Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Scaling up a recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkiCub

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Scaling up a recipe Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I found a recipe in Jamil and JJ's book, Brewing Classic Styles, that looks good: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter. I like that the hazelnut comes in the end and I can vary the amount, or even introduce vanilla, or nothing, to the base chocolate porter. The question now is how to scale their 5 gal recipes up to 10 gal using all grain on our EB system?

From the recipe (pg. 266): "if using all grain, replace the light extract with 11.4 lbs American 2-row and the Munich extract with 1.5 lbs of Munich malt and mash at 156F for 60 min. OG 1.066, FG 1.019."
They make the assumption of an efficiency of 70% for malt yield. I was thinking our EB set up is more in the 80-90% efficiency?
Simply doubling the grain bill would lead to a 34 lb. total grain bill! I'm thinking that grain bed would be too thick and could affect sparging no?

Help! How do I convert this recipe to a 10gal EB batch???
Many thanks!
View user's photo album (2 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkiCub wrote:
They make the assumption of an efficiency of 70% for malt yield. I was thinking our EB set up is more in the 80-90% efficiency?

Correct. But it vary depending on your process and exactly what equipment you use.

Quote:

Enter the recipe into your brewing software and use the built in tools to scale based on (a) the amount you want to brew, and (b) your system's efficiency.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Scaling up a recipe Reply with quote

SkiCub wrote:

Or read a book like Designing Great Beers. Software is great, but learning the math behind it will give you a better understanding of what makes a beer what it is.

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book foomench recommends is excellent and worth adding to your library.

If you want to play around with scaling in software check out https://www.brewersfriend.com/#a_aid=5982783965026

You can enter a few recipes and store for free, and if you like it you can subscribe.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bringing back an old thread, but on the topic of scaling...

What are your opinions on yeast scaling. Specifically dry yeast.

Most of Kal's recipes that use dry yeast call for 36 grams. Scaling them up to a 1BBL scale using the software puts it somewhere in the neighborhood of 100g of yeast. So that's exactly what I pitch.

I don't rehydrate, create a starter or wash my yeast from previous batches, but rather just sprinkle 100g of fresh dry yeast on top of the 1BBL of wort. Typically it takes about 24 hours before I see bubbling coming out of the blowoff (1/2" ID hosing, so I imagine some of the time is the pressure building enough in this wider blowoff)

So generally speaking and in your opinion, am I over/under pitching and changing up the beer using this logic?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
Most of Kal's recipes that use dry yeast call for 36 grams.

If they're a ~5% ABV ale. If they're higher ABV or a lager then my dry yeast pitch rate will be higher. If it's a lower ABV ale then the pitch rate is lower. Same as liquid yeast.

Some examples:

24g in https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-pale-ale-sessionable-version
48g in https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/green-flash-west-coast-ipa
52g in https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/russian-river-pliny-the-younger-triple-ipa
60g in https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/russian-imperial-stout-bourbon-barrel-aged
68g in https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/american-barleywine
72g in https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/german-pilsner

Quote:
I don't rehydrate, create a starter or wash my yeast from previous batches, but rather just sprinkle 100g of fresh dry yeast on top of the 1BBL of wort.

That's fine and is what I recommend. So just scale up (or down) what I recommend based on your batch size. Just like any other ingredient. All brewing software will do this for you.

alphakry wrote:
Typically it takes about 24 hours before I see bubbling coming out of the blowoff (1/2" ID hosing, so I imagine some of the time is the pressure building enough in this wider blowoff)

Yeast lag time is mostly due to the yeast reproducing to get up to the desired density before they go to lunch and start fermenting.

alphakry wrote:
So generally speaking and in your opinion, am I over/under pitching and changing up the beer using this logic?

If (for example) you are making x2 as much beer as in my recipes and pitching x2 as much yeast and are following my recommended pitching method, you are neither over or under pitching per my recommendations. You're just scaling up or down.

Now that said, per my yeast starter guide, pitch rates are very controversial. So do whatever works for you.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: