Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Janet's Brown Ale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It's definitely a great beer. I just finished my 3rd keg of it a couple of days ago...

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, have you ever bottled and moderately aged this beer? As expected for a hoppy beer it loses a lot of flavor but I was surprised just how much this one in particular changed.
perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvakoc - what kind of bottle caps are you using? The "oxygen-absorbing" ones?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Only kegged. Though I have some kegs that are 6-12 months old.

Kal

Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for what it's worth, referring back to my post yesterday where I calculate a post-boil gravity of 1.074, that's still the value I get regardless of the pre-boil volume. Which makes sense when I stop to think about it since the total gravity points from the grain are "conserved" through the post-mash extraction process. This recipe has 940.6 max total gravity points based on the grain and amounts used, so at 95% mash extraction efficiency that's 893.6 points into the BK. If the finished volume is 12 gallons then the gravity should be 1.074.

Working in reverse, if the actual post-boil OG is 1.068 for a 12 gallon volume, then the total gravity points in the BK are 816. That's equivalent to an 86.7% mash extraction efficiency (816/940.6).

So where am I going wrong in my evaluation of this process? My geeky spreadsheet is attached if anyone wants to play with it and/or figure out where I've gone wrong.

NOTE: This is a fantastic beer! I love it, I'm drinking it (at home not now Smile) and I'm making it again this weekend! So once again, I'm not complaining but rather just trying to thoroughly understand.

-Kevin

Mash Efficiency.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Mash Efficiency.xls
 Filesize:  32 KB
 Downloaded:  1126 Time(s)

View user's photo album (6 photos)
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perogi wrote:
mvakoc - what kind of bottle caps are you using? The "oxygen-absorbing" ones?

I usually buy the oxygen caps. It definitely has an oxidized, sherry flavor hint. The bottling process I used for this was the same as others but I noticed aging with this particular beer far more than any other.

I really hate bottling and rarely do it these days.
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Janet's Brown Ale, similar to say Sam Smith's Nut Brown, or is it hoppier than that? It seems like a nut brown isn't hoppy, but this might be. Just wondering about the malt versus hop balance.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
Is Janet's Brown Ale, similar to say Sam Smith's Nut Brown, or is it hoppier than that? It seems like a nut brown isn't hoppy, but this might be. Just wondering about the malt versus hop balance.

I found that beer here:

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/nutbrownale.html

I've never had it but given that it's a UK style beer and only 5% it's probably more like an English Brown Ale than an "Imperial" American Brown Ale like Janet's.

Janet's is a lot strong (more alcohol) and will be a lot hoppier, less malty, less sweet, etc.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I brewed this beer again in the fall of 2013 but but this time I'm serving it using a beer gas blend (70% nitro / 30% CO2) instead of straight CO2, pushed through one of my stout faucets to get a nice creamy head and close to flat beer. Absolutely wonderful. I enjoy it a lot more than on regular C02 so this one's always going to be served this way from now on.

Kal

Geosmashing

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to brew this one next. Can someone help me understand what adding hops during the mash means, exactly? Do I add hops to the mashtun at the same time as I'm mashing-in?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geosmashing wrote:
Can someone help me understand what adding hops during the mash means, exactly? Do I add hops to the mashtun at the same time as I'm mashing-in?

Correct. If using pellets, crush them into as much of a powder as you can, as otherwise they clump up a lot. Stir them in with your grain when you mash in.

You remind me that I need to make this beer again. It's phenomenal.

Kal

Geosmashing

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the reply!
Paulhere

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal - I noticed the AHA recipe has dextrose but I didn't see it in yours. Did you increase the base grain and forego the dextrose?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulhere wrote:
Kal - I noticed the AHA recipe has dextrose but I didn't see it in yours. Did you increase the base grain and forego the dextrose?

Strange. I don't remember ever seeing this recipe with simple sugars added. The version in Brewing Classic Styles doesn't, nor does any of the versions I find googling for it.

Kal

Paulhere

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the recipe I was referring to:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/janets-brown-ale/

It is the "imperial" version and is a little different than the one in BCS. I believe this is the recipe that gets brewed at Russian River.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done that version. If you do brew it let us know how you like it!

Kal

Keating

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Janet's Brown Ale (batch #134) Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Photo (c) homebrewersassociation.org

This is a recipe by well known home brewer Mike McDole (aka 'Tasty' on the forums he frequents).

It's a recipe that got some great publicity when it took gold at the 2004 National Homebrew Competition (NHC) - it was entered under category 23 Specialty Ale.

Some may want to call it an American Brown Ale but is a bit outside the numbers for that style because it has slightly too much hops and alcohol. You could call it an Imperial American Brown Ale I suppose (if that category existed).

Just listened to The Session, with Tasty McDole (regular) and Gordon Strong (Guest, BJCP President) talking about the new 2014 BJCP Guidelines.

The new guidelines have a category 21B, Specialty IPA, which covers White, Black, Belgian and other varieties, as well as allowing, like all categories, strength variations (Session, double, Imperial, etc)

Russian River Janet's Brown is listed as a commercial example under 21B - Sprecialty IPA, under the subheading of "Brown IPA".
Gordon and Tasty agreed that under the new Guidelines, it would be "Category 21B - Specialty IPA - American Brown Session IPA"

Just got to a computer and googled the recipe and came across this post first, so figured I'd post an update.

Paul
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - Thanks for the update! I'll include it in the original post.

Kal

ParadiseBrew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just killed 10 gallons of this. This is an amazing beer to brew no matter what time of the year it is. will defiantly be keeping it on the rotation!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! I haven't brewed it for 2-3 years now so I'm definitely due. Too many beers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: