Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

sanitizing the counter flow chiller

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeppman

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: sanitizing the counter flow chiller Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey everyone,

I didn't see this in the tutorial, but how do you all sanitize the counterflow chiller, the pump, and the hoses leading to and from it? It seems there are two logical choices: Pump boiling wort through it and circulate it back into the boil kettle when you are close to the end of your boil, or pumping star-san or iodophor through all of the items? Just curious to see what everyone is doing.

Thanks.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used a CFC I used my autosiphon to pump starsan through hoses, pump and CFC about 10 min before flameout. When I start the cooling, I ran the output into a bucket to push all the starsan out of the loop. When wort began to flow into the bucket, I closed the valve and moved the output hose to my fermenter and opened the valve.
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I'm done with the boil, I open up the drain valve and let the hoses, pump and CFC fill up with the hot wort (before I turn on the cold tap water) and let it sit for a couple minutes. As long as it is above 170F you'll sanitize everything just fine and with no cooling water flow, the temperature generally doesn't drop below 200F. The final hose, from the outlet of the CFC to the fermenter gets a bath in a bucket of starsan just prior to transfer. After a few minutes, I turn on the cooling water, let it run for a minuet or so to cool down the wort in the CFC, then start the pump and throttle as necessary to maintain the desired temperature. As a side note, during the boil I flush some water through the CFC just to flush out any residual "crap" that might have been left in the CFC so it doesn't find its way into the fermenter.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosenjm wrote:
As soon as I'm done with the boil, I open up the drain valve and let the hoses, pump and CFC fill up with the hot wort (before I turn on the cold tap water) and let it sit for a couple minutes. As long as it is above 170F you'll sanitize everything just fine and with no cooling water flow, the temperature generally doesn't drop below 200F. The final hose, from the outlet of the CFC to the fermenter gets a bath in a bucket of starsan just prior to transfer. After a few minutes, I turn on the cooling water, let it run for a minuet or so to cool down the wort in the CFC, then start the pump and throttle as necessary to maintain the desired temperature. As a side note, during the boil I flush some water through the CFC just to flush out any residual "crap" that might have been left in the CFC so it doesn't find its way into the fermenter.

I do the same thing, Works well.
zeppman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses...

Did you guys build an exact Kal clone, or have extra valves placed somewhere? If you chill in the same method as Kal shows in his "brew day" tutorial, Do you turn on the pump to get the hot wort past the pump and into the chiller?

Also, so you worry about anything happening to your last hop additions, as you wait for the lines to sanitize?
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup is pretty much identical to Kal's. Generally, there is enough head in the BK to push the hot wort through the pump and into the CFC without having to cycle the pump. This shouldn't have any affect on you hop additions. It is an extra 2 minutes over the course of 20-30 minutes it takes to cool the wort to pitching temps. The whole time you are pumping through the CFC, the wort in the BK is hot and only slightly cooling via losses to ambient.
zeppman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosenjm- once you start the flow, how do you stop it from continuing to flow out of the CFC?
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeppman wrote:
rosenjm- once you start the flow, how do you stop it from continuing to flow out of the CFC?

I shut the BK drain valve, and hold the hose at the discharge of the CFC higher than the CFC. Remember, I sanitize the hose in starsan, so the hose doesn't need to be full.
zeppman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the clarification.
atsorrento

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: cfc flow stop Reply with quote

I know I'm 6 years late but here's how I stop cfc flow (see picture)

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.4 KB
 Viewed:  10881 Time(s)

image.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: