Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

30A Control Panel (240V only, for int'l use)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
there is 2 hots a ground/neutral and a ground to earth not one hot and one neutral and a ground, the 2 hots need to run through the relay together

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazfletch3 wrote:
why does the neutral feed loop to the relay prior to feeding the neutral bus? We're only switching the active/hot arent we?)

Hi Bazfletch3, just getting my head around this also, and I note your post was from a while back so you've probably moved on, but the neutral goes to the relay before the bus, because it has to go to the relay seperately from the bus anway (the relay handles the big load, the bus carries the light load). I think it's safer to double off to the neutral bus from the relay pole than it is to double off from the inlet pole.
Make sense?

@todhend that's a bit misleading mate, this post is about 240V ONLY implementations, where there is only 3 wires (hot, neutral, ground). No two hots. A hot and a neutral run through the relay.
LR-Electrick

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are adapting their breweries to 240V, I would suggest against using the standard 3 pin fused uk plug for various reasons.

Follow the instructions and instead procure an Industrial Male Plug 240V 32A-6h. They are cheap, splash proof, and provide a tight and snug fit in the corresponding industrial socket.

barney the bear

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I live in Sweden, not a 220-240V-country but more of a 230/400V-3-phase-country!

In a modern home here you will not find a 230V 30A wall outlet. Mostly there are a lot of 10A and a few 16A BUT a 3-phase 16A for the stove in the kitchen and maybe one in the garage or the cellar if you live in a house of your own.

That means the cable to the 3-phase-outlet have 5 leaders, 3 for each phase 230V, one neutral and one ground. If you measure the voltage between a phase and neutral it is 230V BUT between one phase and another it is 400V (!).

This gives you some advantages. An example: A 50A 240V outlet can give you 12000W for an element with one "loop". A 3-phase outlet with 16A on each phase (230V) can give you 11040W (48A) with an element with three "loops". In that case each phase "feeds" its "own loop" (phase and neutral).

But if you put all the phases together so they "feed" all the "loops" together the voltage is 400V and 48A gives you 19200W (!). In this case you do not use the neutral.

I think the ElectricBrewery-equipment need some more changes if you want to use all the possibilities over here.
gurraBbeer

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barney the bear wrote:
Hello

I live in Sweden, not a 220-240V-country but more of a 230/400V-3-phase-country!

In a modern home here you will not find a 230V 30A wall outlet. Mostly there are a lot of 10A and a few 16A BUT a 3-phase 16A for the stove in the kitchen and maybe one in the garage or the cellar if you live in a house of your own.

That means the cable to the 3-phase-outlet have 5 leaders, 3 for each phase 230V, one neutral and one ground. If you measure the voltage between a phase and neutral it is 230V BUT between one phase and another it is 400V (!).

This gives you some advantages. An example: A 50A 240V outlet can give you 12000W for an element with one "loop". A 3-phase outlet with 16A on each phase (230V) can give you 11040W (48A) with an element with three "loops". In that case each phase "feeds" its "own loop" (phase and neutral).

But if you put all the phases together so they "feed" all the "loops" together the voltage is 400V and 48A gives you 19200W (!). In this case you do not use the neutral.

I think the ElectricBrewery-equipment need some more changes if you want to use all the possibilities over here.

Hey Barney the bear!

I live in sweden as well, and not being an expert on electricity I have a few questions... however, luckily for me, it sounds like you are one:) would you mind if I PM you with all my stupid questions? Wink

Cheers!
Patrik
Gurthnar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, one more brewer from continental Europe hoping to brew fully electric by the end of this year Smile

Right now I am doing some research, there is a lot of things to wrap my head around, since I have never been an electric tinkering type myself.

So here comes the first noob question:

In the elements wiring diagram I noticed that the elements power connection are connected to power IN relay (neutral) and to the 50A shunt (hot).

Is there any reason why these are not going to neutral and hot bus respectively? Does it even matter?

I highlighted the connections in the picture and made a new "suggested" one.

elements240V.jpg
 Description:
noob question
 Filesize:  192.45 KB
 Viewed:  45053 Time(s)

elements240V.jpg

Gurthnar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, nevermind, I already found my mistake.

The 7A fuse would not work that way. The wiring would have to be different and I might as well do it your way, it seems less complicated.
jarmor

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm thinking about building the control panel. I live in Norway and as this article discribes we use 240v. I was wondering if anyone in Norway or maybe Germany has changed the receptacles and plugs in order to use the ones we use over here?

Thanks

#Jarle
barney the bear

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Sweden but I have heard that that the greatest part of the distributionsystem for electric power in Norway (IT) is different than the system (TN-) used in nearly all the countries in the rest of Europe, for example Sweden or Germany. But the TN-system is also introduced in Norway. In the IT-system there is no neutral. You ought to contact an Norwegian expert for advice about what system you got and what plugs etc. you need.

http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/TN-nett
ianvd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Element Relays Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

First time user from New Zealand.

Are the 2 x element relays necessary on a 230v single phase/neutral system?

There is no real safety concern as the only hot wire goes through the SSR and Earth+Neutral and one in the same.

Ian
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Element Relays Reply with quote

ianvd wrote:

There is no real safety concern as the only hot wire goes through the SSR and Earth+Neutral and one in the same.

Hi Ian,

The relays are required on a 230V system single HOT system for the same reason they're used on a 240V dual-HOT setup: The physically disconnect the kettle from the HOT line(s). You could argue that only single pole relays are required instead of double pole (given that one of the lines we're switching on this version is at ground/neutral), but I prefer to have both physically disconnected - just in case. A single pole relays are much harder to find too (not much cost savings if any).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
ianvd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Element Relays Reply with quote

kal wrote:
ianvd wrote:

Hi Ian,

The relays are required on a 230V system single HOT system for the same reason they're used on a 240V dual-HOT setup: The physically disconnect the kettle from the HOT line(s). You could argue that only single pole relays are required instead of double pole (given that one of the lines we're switching on this version is at ground/neutral), but I prefer to have both physically disconnected - just in case. A single pole relays are much harder to find too (not much cost savings if any).

Kal

Ok, thanks.
In NZ, three phase (pole) ones are the cheapest.
I'm looking forward to the build.
barney the bear

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Element Relays Reply with quote

ianvd wrote:
kal wrote:
ianvd wrote:

Hi Ian,

Kal

Ok, thanks.

Another reason to use a 2-pole relay is : In many 230V-countries you cannot see which of the two poles (excl. ground) in the outlets that is neutral.
ianvd

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Element Relays Reply with quote

barney the bear wrote:
ianvd wrote:
kal wrote:
ianvd wrote:

Hi Ian,

Kal

Ok, thanks.

Another reason to use a 2-pole relay is : In many 230V-countries you cannot see which of the two poles (excl. ground) in the outlets that is neutral.

Here, the neutral line is grounded/earthed at your cabinet/transformer (industrial) or at the step-down transformer on the road (household).

If check with a multi meter to earth, you can see which is N vs A.

I can see that that mechanical relay offers added protection to the user if the controller/solid state relay fails and you don't physically unplug the kettle.

Edit: also means all heater current doesn't have to go through toggle switch.

Ian

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Element Relays Reply with quote

ianvd wrote:
barney the bear wrote:
ianvd wrote:
kal wrote:
ianvd wrote:

Hi Ian,

Kal

Ok, thanks.

Here, the neutral line is grounded/earthed at your cabinet/transformer (industrial) or at the step-down transformer on the road (household).

Yes, I know that - it is the same here. But if you can turn the plug 180 degrees and still put it in the outlet you are not helped by knowing what´s in the outlet. That´s the case with the common "Schuko"-type outlet and plug used here and all over Europe.
ianvd

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Element Relays Reply with quote

barney the bear wrote:
ianvd wrote:
barney the bear wrote:
ianvd wrote:
kal wrote:
ianvd wrote:

Hi Ian,

Kal

Ok, thanks.

Yes, I know that - it is the same here. But if you can turn the plug 180 degrees and still put it in the outlet you are not helped by knowing what´s in the outlet. That´s the case with the common "Schuko"-type outlet and plug used here and all over Europe.

OK, got it!!!!!!
These plugs are not used in NZ and Australia.
We've got these funny ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS/NZS_3112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my own build I am going to use plugs and sockets following the international standard IEC-60320. They are named C1, C2, etc..

The ones called C13 and C14 are many familiar with. These are the ones you have for the power supply on PC:s.

Maximum for the box is 16A. Just now only 1-phase 230V is available in the house where I live. The "biggest" outlet I have is a 25A in the kitchen. I have built an adapter so I can use that. In a few years they will change to 3-phase 230/400V and then I will adapt my equipment to that situation.
ianvd

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barney the bear wrote:
In a few years they will change to 3-phase 230/400V and then I will adapt my equipment to that situation.

Thumbs Up

I like this idea. I rewired my entire house when I renovated it. Have 100amps available single phase (for the entire house)
Or I could do it at work with a 2500amp 3-phase!

I'm going to stick with all my work components for the build:
- 32amp 3 pin blue plugs/sockets
- Amphenol twist-type thermocouple plugs for temp sensor
- Novus PID controllers

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for quick reply Smile So if building a 50A / 240V panel, should the NEMA L6-15 (250VAC/15A) for the pumps need to be upgraded. I assume not ?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tae wrote:
Thank you for quick reply Smile So if building a 50A / 240V panel, should the NEMA L6-15 (250VAC/15A) for the pumps need to be upgraded. I assume not ?

If using 240V pumps that draw less than 15A (like most), then NEMA L6-15 (250VAC/15A) receptacles and plugs will be fine.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: