Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Gauging Interest on the 20 Gal HERMS Coil
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Gauging Interest on the 20 Gal HERMS Coil Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
EDIT: ORDER PAGE IS NOW UP. SEE HERE FOR COMPLETE DETAILS: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-herms-coil

Hey Guys-

This has been a long time coming, and I know a lot of people have been waiting for this. We are currently working with a supplier to coil the tubing for the HERMS coil as featured in Kal's Electric Brewery setup. I wanted to start this thread to get your opinions on cost and interest in these coils, so I can anticipate a first order.

Ultimately, the more people that are willing to purchase sooner, the cheaper these will end up being for everyone. We intend to stock these at all times in the 20gal Blichmann size, with possibilities for other diameters later down the road (10 gal, 55 gal, keggles, etc.)

Please respond as soon as you can, as I would like to get the ball rolling this week on these coils (they may take up to 1-5 weeks depending on quantity).

General Info on Coil:

Overall OD : 15.5"
Ends: Bent at a 90 degree angle to exit straight out of kettle wall, lined up perpendicular with each other. Ends of coil will be longer than necessary, to allow the user to cut to the exact length they need for the compression fitting.
Height: 8.5"
Length: 50'
Material: 1/2" SS

Estimated Cost at this point $200-$250 each

Please also say if you would be interested in buying the two compression fittings at the same time as the coil.

Thanks, and I look forward to finally bringing this product to our lineup.

Mike

UPDATED TO SHOW OVERALL HEIGHT OF COIL

Last edited by Spike Innovations on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
KES

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Let's see... a 50 foot 1/2" OD SS coil on Ebay goes for about $83 including shipping. So, your talking about double or triple the price for the re-coiling process. Ouch. I'm a little confused on the 90 degree bends part. Bent like Kal's, or a true 90 just at the very ends? Naturally, closer to $200 or less would make the decision to buy easier. $250, or higher, would tempt me to attempt it first to re-coil it myself. The compression fittings would be a nice option as well. Hope this helps. Smile
kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy one.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with KES, I currently have one that I re-coiled myself, but it ended up shorter than 50' and has a few ugly spots in it. I would consider buying one as a replacement or spare, but only if it were closer to the $200 side. On the other hand if you had posted this while I was in the process of trying to recoil the tubing, I would have given you my first born.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jmark

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with everyone else - make it closer to the better side of $200 and I'd be interested. Any more than that I can attempt it myself even twice and still be way ahead. I would expect for $200, not only could it be coiled, it could also include the compression fittings and still leave a hefty profit margin for y'all.
Spike Innovations

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KES wrote:
Great news! Let's see... a 50 foot 1/2" OD SS coil on Ebay goes for about $83 including shipping. So, your talking about double or triple the price for the re-coiling process. Ouch. I'm a little confused on the 90 degree bends part. Bent like Kal's, or a true 90 just at the very ends? Naturally, closer to $200 or less would make the decision to buy easier. $250, or higher, would tempt me to attempt it first to re-coil it myself. The compression fittings would be a nice option as well. Hope this helps. Smile

The coil will be similar to Kal's in that both the in and out will come across the center of the coil to exit the opposite side wall. They will not be a swooping bend like Kal's however, they should be straight across the center which should make it easier.

I will try to get some drawings that I have up to get you a better idea.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also be interested, but of course, the closer to $200 the better. And compression fittings of course would be nice. I was just about to make my purchase from Mcmaster last night, so I'm happy I held off. Keep us updated!
coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy one to replace the copper coil that I am using cause I totally screwed the SS up, but it would have to fit a converted keg. Maybe that could be in the future.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would be interested if the price is closer to $200.
Porkbutter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the rest of the gang on this one...$200 is about the limit. I'm already working outside of my budget to assemble an electric setup, any extra starts pushing sensibility.

And yes, an option for the compression fittings would be welcome.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was trying to coil the SS you could have got me for $500.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously everyone wants it as cheap as they can get it here, so maybe even bringing up pricing at this time is a bad idea. I know of quite a few people that have dumped over $150 into two coils that they have both messed up. To me, $200 is a steal for something that you do not have to wrestle or struggle with.

I urge anyone that might be turned off by the price, to attempt coiling it themselves. I have tried twice and this is why I have moved to having them professionally manufactured. Tooling costs are fairly high for custom fabrications such as these, and while I would love to buy large quantities to keep the prices as low as possible, I simply do not have the space to store massive quantities of coils.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeediver wrote:
I would buy one to replace the copper coil that I am using cause I totally screwed the SS up, but it would have to fit a converted keg. Maybe that could be in the future.

CoffeeDiver- what is the approximate ID of a converted keg?
What diameter is your current coil at?
At what heights are your in and out holes?

These will all help in getting a better picture on what would be involved on keggle coils.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will measure for you when I get home and post later. What I had done was buy http://morebeer.com/view_product/19521/102204/Wort_Chiller_-_SuperChiller_for_10_gallon_batches_50ft_of_1_2_in._With_Brass_Fittings wort chiller from morebeer.com and then cut it to what I needed. It says it is about 10 inch in diameter which is needed because the cut out top in narrower than the sides.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! If I were to build the HLT again, $200 would be money well spent to have this done properly.

Getting the coil in, avoiding kinks (virtually impossible), and getting the compression fittings to sit and mate with the side of the kettle make this a very unpleasant job.

Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I don't need one but will offer up an idea that someone else had and I copied. I used 2 stainless 1/2 90's to connect my HERMS coil and it mad it a lot easier. It also lets you rotate the coil downward on the opposite side off the fittings and slightly below the element allowing the coil to be submerged in the water a little longer while sparging. I know it seems like a little thing but the whole idea is about controlling our temperatures. The elbows I used with a coupling to help center the coil as well. Just and Idea/option. Hope this helps, Castermmt

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24836&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=20
KES

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, Mike. Would the tubing be permanently coiled to 15.5" ,or would we receive it cabled tied to that radius like Kal had to do?
Spike Innovations

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KES wrote:
Another question, Mike. Would the tubing be permanently coiled to 15.5" ,or would we receive it cabled tied to that radius like Kal had to do?

Permanently bent to that diameter. I'm sure there is some give to them to help with aligning fittings and such, but trying to resize it is probably out of the question.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. That is what I was wishing for. Smile
Spike Innovations

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original post edited to show coil overall height.

The coil will be 8.5" in height, allowing the coil to sit very low in the pot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: