Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Greenlee is making me want to kill
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spec

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Greenlee is making me want to kill Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I got my 13/16" punch in the mail today from Amazon.

Thanks Amazon

I got all excited, ran downstairs to give it a go on my old test pot and holy crap. I guess they're assuming that you'll be using some sort of hydraulic device (something I don't plan on investing in over the course of this project) to turn it because even with a 1" socket on one end (really, they had to make that 1" now?) and pliers on the other the punch won't go down more than 3-4 rotations without then having to resort to using insane amounts of force to turn it. Even still after 10 minutes I couldn't get the punch down more than half way.

Am I making some sort of stupid rookie mistake here? I can't imagine why this thing would be made intentionally impossible to use by hand. As you can guess I'm not about to go through this same exercise on the side of my actual pots so I'm confused as hell as to what I'm doing wrong.
KES

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I got the greenlee punches. I don't have this problem. Did you drill the recommended size pilot hole per the instruction sheet in the box it came in? They should screw together easily. I held the cutting part (the upper part in your pic) with one hand. Turn the bolt with an adjustable wrench from the outside. Once the cutting edge contacted the inside of the kettle, just kept turning the wrench with one hand and cut through with no real struggle. Can you screw them together by hand? If not, the punch must be defective. Check the threads.
blacks4

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KES wrote:
Hmm... I got the greenlee punches. I don't have this problem. Did you drill the recommended size pilot hole per the instruction sheet in the box it came in? They should screw together easily. I held the cutting part (the upper part in your pic) with one hand. Turn the bolt with an adjustable wrench from the outside. Once the cutting edge contacted the inside of the kettle, just kept turning the wrench with one hand and cut through with no real struggle. Can you screw them together by hand? If not, the punch must be defective. Check the threads.

Agreed. I didn't have any issues using a large combination wrench to cut through a SS kettle or several kegs.
Spec

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KES wrote:

The pilot hole is plenty big, and taking the pot out of the picture the punch does the same thing even by hand. After some more messing about with it I've found that some 3 in 1 oil is helping and each time I get further down the bolt, then unscrew it, than screw it back it it seems to go easier but I still can't put them together by hand. Ugh I may just send it back if I can't get it to play nice tomorrow.

I've had really bad luck buying these punches. The large one I ordered was missing the die altogether and now this one was apparently designed for use by someone with superhuman strength.
KES

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, must be the threads then. Have a brew. Get some rest. Tackle it tomorrow then you cool down. Mug
Spec

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KES wrote:
Yeah, must be the threads then. Have a brew. Get some rest. Tackle it tomorrow then you cool down. Mug

Truly sage advice.

Hopefully it'll work out tomorrow. Getting these holes done is the linchpin in my "make tons of progress" plan for the 3 day weekend.
kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should cut like butter! i'd return it and get a new one to save your sanity.

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using your fingers the cutting die should move freely up and down the bolt, no doubt the threads are messed up. If you know any electricians they use these tools all the time to cut holes in panels, I would ask them is they have the ratchet tool and stud that you can barrow and return the bad set after your done cutting your holes.

Where do you live? If any where near Northwest Indiana or Chicago I have the tools needed to make life a little better for ya. Shipping it would cost way too much, but I'm willing to help anyone local if I can. Castermmt

http://www.all-spec.com/products/1904.html?ctype=2&gclid=CN7phPDV_qoCFcPBKgodHg-M0A
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the previous posters said, it should cut very easily. Cuts through Blichmann kettles and even standard sanke kegs (keggles) easily.

Just to confirm: What pot are you cutting into? Maybe the wall's much much thicker than most pots?

Also try moving the cutting die up and down the bolt not cutting into anything (as mentioned) with your fingers to make sure the threading isn't all messed up or something.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Spec

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:

Where do you live? If any where near Northwest Indiana or Chicago I have the tools needed to make life a little better for ya. Shipping it would cost way too much, but I'm willing to help anyone local if I can. Castermmt

http://www.all-spec.com/products/1904.html?ctype=2&gclid=CN7phPDV_qoCFcPBKgodHg-M0A

I appreciate the offer I'm in Seattle though. :\

Quote:
Just to confirm: What pot are you cutting into? Maybe the wall's much much thicker than most pots?

My test pot which is a cheapy 3.5 gallon stainless pot. It's no thicker than the blickmann wall but wall thickness isn't even coming in to play seeing as how I couldn't get the die halfway down the bolt to begin with.

It must just be horribly messed up threading. I may try to mess with it more after work as it was loosening up some last night but it has a ways to go before I could even begin to say it was moving freely.

Thanks everyone.
coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot screw the pieces together with no pot in the way then your threads have to be stripped, have you taken a good look at the thread and do you see any galling on them.

I did make a mistake on one of my Punches, had the little cup turned the wrong way and had a beast of a time turning the bolt till the bolt itself snapped. Felt like and idiot. Luckily one of the other punches used the same size bolt so I was ok.

Barry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More close up pictures!

The threads look fine however what I'm noticing is that as I get more of the black coating off (by virtue of screwing and un-screwing it) the easier the pieces go together. If you can see in that picture the point where it stops right now is where the threads are all black vs towards the top where the black has worn off. I can't believe that this black coating is the issue but while I'm idling doing things at work I'm going to keep wearing it down. Productive Friday is productive.
KES

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been a Monday morning or Friday afternoon production run.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like to me that the nut has a different qauge thread.. from the closeup pic, it looks like the threads are being rounded off or recut

like everyone else has said, you should be able to screw pieces together easily with just your hands and cutting thru the kettle should require little or no effort

silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
KES

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spec, if I were you? I'd box it back up and send it back for an exchange.
Killion

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! This exact thing happened to me. I ordered the same punch from Amazon and the threads were bad. It would stop in the same position as yours.

I just clamped it and screwed it down with crazy force and it's OK now. But if you aren't impatient like me you should exchange it.
Spec

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killion wrote:
Ha! This exact thing happened to me. I ordered the same punch from Amazon and the threads were bad. It would stop in the same position as yours.

I just clamped it and screwed it down with crazy force and it's OK now. But if you aren't impatient like me you should exchange it.

And therein lies my problem. I'm impatient. When you said that you clamped it down and you're talking about by itself right? You weren't trying to cut through anything? After that you didn't have any issues using it? I'm fine with bruit forcing it if it means when I take it to the pot it'll go through ok.
kellzey

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one and have the same issue. Couldn't get it past the end of the bolt.

I guess I have to send it back..

Karl

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get it to work while cutting the hole on my Blichmann. I held one side with a big channel lock while my wife spun the other with a crescent wrench. Once it was threaded on all the way things were smooth and I could finger tighten the rest of the way. It operates normally now.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the threads are bad I'd work those out with lots of force (two big wrenches) *BEFORE* you use them to make a hole in a kettle. You don't need all that extra weight and stuff on it when you're trying to get the tool to work correctly. Not to mention you don't want something to slip and hit the kettle if you have to use a lot of force.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: