Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

About to throw my control panel out the window
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm pretty sure every thing is wired up correctly, i just traced all the wires, and compared it to the diagram in the write up. I'm not sure about the bottom right post though.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we need a picture of the entire inside of the panel. The lugs you used are the wrong size and don't provide the type of contact you will need, but lets look at the wiring inside your panel first. I want to see all 3 relays and bus bars, then we can go from there. how you're getting 220 volts to the on/off switch is the first thing I'm looking for, so I want to see where the 14 gauge wire are going from the power relay and bus bars. . Castermmt
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure your using this diagram but just in case, here's the link. the bottom right as you can see only gets one red wire and noting else. We will figure this out.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=7
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple detailed overview pics would help. Also, those 10 gauge conncters could be a little tighter. I did not like the fit of those 3/8s. Get smaller, think 8-10 from home depot.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill get you those pictures sometime this week, I have a paper and a midterm i have to work on/study.
And regarding those terminals, I ordered them online (from one of Kal's links), and didn't realize the ring size.
I also have solid core ground wires, so it'd be a pain in the ass to have to re-do that.
I'm honestly considering just doing the wiring all over again.
Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajt012 wrote:
Ill get you those pictures sometime this week, I have a paper and a midterm i have to work on/study.
And regarding those terminals, I ordered them online (from one of Kal's links), and didn't realize the ring size.
I also have solid core ground wires, so it'd be a pain in the ass to have to re-do that.
I'm honestly considering just doing the wiring all over again.

Sounds like you have a full plate, and its sometimes better to just do something else and then come back to it later with a clear head (works for me).

I would do one sub-circuit at a time not the entire system at one time. We may be able to help if we had some better pictures. If your building a Kal clone then its even easier to help you because we all have a idea of how things get installed. Let us know when you need a extra set of eyes and ears, Castermmt
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i went to check the CP after all weekend of not playing with it, just for the hell of it. When i tried to turn it on, i noticed the amp meter was turning on and then the GFI kicked. I had disconnected both meters before and it had fixed this problem before. But somehow the meter reconnected itself or something, cuz it's not even connected to the busses. AND VIOLA! it turns on, i still ahvnt checked the voltage across the turn key switch, or the pump that wasn't working before.

TL;DR
My CP turns on again, still need to do some testing though.
Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your meters are running off the transformer and then through the voltage regulators 110 volt AC down to 5 volt DC. That is what I would look at to see if its causing your problems. Now that you have a volt meter set it for AC and check the voltage coming to and from the transformer, then switch the meter to read DC voltage and test the voltage going to the meters. If you thing its the meters try taking the 110 volt supply connections off of one to see which one is causing the problem. Note others have had similar problems with faulty voltage transformers.

You keep learning something about your system every time you turn it on, That's a good thing, Castermmt
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, I had both my transformers disconnected from receiving any power. Which is why i don't understand how my amp meter was turning on. I'm quite confused!
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

completely disconnected both meters (them working is the least of my worries) and figured out why my water pump wasn't working. Me being the jackass that i am, forgot to strip power wire going to the receptacle. Lo and behold, we have power. I'm going to run a mock brew day on thursday when i get out of class, and hopefully i won't run into any problems.
Thank you everyone for all your help! It's greatly appreciated. Chances are though, i will be back! (hopefully with some cheery news!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: