Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/sierra-nevada-torpedo-extra-ipa

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:06 am; edited 42 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brewed this beer again on November 30 after almost 2 years of not making it. This was batch #149. I was forgetting what I was missing! Hop smell in the brewery is absolutely great. It's fermenting at around 66F ambient.

Kal

Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one of my favorite store bought brews as well, especially now since they have it in the 16oz cans! (I'm a sucker for beer in cans thanks to oskar blues)
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend bring up a bottle of this last week for me to remind me how good it is.

He also brought two others I can't get around here: Bell's Two hearted and a Shorts Huma Lupa Licious. As far as beer goes, I HATE living in Canada!

Kal

twallin

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off thanks for posting this recipe Kal, it turned out great. I buy Torpedo regularly and it is one of my favorite 2 APA's, Ninkasa TD being the other. I felt like aroma and bitterness were pretty close. I didn't get the maltiness of a torpedo though. I tend to copy most of your processes, you have a way for explaining things that click for me easier than in the books. Anyways, I assumed that you add your crystal when you mash, but I have also read you can also add it just for the sparge since it is highly modified. How do you do it? Also do you think I could improve on maltiness if I added more of the 60L or another crystal? ~Happy Holidays~
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the starting/ending gravities of your beer?

It's hard to give suggestions as it depends on really what you mean by 'maltiness'. You could replace the 2-row with something like Maris Otter, or bump up the 60L crystal to maybe 8-10%, or increase the mash temp to 155-156F if you found that yours finished too dry (below 1.014).

I've always mashed highly modified malts like crystal right in the mash from teh start, simply because it's the easist and doesn't disturb the grain bed and it they're part of my pH adjustment (they help bring the pH down).

If you do make some changes by all means let us know what you tried and how it turned out.

Kal

twallin

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG 1.061
FG 1.008
Don't get me wrong I feel like I made a great clean beer, really tastes like a west coast APA. I am still a rookie brewer, so I get a little cautious about making changes to recipes and processes. Sometimes I forget that you can change the flavor of your beer just by changing your processes slightly. It might be a while until I brew this again since citra hops are a PITA to find right now, but I will keep you posted.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That finished pretty dry (1.008) so you may want to take a look at why that happened / increase your mash temp.

Kal

wubears71

Drinking: Keg 1- Hefenweizen, Keg 2- Vanilla Scotch Porter, Keg 3-Munich Helles

Working on: Stinky IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike Innovations wrote:
this is one of my favorite store bought brews as well, especially now since they have it in the 16oz cans! (I'm a sucker for beer in cans thanks to oskar blues)

We actually did the automation for the Oskar Blues expansion. My brother led the project and its pretty sweet! I wish I could post pictures, but that is confidential info. O well.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello...
I made that recipe... Great beer!
But my gravity seems a bit off :
OG 1.058
FG 1.023

What could I do to improve that? Mash temp?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulJame wrote:
Hello...
OG 1.058
FG 1.023

1.023 is high. I think the beer would be too sweet tasting.

If you followed the original instructions exactly, then there's likely something about your process that could use improvement. This would not be directly related to this beer or recipe.

We need more information:

- Take a look at the original recipe. Did you change anything? Possibly by mistake? (ex: Too much crystal malt will make a beer overly sweet as it doesn't ferment out).
- What was the mash temp?
- How much yeast did you pitch? How old was it? What yeast was it?
- How long has it been fermenting?
- At what temp did you ferment?
- Was the fermentation temp stable?
- How did you aerate? For how long?

Kal

PaulJame

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

We need more information:

- Take a look at the original recipe. Did you change anything? Possibly by mistake? (ex: Too much crystal malt will make a beer overly sweet as it doesn't ferment out).
- What was the mash temp?
- How much yeast did you pitch? How old was it? What yeast was it?
- How long has it been fermenting?
- At what temp did you ferment?
- Was the fermentation temp stable?
- How did you aerate? For how long?

Kal

I did some changes... We dont have Crystal 60L here, so I use Caramunich II (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/weyermann-caramunich-ii.html)
And I changed Cystal hop with Mt. Hood!

So I got :
2 Row : 95,3%
Caramunich II : 4,7%

- The mash temp was like your recipe ... But I did not do mash out...
- 20g Safale 05 to 6.6 gal
- Fermenting for 3 weeks at 67F (stable)
- Manually aerate for 5 minutes

Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caramunich II is a 46L crystal malt so that is certainly close enough. Doesn't affect fermentation outcome at all since you're still using 4.7% like the recipe calls for.

Hops do not matter as far as final gravity is concerned.

Not doing a mashout may only affect your sugar extraction efficiency so your OG may be lower. Won't affect fermentation.

Speaking of which, your OG is much lower (1.058 instead of 1.069). Did you not account for your system's efficiency when you calculated how much malt to use? The numbers I provide are for a setup with 95% efficiency like mine. You need to adjust the amounts to compensate if your setup does not achieve 95%.

Why 20g of US-05 yeast instead of the 36g I recommend? What size batch where you making?

How old was the yeast? Did you hydrate it first?

When you say "manually aerate" what exactly does that mean?

The more detailed information you can provide, the better we can help.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulJame

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Caramunich II is a 46L crystal malt so that is certainly close enough. Doesn't affect fermentation outcome at all since you're still using 4.7% like the recipe calls for.

Hops do not matter.

Not doing a mashout may only affect your sugar extraction efficiency so your OG may be lower. Won't affect fermentation.

Speaking of which, your OG is much lower (1.058 instead of 1.069). Did you not account for your system's efficiency when you calculated how much malt to use? The numbers I provide are for a setup with 95% efficiency like mine. You need to adjust the amounts to compensate if your setup does not achieve 95%.

Why 20g of US-05 yeast instead of the 36g I recommend? What size batch where you making?

How old was the yeast? Did you hydrate it first?

When you say "manually aerate" what exactly does that mean?

Kal

I adjusted to 70% efficiency (with BeerSmith) ... With 70% I got pretty close OG in all recipes i did so far...

My batch is 6.6 gal only... I did not hydrate ... And I dont remember the yeast age... Bought same day that I brewed the beer....

I splashed the wort on the fermenter, closed it and agitated that for 5 minutes...

Paul
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20g of yeast into 6.6 gallons may be a bit low at the original target gravity of 1.069 if you don't hydrate, but barely. You're at 1.058 so I wouldn't worry about the amount pitched. It's likely fine.

I don't know how you aerated exactly (stirred with spoon? Poured back and forth between buckets? Something else?) but maybe you didn't aerate enough? Really hard to say. I've always found it hard to aerate by hand.

Could have been really old yeast too. You may have purchased the yeast at the same time but that doesn't tell us the manufacturing/expiry date. I've seen stuff 2 years past expiry on retailer shelves.

It's most likely a combination of things. Maybe you didn't mash at the temp you thought you mashed at? Maybe your thermometer is broken or mash temp was not consistent if you did not have a system that recirculates, or you were measuring incorrectly.

FG of 1.023 is way too high so there's something wrong somewhere or there's something you're doing incorrectly and may not realize it. This is not something you can fix by changing the mash temp. The problem is that you don't know where the issue is or what you may have done wrong so it's hard for someone else pinpoint.

Kal

nvrstck

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulJame wrote:
Hello...
OG 1.058
FG 1.023

I think your most likely culprit is yeast health -your yeast colony didn't grow large enough because they ran out of oxygen from under-aerating. It is very common for high gravity (>1.050) brews to stop fermenting around 1.020 without proper aeration. I've had this problem plenty of times. The solution is to properly aerate your wort when pitching, preferably with oxygen and SS aeration stone AND aerating your wort again 18 hours after pitching. Some additional problems could be underpitching, improper temperature control, nutrients available for yeast (zinc, nitrogen, and simple sugars) but both of those can usually be taken care of by giving your yeast lots of oxygen during their growth phase. The higher the gravity you brew, the more important it becomes to use pure oxygen since mechanical aeration or even aquarium pumps can only do so much. For a beer that has stalled, you can attempt to get it going again by increasing temperature to high end of your yeast's range and adding 3oz corn sugar and water boiled and cooled to give your yeast some simple sugars to get going again. Simply pitching more yeast doesn't always work. Hope that helps.
juic

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Torpedo Reply with quote

I may have missed it and if I did sorry. But his many gallons does this make?
View user's photo album (4 photos)
juic

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha never mind I'm blind.
View user's photo album (4 photos)
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 12 gallon batch of this 4 weeks back. Hit the numbers dead on and pitched a 5 litre starter or wlp001 and aerated with pure 02. Transfered with a closed system and wow this one came out very nice. It's really balanced and clean. Highly recommended. Thanks as always kal
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-organized and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/sierra-nevada-torpedo-extra-ipa

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: