Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Janet's Brown Ale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djp0318

PostLink    Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Could not agree more. Out of the 7 beers I have brewed to date, the Electric IPA and the Janet Brown ale are my top favorites..

Need to get another brown ale on the go this weekend....

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing this tomorrow Cal - made some small adjustments for what I have on hand - calling it Big Nutz Brown Ale!

- JonyMac

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314470#314470
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy! Let us know how the brew day goes / how it turns out. I have some on tap now after a long break - I really do like this beer!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal - quick question - I am on batch 10 today and every single time my mash tun sight glass gets plugged up leading to unreliable readings as I try match rates moving wort to the boil kettle and water into the mash tun from the HLT - any ideas on how to prevent this?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I've never had this happen. Do you have a picture? What's it getting plugged up with? Grain bits? I have sweet wort and grain bits in my sight glass but it's never gotten clogged:

Kal

jonymac

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics - I am in the boil kettle now - yes - gets plugged with grain bits - I was wondering if I could make a small screen to put in the bottom port to prevent this - may try this next time. I clean out the sight glasses each time too...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is strange. I've brewed so many different beers with my Blichmann MLT as have 1000's of other brewers. I've never heard of them getting clogged to the point that the level is no longer reliable. I do get "stuff" in there as per the picture above, but it moves up/down with the level of liquid.

Weird!

Kal

Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonymac wrote:
Kal - quick question - I am on batch 10 today and every single time my mash tun sight glass gets plugged up leading to unreliable readings as I try match rates moving wort to the boil kettle and water into the mash tun from the HLT - any ideas on how to prevent this?

Had this happen to me on the last session. Not sure why it happened but will investigate a little more if it repeats.
I introduced a lite puff of air thru a tube into the top opening which cleared the clog and didn't have any more issues
with the rest of the mash/sparge .

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennessee wrote:
Had this happen to me on the last session. Not sure why it happened but will investigate a little more if it repeats.
I introduced a lite puff of air thru a tube into the top opening which cleared the clog and didn't have any more issues
with the rest of the mash/sparge .

That would work.

The other thing you could do is just pass the brush up/down once. You can do this any time. Takes 10 seconds.

Kal

ParadiseBrew

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brewed this again and used the WLP090 San Diego Super Yest. it ran well starting at 1.072 and finishing to 1.018.. i started the ferment off at 66* for two days to keep a very low ester profile and wanted some residual sweetness with the hop load. This is a perfect spring beer if it lasts that long!

even had a bit left over from kegging..
http://imgur.com/pyqpqzp
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to comment. This was the first 10 gallon batch I made in my system (20gal pots), and it turned out fantastic. Best beer I've ever made...great hop aroma and initial taste followed up with a smooth malt body, but very easy drinking. Don't hesitate to brew this one folks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're enjoying it! I have keg #2 on tap now from a 10 gallon batch and it's almost done... I find this beer is the perfect balance between roastiness/hoppiness. I just don't seem to get sick of it!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Topdollar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a can of Troubled Monk Brewing - Open Road American Brown Ale out of Red Deer Alberta. I swear to god....the closest commercial example I've had to this beer if anyone sees it and wants to give it a taste.before brewing.
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewed a batch of this up on saturday. 24 hours after pitching, discovered this:

i used wyeast 1272, that's one lively yeast! a bit of a mess to clean up but it smelled really good. i haven't done a gravity reading yet but looks like this one will ferment out fairly quickly.
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just loaded this recipe in BeerSmith for my system so I can order the correct amount of grain. As soon as my conical is empty (I have a English Nut Brown in there now for my youngest son's wedding) I am brewing this one next. Really looking forward to brewing this one. Looks like a one of a kind true specialty beer! I really like how you take the time to give all the history and detailed info on your recipes Kal. Then when you take the time to answer everyone's questions that a lot of us also wonder about, it really helps in deciding on whether or not to brew the recipe. There are so many mediocre recipes out there but I have to say so far the ones I have brewed that are on this site are very well formulated and spot on. Very tasty beverages Kal!

Thanks!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcav wrote:
Looks like a one of a kind true specialty beer! I really like how you take the time to give all the history and detailed info on your recipes Kal.

You're welcome! I do it because it's always been a big pet peeve of mine when I'm looking around and researching recipes: I'd find something that seems interesting but there would often be little to context around why things were chosen or why they were done the way they were. (Let alone any indication after the fact if the resultant beer was any good). So I promised myself if I was to ever publish any recipes, they'd only be ones that I really like and consider pretty much perfect. ... and I'd provide some extra details around the style/recipe too. Wink

EDIT: Though now that I look at this write-up, it's pretty sparse! I really didn't include much at all! Wink

Enjoy this one! It's definitely one of my favourites. Every time someone mentions it it always makes me want to brew it again. This beer seems to hit everything I like perfectly: It's hoppy and it's flavourful. Some IPAs I'll get bored with before the keg kicks but not this one. Mike McDole really knows his stuff. He came up with this one at a time when this sort of combination of roasted malts and hops was shunned by most. A true flavour pioneer.

Kal

hbohnet

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to chime in and echo what others have said about recipes on this site. All the ones I have brewed so far have turned out great but Janet's Brown is by my favorite. Emptied my last keg tonight and it just kept getting better with age. This batch was 5 months old and absolutely fabulous. Thanks Kal!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! Time to brew up another batch! Smile

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

EDIT: Though now that I look at this write-up, it's pretty sparse! I really didn't include much at all! Wink

Enjoy this one! It's definitely one of my favourites. Every time someone mentions it it always makes me want to brew it again. This beer seems to hit everything I like perfectly: It's hoppy and it's flavourful. Some IPAs I'll get bored with before the keg kicks but not this one. Mike McDole really knows his stuff. He came up with this one at a time when this sort of combination of roasted malts and hops was shunned by most. A true flavour pioneer.

Kal

I was thanking you for all the recipes that you do write up the history on and give the detailed info, like on the German and Belgian styles, all the different brewery clones, etc. You do write a lot about each beer and the photos are great too. Even this one you gave enough info to get me interested in brewing it. Your too modest! Smile Anyway I (and most of us) appreciate your efforts!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I'm happy to hear you guys are enjoying the extra write-up part of the recipes. This does make me feel better as I find the text/write-up part always takes ten times longer to come up with than the actual recipe. I spend hours on the text and then once all done I just slap in the recipe at the bottom in a few minutes. I sometimes think I'm going down a rabbit hole, adding too much information, but if people enjoy it I'll keep doing it!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: