Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop Stopper 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
did a west coast ipa on sunday, 10.5 oz of hops in the kettle. performed flawlessly.
ihomebrewsolutions

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJewell wrote:
Anybody running the 2.0XL with an 1/8th hp pump?

That is a pretty large pump. You will need to monitor your flow rate and make sure you aren't pulling wort through the screen too quickly. High flow rates can pull negative pressure inside the screen cavity and cause the screen to collapse. i normally recommend about 1 GPM or less. Since you are using the larger screen, you might be able to go a little quicker but you will need to keep and eye on it.

NcBrew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Modified Diptube Reply with quote

Has anyone modified their dip tube from a SS Brewtech kettle to make it work with the hop stopper? If so could you post a picture of it. Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Modified Diptube Reply with quote

NcBrew wrote:
Has anyone modified their dip tube from a SS Brewtech kettle to make it work with the hop stopper? If so could you post a picture of it. Thanks

Hi! I don't have any pictures myself but it's straight forward. Here's the SS Brewtech dip tube before:

That trub dam has to be removed and then smooth (file/sand) the surface of the tube to fit into the sealing grommet on the Hop Stopper, and then notch the end of the tube at 45 degrees to assure wort flow at all times. (There are picture of this notching in the user manual: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/images/Hop%20Stopper%202.0%20Users%20Guide.pdf

Once completed the dip tube will look exactly like a regular Hop Stopper dip tube like so:

The modifications are not difficult, but do require a bit of care. If you prefer you may send us your dip tube and we will modify it at no cost. We will then return it with the Hop Stopper for your kettle. Contact us if interested at IHomeBrewSolutions@TheElectricBrewery.com. If you choose to modify the dip tube yourself, then simply order the standard Hop Stopper 2.0 screen only.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
NcBrew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Modified Diptube Reply with quote

kal wrote:
NcBrew wrote:

Hi! I don't have any pictures myself but it's straight forward. Here's the SS Brewtech dip tube before:

That trub dam has to be removed and then smooth (file/sand) the surface of the tube to fit into the sealing grommet on the Hop Stopper, and then notch the end of the tube at 45 degrees to assure wort flow at all times. (There are picture of this notching in the user manual: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/images/Hop%20Stopper%202.0%20Users%20Guide.pdf

Once completed the dip tube will look exactly like a regular Hop Stopper dip tube like so:

The modifications are not difficult, but do require a bit of care. If you prefer you may send us your dip tube and we will modify it at no cost. We will then return it with the Hop Stopper for your kettle. Contact us if interested at IHomeBrewSolutions@TheElectricBrewery.com. If you choose to modify the dip tube yourself, then simply order the standard Hop Stopper 2.0 screen only.

Cheers!

Kal

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to putting this into use.
deemo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If instead of a notch my diptube simply is 1/4inch from the bottom of the kettle will it function?

ihomebrewsolutions wrote:
Everything is all stainless steel (except for the grommet which is FDA silicone) and the dip tube is custom made to each individual kettle. If you make your own dip tube, make sure it reaches to the center of the converted keg bottom and comes very close to the bottom surface for maximum draining. Also, the dip tube needs a notch on the tip to assure that wort can always flow into the dip tube. Download the User's Guide on the Hop Stopper order page and check the bottom of Page 2.

Prosit!

Dennis Collins
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - you need a notch to ensure that the screen doesn’t get pressed against the dip tube, which would effectively reduce the filtering area from the massive Hop Stopper surface area down to a tiny ~1/2” circle the size of the dip tube. The notch ensures that fluid flows through the entire Hop Stopper mesh.

Kal

deemo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes a lot of sense.

kal wrote:
No - you need a notch to ensure that the screen doesn’t get pressed against the dip tube, which would effectively reduce the filtering area from the massive Hop Stopper surface area down to a tiny ~1/2” circle the size of the dip tube. The notch ensures that fluid flows through the entire Hop Stopper mesh.

Kal
hondor06

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas how to get leaf hops and small particulate out from inside? Furthermore any ideas why this would happen?
Th
deemo

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hondor06 wrote:
Any ideas how to get leaf hops and small particulate out from inside? Furthermore any ideas why this would happen?
Th

Maybe the silicone grommet isn't the right size for your diptube? Try soaking the screen in PBW then rinsing with a high pressure hose.

D
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hondor06 wrote:
Th

High pressure from a hose, like with your thump over the end. A quick 30 second spray with a hose is all it takes. Then allow the Hop Stopper to air dry. See the second video here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjA1KQ-hCPG/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

It's important to remember that having a few bits and pieces inside isn't going to many any difference. This is the boil kettle. No need to aim to 100% removal of every last little bit. You should be able to get 99% out in 30-60 seconds of spraying.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out our new video that shows you how to modify a SS Brewtech kettle dip tube for use with a Hop Stopper 2.0:

https://youtu.be/7UXIWKqkLv4

Don’t want to make the modification yourself? We’ll do it for free! Complete details on our Hop Stopper 2.0 order page:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hop-stopper

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used this again yesterday, 4.5 oz hops in a porter. hop/break residue was caked/hardened to the hopstopper and the bottom of the kettle after draining. and i don't mean in a bad way, more like 'all the liquid has been sucked out and there is nothing left'!

i've actually reduced batch volumes by a half gallon or so because of how efficient it is at grabbing all the liquid. after kegging the first couple brews, i was all 'wtf, how come i have so much beer left over?'
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're loving the Hop Stopper 2.0!

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had room for it, my element is only 2.25" off the bottom
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozarks Mountain Brew wrote:
I wish I had room for it, my element is only 2.25" off the bottom

What's the kettle diameter? Got any pictures of what's inside the kettle? It will likely fit as the standard sized Hop Stopper is only 9.75" in diameter and 2" high.

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20" and so far I went with a custom hop ring, works to a degree but still leaves wort

WP_20180507_19_44_29_Pro.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.05 KB
 Viewed:  18854 Time(s)

WP_20180507_19_44_29_Pro.jpg

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to try skinning that ring with some fine stainless material
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your kettle is definitely big enough to fit a standard sized (2") high hop stopper under the element that is 2.25" from the bottom.

Kal

Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one before and it kept getting clogged, I guess the issue is I whirlpool for 30 minutes, can't do that with a hop screen
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: