Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Russian River Pliny The Elder Double IPA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
No.. i actually had a short in the other end, not the end i soldered.

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverspoons wrote:
No.. i actually had a short in the other end, not the end i soldered.

Silverspoons

Ahh you mean where the actual probe plugs in.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i took that end apart to investigate and one of the wires was close to breaking off

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
crypt0

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this recipe turn out? I have seen a couple variations of the recipe posted, and have tried a different one. It was okay, but way more bitter then the real Pliny and not nearly as much aroma. I'd almost given up when I was recently out west and had a chance to try Pliny again... This is a beer I must clone Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had the real stuff so I can't compare... It's not available everywhere and I believe that Russian River purposely limits distribution to ensure it stays fresh. Maybe some of the others who tried this recipe have?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I've never had the real stuff so I can't compare... some of the others who tried this recipe have?

I have had a single bomber of the real stuff. The clone came out pretty close but the real thing had a certain refined character that set it apart. I did not have them side by side to do a real comparison though.

My batch was really, really good though. I did notice the flavor has dropped considerably over time as I have not been able to consume 10 gallons of such a high ABV beer very quickly.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to taste the real stuff but man, the high alcohol content makes it rough to drink 2-3. also, I live out in the sticks so my friends cannot drink it and try to get home in one piece (and not spend a night behind bars). If I make it again, I will only make 5 gallons.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Russian River Pliny The Elider!

This beer has been ranked as the #1 beer in America for 5 years in a row now by the American Homebrewers Association's Zymurgy magazine, as voted by its members (ie: You!).

Ingredients are also available in kit form. Two are available: All grain or Extract.

Kal

tomm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing PLE according to this recipe... Somehow the Hop Stopper got knocked loose. We ended up transferring the whole nasty mess to our fermentation buckets. Damn.

Yeast is pitched. What do we do now? I'm wondering if we should rack immediately to clean buckets, wondering if all that hop trub from the boil will affect the final beer.

Advice appreciated! Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 21 oz of boil kettle hops are now in the fermenter? Hmm. Interesting I've never heard of that happening! If the yeast isn't actively fermenting, you could let the hops settle out and then carefully rack off the hop sediment into a clean fermenters. Some hops will of course get over but most should not.

Part of me is also curious what would happen if you do nothing. I don't know if it'll actually do much harm as the hops that were boiled for a long time have really nothing much left in them and the ones that were late boil additions are basically like dry hopping but the CO2 from the vigorous fermentation will drive off a lot of the oils (one of the reasons you wait for fermentation to die down mostly before dry hopping).

I probably wouldn't take the risk and would rack off, but only if there's hop sludge to rack off of (ie: the yeast isn't actively fermenting and stirring everything up).

Kal

Fejj

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would think at most the beer will taste a little more vegetative then it should because all thats left is plant fiber.
tomm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow up:

Brewed this Sunday, 11/10, pitched late Sunday afternoon at 64F.

The recipe isn't exactly Kal's, we used hop shots for our bittering hops. I decided to just let it be and see what happens.

On Monday afternoon no bubbling from blowoff tubes but definitely fermentation chamber was smelling like, well, fermentation!

On Tuesday afternoon, full-on bubbling - Yay!

This afternoon (Wednesday) bubbling slowing down but still fairly steady. Plan going forward is to let it sit another week or so, then rack off to secondaries to start the dry hopping.
Lechien

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, When is the best time to add the sugar?
View user's photo album (7 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add the corn sugar with about 10 mins left in the boil. I added some extra text to the recipe - take a look.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lechien

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, just decided spur of the moment to do this. Have all the grain for a 5 gallon batch, I'm subbing Columbus for the Chinook. I have all the other hops.
Cheers!
View user's photo album (7 photos)
iMark76

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you dissolved gelatine in a cup of hot distilled water,
you put straight into the cone or expect it to become
room temperature? Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pouring it straight in is fine.

Kal

brianbarley

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article by Vinnie: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. One of the early (2009) articles in Zymurgy with one of the many versions of the recipe. A good read about technique and other tricks/tips.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site. I've also added two versions of the recipe: The original from 2004, as well as a revised 2019 version that produces something closer to the beer as sold today.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/russian-river-pliny-the-elder-double-ipa

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: