Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Wiring up a 2-pole RCCB

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcw126

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Wiring up a 2-pole RCCB Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all,

I'm approaching the finish line for my Electric Brewery build and need to get power to my control cabinet. Like most, I'm unable to find the nice Xerox power cable with GFCI and instead of putting a GFCI breaker in my house panel, I would like to put an RCCB inside my control cabinet. I'm not concerned with the North American standard so I'm comfortable with the 30mA detection of these RCCB's that are widely used in Europe.

My question is, they show L & N in/out on the face of the RCCB. Do these detect leakage between phases? If so, then do I wire my two 120V hots through the L & N? I've pasted the one I'm looking at on Ebay.

Any help is appreciated,

Tom

[http://www.ebay.com/itm/270759779128?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_875wt_335][/url]

$(KGrHqEOKpYE25EQko4kBN6Pk3u8Eg~~_12.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.85 KB
 Viewed:  11035 Time(s)

$(KGrHqEOKpYE25EQko4kBN6Pk3u8Eg~~_12.JPG

Last edited by tcw126 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
VaWineSnob

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just guessing, but I think the N stands for Neutral and the L stands for Line. The line voltage in Europe is 220, so they do not need two 120 volt legs, thus they do need a neutral. I don't think this device will work with two hot legs.

As I said, I'm just guessing.
tcw126

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VaWineSnob,

I would have to agree with you regarding the 2-pole RCCB I described. Wikipedia says "RCDs may comprise two poles for use on single phase supplies (two current paths), three poles for use on three phase supplies (three current paths) or four poles for use on three phase & neutral supplies (four current paths)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device[url]

Where i get confused is the 3-phase without the neutral. If that's possible, I would assume 2-phase without the neutral was possible, but I can't find an RCD that has this so I just assumed you would wire two hots instead of one hot and one neutral.

Going with your suggestion, I would need (2) 2-pole RCD's, one for each leg, right? I would probably go with two of these thin RCBO's stacked next to each other and then run the neutrals to the neutral block and then have a regular 30amp breaker in my house panel. I wanted to have the RCD in my control panel in the event I ever relocated in the future.

Another question, since the brewery is pulling roughly 23amps total through both legs. Do I go with (2) 16amp RCBO's?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBOS-6-10-16-20-32-amp-RCBO-Merlin-Gerin-Replacement-BNIB-/260949493879?pt=UK_BOI_CircuitBreakers_RL&var=&hash=item8267b6f889#ht_1233wt_998[/url][/url]

$(KGrHqNHJCsE7BcvhhCgBO1-tZ8QVg~~60_12.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.52 KB
 Viewed:  11024 Time(s)

$(KGrHqNHJCsE7BcvhhCgBO1-tZ8QVg~~60_12.JPG

VaWineSnob

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know. I would assume that you cannot use two single pole RCDs for the same reason you can't use two single pole GFCI breakers.

I don't thing 2-phase exisists. Pole, leg and phase are not synonymous.

I would just go with the Home Depot spa panel, it has a GFCI breaker.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaWineSnob wrote:
I honestly don't know. I would assume that you cannot use two single pole RCDs for the same reason you can't use two single pole GFCI breakers.

I don't thing 2-phase exisists. Pole, leg and phase are not synonymous.

I would just go with the Home Depot spa panel, it has a GFCI breaker.

+1 to all 3 comments.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: