator connected, you have no way of knowing if the suction the beer engine is providing is offset by the aspirator or the poppet opening, as the cask aspirator is silent when working.

If bottled beer is cooled to 13 degrees C and is then kept at that temperature (stc 1000 and fridge) then you can gently let out the excess pressure in each bottle by lifting the crown caps slightly. The beer now sits at atmospheric pressure with Co2 above it, and is perfectly simulating a cask of beer in an English pub cellar, except for the yeasty hoppy crudd in the bottom.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverbrewer wrote:
I have just brewed 12 gallons of this recipe and it has fermented down to 1016 and is sitting in the fermenter with the dry hops in. The beer tastes fine, but has a hint of roughness that I assume will bugger off during maturation?

All beer will mellow over time. That said, I don't remember any roughness from my samples during kegging (I've brewed this one 3-4 times now). Now that said, I do brew a lot of really hoppy American IPAs so maybe my definition of rough is a harsher beer than you're used to. ;0

Quote:
My question are, how much dextrose powder should each bottle have to carbonate the beer to a low ish level, and how much for the 5 litre easykegs?

I'm not sure. I haven't used priming sugar in years. It depends on what carb volume you want to go to. There's likely some calculators available out there that can tell you how much sugar to use for the volumes of CO2 you want to target. That said, see my original recipe for hints on carbing this beer - I prefer cask or on a nitro/CO2 blend instead of straight CO2.

Quote:
Also, how much beer should I actually put in an easykeg, and what pressure should I see in the easykeg during carbonation? I am aware that easykegs can balloon if they get over carbonated, and I have a pressure gauge attached to the bung to keep track of this, but I have no idea what pressure I should allow it to go up to, or what pressure our English casks get to while sitting in the pub cellars waiting to cool down and have the pressure released and served.

Sorry - I don't know. I've never used that product. Maybe some others can chime in to help.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
silverbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of describing the "roughness" would be a slight "earthy" or "leafy" taste! It is not too bad, and the last pint of cask ESB I drank exhibited the same sort of thing, and was worse, so none of this critique is meant to be negative to the recipe quality. I drink a lot of ESB both bottled and cask, and am comparing this brew with how ESB tastes when it is at it's best.....

I will be casking mine within a few brews, but for now it is bottles and tins. I am going to go with 1/4 teaspoon of priming sugar per bottle, which is half of what is used by many, and I will go to an eighth of a teaspoon per 500cc in the 5 litre tins, so lets say 1 teaspoon per tin. Hopefully it will prime up a bit but not too much!!!!

Cannot wait to see the results. I will bottle it all this weekend, and do another 12 gallon brew the weekend after, when I have bought more yeast.
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... this will be one of the mainstays here at the mancave... I USED to get FULLERS IPA by the keg about fifteen years ago but haven't seen it since.... is there any way at all possible to find that recipe? The Fullers IPA was my absolute favorite; American IPA's IMHO are just WAY over hopped although good but not my favorite by any stretch.
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I've never heard of or had a Fullers IPA. But it certainly seems to exist when you Google it!

Let me know if you ever come across a recipe.

Jerz wrote:
American IPA's IMHO are just WAY over hopped ...

Now that's just crazy talk. I suggest you try this: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26749

Wink

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA... I saw that Triple IPA and I DEFINITELY will be trying that once I get my build finished... don't get me wrong.... I DO like Grapefruit Juice so those overly hopped IPA's DO have a time and place to be consumed depending on the weather but when I think of Fullers ESB the flavor I think most of is Caramel.... but definitely not sweet. Fullers fresh on tap is definitely my all time favorite.
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mine too. It is indeed a nice change when you don't want something overly hoppy.

Kal

RBGilbert2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal

Curious as to the salt concentrations listed in the recipe. Seems like there's too much calcium for the chloride and sulfate; the water calculators can't find a solution to making that mix from RO. As I recollect, your water is pretty soft.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBGilbert2 wrote:
Kal

Curious as to the salt concentrations listed in the recipe. Seems like there's too much calcium for the chloride and sulfate; the water calculators can't find a solution to making that mix from RO. As I recollect, your water is pretty soft.

Correct. My city water's close to RO. Looking at one of the times I brewed this, I had my starting water at:

Ca=9.9, Mg=2.4, Na=17.4, Cl=6.5, SO4=28.1

The target from the recipe is:

Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=17, Cl=49, S04=92

So I added:

2.4g Calc Chloride to the mash
3.1g Calc Chloride to the boil

4.5g Epsom salt to the mash
5.8g Calc Chloride to the boil

5.2g chalk to the mash
6.7g chalk to the boil

This got me to:

Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=17, Cl=49, S04=92

I use EZWaterCalculator for this.

Kal

captacl

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to brew this for a New Year's Eve party I am going to/hosting and was planning to brew this the day after thanksgiving so its ready in time. I was trying to source all the ingredients for this ESB and the Amber I plan to brew the week before. Unfortunately my LHBS does not have the 90L Crystal Malt or Northdown hops. In the email he suggested using 80L and Northern Brewer hops instead since that's the closest thing they carry to those ingredients. Should I go that route or spend the extra money to get the correct ingredients online from Northern Brewer. Thanks for your input.

Anthony
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captacl wrote:
I would like to brew this for a New Year's Eve party I am going to/hosting and was planning to brew this the day after thanksgiving so its ready in time. I was trying to source all the ingredients for this ESB and the Amber I plan to brew the week before. Unfortunately my LHBS does not have the 90L Crystal Malt or Northdown hops. In the email he suggested using 80L and Northern Brewer hops instead since that's the closest thing they carry to those ingredients. Should I go that route or spend the extra money to get the correct ingredients online from Northern Brewer. Thanks for your input.

Anthony

I had the same issue with the Northdown hops and have been using Target in their place. I've been very pleased with the results, as have others that are ESB fans.

As to the malt my LHBS has 85L which is close enough if you can get that.

If possible you might want to give yourself another week to ferment and condition, but it'll still be a nice ale if not.

Enjoy!
View user's photo album (6 photos)
captacl

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the closest I would be able to get is the Briess 80L Crystal Malt without ordering online. They don't seem to carry much in the way of British Caramel/Crystal Malts. Since its only about 7% of the grain bill I am not sure I would even notice a difference. I also still haven't decided if it is worth ordering Northdown hops or just replacing it with Northern Brewer instead and save money on shipping. Again, either way I will probably still enjoy the results immensely.

I don't believe I will be able to brew this any sooner but I think I should get a good result after a month. I don't think many beer drinkers will be present at this party anyway so a good portion of it will have time to age further.
ettar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this recipe Kal, im trying it next week! Ill split a part of this batch with denny's favorite because i have it on hand and i want to see if it's still viable ( ive cultured it from a starter 2 months ago...)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captacl wrote:

I've made this beer about half a dozen times now, sometimes with hop substitutions. The result's very similar/very good of course. Your subs are fairly minor so it would be very hard to tell the difference.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: