Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric IPA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Electric IPA Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-ipa

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:24 pm; edited 56 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beer fermented out pretty quick. Dropped from 1.065 to 1.015 in 5 days at which point dry hops were added (that was 5 days ago). I tasted it today (at 1.013 which is my expected final gravity) and this one's going to be great! I really like this hop combination.

I'm going to leave it for another 3-4 days on the dry hops then rack it to 5 gallon carboys (brite tanks) to clear with some gelatine for a few days and then keg and placed in the serving freezer under CO2 pressure to carb.

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now kegged it.... had a taste (ok, a couple of pints) while kegging and it's exactly where I want it to be. Bitterness at the right level, lots of hop flavour/aroma.

It's in the cold room at 52F right now under gas to carbonate.... waiting for a spot in the 9 keg keezer to free up so that I can put it on tap.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've been drinking this beer now for the last couple of weeks and I think found my new "house" AIPA. Tons of hop flavour/aroma without over the top bitterness.

Of course, everyone will have different favourite hops but the ones I used here worked really well (IMHO).

If anyone brews it let me know what you think.

Kal

g8tors

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good. Did you use pellets for dry hopping?

Scott
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g8tors wrote:
It sounds good. Did you use pellets for dry hopping?

Yup! Whole hops are fine too.

I use pellets 99% of the time over whole hops because they store better (less room) and stay fresh longer. Utilization is slightly higher too (you get slightly more out of them per weight as compared to whole hops).

Kal

oldshop

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first brew with the new system. I ended with a higher og due to an extended boil(1st time running in circles kinda thing:))but everything went really well. I absolutley loved the ease of operation and while I thought the cleanup would be a hassle, it was a cinch! Now, the beer, hands down the best beer I have ever brewed! Even though my ABV is higher(too bad) and I ended with less than 10 gallons(now that is sad) this beer is just downright outstanding. Great job Kal on the recipe and thank you so much for designing the system.
I currently have your SN Torpedo in secondary, can't wait to try it!
Happy times,
Doug
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Doug! Glad to hear that you like it and that the brew day went well.

Kal

yj91lajoie

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I brew it 4 weeks ago and I have to say that this is honestly one of the best Am.IPA I've tasted.
I Dry Hop it 4 days during my sec fermentation (cold crash) and it didn't get too grassy.
Nothing to change, this is a great brew.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're enjoying it! It uses some of my favourite hops that I find work really well together. It's been a while since I've brewed it myself - time to line up another batch I think!

Kal

aCros

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great beer, will definitely brew again
JohnFetick

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,
I kicked off our new system with your Electric IPA. It is still in the primary but I have a few (stupid) questions for you.

Do you have a separate ferm chamber that you use to cold crash?

I will be bottling my first batch. If I am able to cold crash it, will there be any yeast left to carb it up after I add the priming sugar?

I am pumped to sample this awesome recipe!

Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnFetick wrote:

No.

I add gelatine at fermentation temp, wait a few days, rack to a keg, then throw the keg in my conditioning fridge at 32F, and attach the CO2 for it to carb up and mellow/condition a bit over ~2 weeks before putting it on tap. Sometimes kegs will sit for months before going on tap. Fine for many styles, but I try and not have a backlog of hop-forward beers as they don't age well.

Quote:
If I am able to cold crash it, will there be any yeast left to carb it up after I add the priming sugar?

Most likely.

Kal

luke_l

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the most delicious IPA I have ever brewed... I've drank "several" pints over the last few nights, and still grin every time I put my nose in the glass.

I have a Pliny clone fermenting right now, but I will likely do this up again afterwards. I will probably do a split batch with us-05 and Conan since I have some in my fridge now and am excited to try it out.

Perfect IPA recipe. Nice balance, amazing nose and several pints can be drank in a sitting which isn't true for all ipa's
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it Luke! It's a pretty "by the books" IPA grain bill with hops that I find work really well together.

Kal

luke_l

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I like how simple and clean it is, with nice bitterness. Drinking a pint now Smile
idingle

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a blast brewing with this setup, Kal! This is the fifth brew day - today brewing the Electric IPA after doing the Electric Pale Ale, Janet's Brown, a somewhere else sourced stout (delicious too), and the blonde ale. Debated a couple of IPA recipes but after remembering how good the EPA and Brown were, decided to use your recipe.

Thanks for a comprehensive resource from build to glass! Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're enjoying the setup! I shouldn't be complicated to make good repeatable beer - hopefully the setup's helping with that!

Kal

Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to brew the E-ipa. This one is stupid, good! Can't believe how well it's balanced.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
JohnFetick wrote:

No.

I add gelatine at fermentation temp, wait a few days, rack to a keg, then throw the keg in my conditioning fridge at 32F, and attach the CO2 for it to carb up and mellow/condition a bit over ~2 weeks before putting it on tap. Sometimes kegs will sit for months before going on tap. Fine for many styles, but I try and not have a backlog of hop-forward beers as they don't age well.

Quote:
If I am able to cold crash it, will there be any yeast left to carb it up after I add the priming sugar?

Most likely.

Kal

Hi Kal! Just to be clear in the response above you are saying that you rack from the buckets to the carboys, dryhop, and then add the gelatine and then add to a keg and carb?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: