Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

cleaning and false bottom questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeppman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: cleaning and false bottom questions Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey everyone,

I'm about 95% there with my build and have been just experimenting with the new setup, for example, running a batch with just water.

Before your first brew, did you guys do anything special as far as cleaning your system? I was thinking of running oxyclean through everything, but don't know if its necessary. When I do use oxyclean (either before my first batch, or as Kal instructs, after every 10 batches or so), how hot do you get the water? I'm assuming you rinse after? What is your method of removing all the water after a brew, or cleaning.. shop vac? What about under the false bottom? Do you typically leave that in there or tip the MLT to drain the remaining water?

Also, I noticed there is a slight gap around my blichmann false bottom, and the kettle wall. I'm assuming this is normal, and won't give me any trouble?

Thanks guys. I have a lot of questions coming from a "heat water on the stove, mash in an igloo cooler and boil in a turkey fryer" brew day.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: First time cleaning. Not really necessary but it's not a bad idea to recirculate hot water with a scoop of oxiclean through all the plumbing for ~15 mins or so before the first the first brew. It'll get off any cutting/manufacturing oils that were left behind. MAke sure to rinse thoroughly after.

I use hot tap water - as hot as it gets. So probably 120-140F at most. That should be fine.

You need to take the false bottom out to clean it (I use water and a dish brush), and then leave it out to dry.

No problems with the slight horizontal gap between the false bottom and kettle wall. It'll still sit flat on the ledge (or should) which is what you want.

If you look here (hard to see) I have a slight gap too:

If I take out the dip tube I can slide the false bottom around slightly.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
zeppman

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal,

As far as removing the false bottom after every use, I'm concerned with the wear and tear on the dip tube seal caused by constantly turning it to remove the false bottom. Or am I removing it incorrectly? Or am I worrying too much?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're worrying too much. Wink

It's meant to be removed for cleaning after each use. Same with the boil kettle.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: