Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
Home ]   [ Products ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ What's New ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

The Electric Pale Ale - sessionable version (batch #176)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Amber Ale, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Electric Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale, Kolsch, Belgian Wit, Irish Stout, Cream Ale

Working on: Pub Ale, English IPA

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: The Electric Pale Ale - sessionable version (batch #176) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

This is a lower alcohol (4.3% ABV instead of 6.0% ABV) 'sessionable' version of our Electric Pale Ale, perfect for those days when you're looking for all the flavour but don't necessarily want to feel the effects after having a few pints.

What is a session beer? According to Wikipedia, it comes from the term "session drinking":

Quote:
Session drinking is a chiefly British term that refers to drinking a large quantity of beer during a "session" (i.e. a specific period of time) without becoming intoxicated. A session is generally a social occasion. A “session beer”, such as a session bitter, is a beer that has a moderate or relative low alcohol content. In the United States, a recent session beer definition has been proposed by beer writer Lew Bryson. His Session Beer Project blog includes a definition of 4.5% ABV or less for session beer. Followers of this definition include Notch Brewing, a session only beer brand. The Brewer Association has adopted a new category within their Great American Beer Fest competition which states a "session beer" must not exceed 4.1% ABW (5.1% ABV).

To lower the alcohol while keeping most of the flavour, we reduced the amount of 2-Row and Vienna malt but kept the Crystal malt the same.

Lower alcohol beers can become harsh when over-hopped, so the 20 minute hop additions were cut by 50% to lower the IBU. The 10 minute, end of boil, and dry hopping amounts were kept the same in order to maintain the hop flavour and aroma we enjoy in our regular Electric Pale Ale.

To avoid drying out the beer too much, the single infusion mash temperature was raised from 152F to 155F. (Another option would have been to replace a small percentage of 2-Row with some Carapils® or Carafoam®).

Like our regular Electric Pale Ale, this is an all late-addition American Pale Ale (APA) where hops are only added in the last 20 minutes to give it very smooth bitterness with a massive hop flavour. (More information on late hopping on Jamil's site here).

A large portion of the hop goodness comes from the Citra dry hops - they're essential (IMHO).

I first brewed this on August 21, 2014 (batch #176). Brew up a batch and let me know how you like it!

Purchasing through our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

The Electric Pale Ale (sessionable version)

Size: 12.0 gal (post boil @ 68F)
Efficiency: 95%
Attenuation: 82.0%
Calories: 135 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.041
Terminal Gravity: 1.008
Color: 4.9 SRM
Alcohol: 4.3%
Bitterness: 29 IBU

Ingredients:
11.3 lb Domestic 2-Row Malt (77.7%)
2.5 lb Weyermann Vienna Malt (17.2%)
0.75 lb Crystal Malt 40L (5.2%)
0.5 oz Centennial Hops (9.2%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min [4 IBU]
0.5 oz Amarillo Hops (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min [3.6 IBU]
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2 oz Centennial Hops (9.2%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min [11.5 IBU]
2 oz Amarillo Hops (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min [10.2 IBU]
2 oz Centennial Hops (9.2%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
2 oz Amarillo Hops (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
24 g Fermentis Safale US-05 dry yeast
2 oz Citra Hops (11.1%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Notes:
Add 500mg potassium metabisulphite to 20 gallons water to remove chlorine/chloramine (as required).
Water treated with brewing salts to: Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=50, S04=275
(Basically Randy Mosher's ideal Pale Ale numbers with slightly less Sulphate).
1.25 qt/lb mash thickness. Single infusion mash at 155F for 90 mins. Mashout to 168F.
60-90 min fly sparge with ~6 pH water. Collect 13.9 gallons in the boil kettle.
Boil for 60 minutes. Lid on at flameout with 0 minute hops, start chilling immediately.
Cool wort to 66F and aerate well. Ferment at 66-68F until complete.
Add dry hops once fermentation is nearing completion (ie: below 1.015). Dry hop for 7-10 days total.
Rack to brite tank (secondary), crash chill to near freezing (if possible), add 1 tsp of unflavoured gelatin dissolved in a cup of hot distilled water per 5 gallons of beer, and let clear for 2-3 days.
Package as you would normally. I keg and carbonate on the low side (around 2 to 2.2 volumes of C02) to minimize carbonic bite and let the hop/malt flavour come through.

If you prefer to use liquid yeast, either of these is an excellent choice as they are the same clean fermenting Chico strain as US-05:

Wyeast 1056 American Ale
White Labs WLP-001 California Ale

You'll need to use 4 packs/vials or make an appropriate starter. For more information see Chapter 6 of How to Brew and Appendix A of Brewing Classic Styles.

For complete brewing instructions, see our Brew Day: Step by Step guide.

Enjoy!

Purchasing through our affiliate links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

SEE OUR OTHER RECIPES »

Kal

Last edited by kal on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:09 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to try this, hopefully Sunday will be brew day. I'll try it with 1099 instead of 1056.

We just ran out of the London Pride clone from early this Summer and I need another session beer!

The half-New Zealand IPA clone is still going strong!
drcraig

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tasted the first semi-carbed sample today! We're on day 15 since the pitch, so still early. OG was 1.042, FG was 1.012. I did use 1099. I ended the dry hop at 6 days... perhaps a little too early. The color is a gorgeous light gold with nice clarity from the gelatin. Aromas in the glass are bright with the scent of green apples and tropical fruit, with maybe a little dank pine. Mouthfeel is great, very light body and obviously sessionable. It's on the dry side, but not too much. I wouldn't want it any drier than this. The flavor is grapefruity, citrusy, and with a little pine and a hint of sweetness. Bitterness is very subtle, but still present.

I'm tempted to add some hops to a teaball and throw that in the keg, but I worry this beer doesn't have the body to support more hops, plus any grassy/vegetable notes from Citra might become very noticeable.

Overall a very nice light but hoppy beer. I can't wait to see how it matures in a few weeks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Amber Ale, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Electric Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale, Kolsch, Belgian Wit, Irish Stout, Cream Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this one! 15 days after yeast pitch is indeed early but nothing wrong with trying and seeing how things change over time. I find 1 to 1.5 months or so in (after it's fully carb'ed and fully conditioned) it's better.

You're right about the dryness - I wouldn't want it any dryer either. Next time I may try with a little bit of carapils/carafoam to try and give it a bit more body. We'll see!

Let us know what you think after another 3-4 weeks.

Kal

Dan Cook

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

If you're brewing a sessionable pale with the same basic recipe as The Electric Pale Ale (batch #130), and same target volume but with fewer hops and less malt, wouldn't you want to tone down the water treatment too. In particular I am thinking that the sulfate and calcium should come down, either in tandem so as to maintain the same ratio but fewer overall ions, or perhaps just bring down the Sulfate. The latter would give a more 'balanced' beer (i.e. less bitter), which would seem to be the goal of a session ale. Your batch #130 recipe calls for a ratio of 1:5.5 (Cl = 50, sulfate = 275). I am wondering if having a Sulfate concentration of 150ppm, therefore a ratio more like 1:3, would be better?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

That's really a personal choice. I wouldn't do it myself, but you may certainly try both ways and see which you enjoy more. Many British beers are not overly hoppy but do have a lot higher sulphate levels than any of these beers I've posted recipes for. There's a wide range of what most people would fine acceptable with no clear "right" answer.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: