Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Switches for 50a

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexCali

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Switches for 50a Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Recently purchased the 50a for b2b, but really just to heat cleaning water while brewing....anyway thought I would give the DIY panel a shot. Oh boy this will be a project, especially since I am no electrician and learning as I go. Expect many more questions along the way. First thing first, attach the labels and then start installing components and I'm already confused.

Issue: I took off the knob to a few selector switches while playing around with them and now I do not know which is the correct way they go back together. Most that are still in the plastic are orientated the same way but there are a couple that are the opposite. So which is it? The white knob line would obviously correspond to the off/on label but is that to the NO or NC side on the backside? Most older pics show a green and red half (NO, NC) or if not then its a green and red tab. I did read there is no polarity so does it really matter and most people just choose uniformity?

Also, reviewing pics from the website / ebook and the wiring diagrams only show the 3 way switch (boil off HLT) for the 30a. Could someone point me to the 50a diagram in case I missed it? Once I figure out the switch orientation I can see how to connect each one.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks for your order - it's appreciated!

Any questions at all don't be afraid to reach out. We're here to help. Happy to help through the forum here or directly by email too. You can reach me directly at kal@TheElectricBrewery.com

Now on to your questions:

TexCali wrote:
Issue: I took off the knob to a few selector switches while playing around with them and now I do not know which is the correct way they go back together. Most that are still in the plastic are orientated the same way but there are a couple that are the opposite. So which is it? The white knob line would obviously correspond to the off/on label but is that to the NO or NC side on the backside? Most older pics show a green and red half (NO, NC) or if not then its a green and red tab. I did read there is no polarity so does it really matter and most people just choose uniformity?

Orientation of the NO/NC blocks does not matter, they still function the same.

Be sure that all 2 position switches are turned to their left before you insert them into the blocks, this is the off position. The 3 way switch you want it turned to the middle, but your Back to Back (B2B) panel doesn't have one of these as the elements are controlled independently. The other panels all do have a 3-way switch that lets you choose between heating the BOIL or HLT (or OFF).

TexCali wrote:
Also, reviewing pics from the website / ebook and the wiring diagrams only show the 3 way switch (boil off HLT) for the 30a. Could someone point me to the 50a diagram in case I missed it? Once I figure out the switch orientation I can see how to connect each one.

The eBook is only for the 'standard' 30A panel. Right at the top of the build instructions there as well as online are links to all of the other panel versions. Make sure to follow the instructions for your specific panel.

We also have shortcuts to all of these alternate panel builds under our BUILDING YOUR BREWERY menu here:
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/building-your-brewery

See the section "ALTERNATE CONTROL PANEL BUILDS".

Let us know if you have any additional questions and happy building!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
TexCali

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks.....I guess I skimmed over that alternate build portion, makes a bit more sense now.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other questions please reach out. Cheers!

Kal

TexCali

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now onto the backplate. Just to get an idea that I have the components in the correct place that will still allow movement of the wires and will not interfere with the power receptacles coming in from the bottom, before I start drilling. Also, the BK/HLT relays seem different from the alternative build pictures.....each one is set up with A1 (left side) A2 (right side). Are they just updated components? As I understand it, the load distribution component will split the 6g wire into two separate 10g wires going to each (right) side of the BK/HLT relays, sliver connectors top A2. Only asking about the spacing because seems it will get kind of tight with the heavier wires.

backplate.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.1 KB
 Viewed:  693 Time(s)

backplate.jpeg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your spacing looks ok. Leave more room for the items with thicker wires. The items near the top only have thinner wires.

The "relays" are in fact contactors. Same thing, they behave the same. They're just sealed up so that you can't see the mechanisms.

Good luck!

Kal

TexCali

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished installing components and now ready to start wiring. Just a couple of questions:

1- I noticed in older pics the volt meter seemed it was installed upside down (I even think there is a post commenting on it) whereas in the 50a addendum it is installed the same as the amp meter. Just curious.

2- The LED lights, does it matter the direction of the X1 and X2 or like the switches, either direction is fine?

Thanks

LED.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.45 KB
 Viewed:  650 Time(s)

LED.jpeg

panel.jpeg
 Description:
panel
 Filesize:  167.08 KB
 Viewed:  650 Time(s)

panel.jpeg

Last edited by TexCali on Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexCali wrote:
1- I noticed in older pics the volt meter seemed it was installed upside down (I even think there is a post commenting on it) whereas in the 50a addendum it is installed the same as the amp meter. Just curious.

Correct. On older models the writing on the back was upside down compared to the LED numbers on the front. Some years later the manufacturer changed the backside printing. In either case, always install so that the numbers and the MINLIN name on the front are not upside down. What you see on the back has changed over the years. From the back, the newer meters will look like this:

TexCali wrote:
2- The LED lights, does it matter the direction of the X1 and X2 or like the switches, either direction is fine?

Either direction is fine. When polarity matters in the wiring diagrams the connection points will be labelled. If they're not labelled, it doesn't matter.

Cheers!

Kal

TexCali

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the quick reply, before I could even add my edited pics.....
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! That was pretty fast... Happened to be in front of the laptop... Wink

Happy wiring!

Kal

TexCali

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are these jumper wires at the top of the neutral bus (in the diagram) needed now that they come with the terminal strip jumpers? or even the the single long one on the bottom of the hot bus (which I already did wire)....and should I remove those wires and replace with strip (on the bottom of the hot bus)

hot bus.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.33 KB
 Viewed:  635 Time(s)

hot bus.jpeg

neutral bus.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.69 KB
 Viewed:  635 Time(s)

neutral bus.jpeg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TexCali wrote:
are these jumper wires at the top of the neutral bus (in the diagram) needed now that they come with the terminal strip jumpers?

No. The metal jumper replaces the jumper wires.

TexCali wrote:
or even the the single long one on the bottom of the hot bus (which I already did wire)...

Also not needed for the same reason.

All of the wires that go to the bus need to all be connected together and the metal jumper does that. Without anything attached to the bus there are 8 pairs of screws that are shorted together: Each bottom screw in your picture is connected to the screw above it. That's all. We want them all connected together so we use either jumper wires or the metal jumper bar

You can use a multimeter set to continuity to confirm if you're not sure how it works.

TexCali wrote:
.and should I remove those wires and replace with strip (on the bottom of the hot bus)

There's no need to remove any jumper wires like the longer black wire you used on the bottom of the HOT bus, but they're not required. They are redundant. You also do not need to add extra metal strips to the bottom of the buses as everything is already shorted together because of how each lower screw is already connected to each upper screw.

FYI, since you're new to wiring I'd recommend you read our instructions for our standard 30A control panel build as general wiring concepts, hints, and tips are presented that affect all builds. Do not follow the 30A wiring diagrams however as you are building a different model.

Good luck!

Kal

TexCali

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trucking along with a little more confidence. I just finished soldering and hooking up the XLRs but then I noticed my 2 awg wiring. Up to this point I have used the 22/2 awg for all 22 awg applications....simply pull the red and black out and used them individually where needed, keeping track so I do not get them mixed up. I have pretty much used all of the 22/2. But then I noticed I still have the entire amount (12 feet!!) of the 22 / 4 pairs awg (multi colored). Did I miss something? I do not see any other diagrams requiring more 22 awg.

aside from the final two connections to the BK PID (short two red spades)...otherwise, XLRs to PIDS, Volt and Amp meters to AC/DC and shunt, Volt meter to hot bus and BK contactor, low voltage side of doorbell transformers to the AC/DC, SSRs to BK PID and HLT PID.

image3.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.31 KB
 Viewed:  374 Time(s)

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.45 KB

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.97 KB

image1.jpeg

image0 (4).jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.64 KB

image0 (4).jpeg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! The 4-wire vs 2-wire 22 AWG bundles can be used for different purposes. 4-wire makes sense when you need to pull 3-4 wires to places like the PIDs and the XLR receptacles. 2-wire makes sense when only 2 wire are needed (meters, power supplies, SSRs) so that you don't need two sets of 2-wire . No harm done however using one vs the other however. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: