Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
Home ]   [ Products ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ What's New ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Fuller's London Pride (batch #107)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: New Zealand IPA, Electric Pale Ale, Bell's Two Hearted, American Lager, Kolsch, Weizen, Irish Stout, Janet's Brown

Working on: Light American Lager, Cream Ale, Stone's Enjoy By IPA, Russian Imperial Stout

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Fuller's London Pride (batch #107) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Photo (c) http://www.fullers.co.uk/

Fullerís London Pride is deep amber or bronze in colour, with a thinnish off-white head. It's a smooth and astonishingly complex beer, which has a distinctive malty base complemented by a rich balance of well developed hop flavours from the Target, Challenger and Northdown varieties.

Fullerís London Pride is somewhat lighter than their ESB, but the rich, underlying caramel and toffee sweetness is still there. This is complemented by Fullerís signature orangey notes, provided by their in-house yeast (available to homebrewer as Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale liquid yeast or White Labs WLP-002 English Ale liquid yeast).

London Pride is satisfying and refreshing, and a cut above the average session bitter.

In the UK, draught London Pride is brewed to 4.1% ABV (cask and keg), while in bottles and cans it has a strength of 4.7% ABV, making it an ideal session-strength premium ale. In most of their overseas markets, a keg version at 4.7% ABV is available. We chose to make the 4.1% ABV version here.

5.5 million pints of London Pride are exported each year from the brewery in Chiswick UK:

London Pride has twice been awarded Champion Best Bitter at the CAMRA Great British Beer Festival (1979 and 1995), and achieved the ultimate accolade of Champion Beer of Britain in 1979. It has won a host of awards around the world, including being crowned Supreme Champion at the 2000 International Beer and Cider competition.

If you don't like hoppy/bitter beers, don't let the word 'bitter' throw you off. English bitters are nowhere near as bitter as American styles. In fact, London Pride is all about balance. It's only bitter enough to balance the malt backbone.

Some recipes for this beer will call for flaked maize (corn). Fullers moved away from using that many years ago and now only use British pale malt and crystal malt. If you want do an 'old school' version of this beer, replace approximately 15% of the fermentables with flaked maize.

You may have troubles finding all of the hops needed as some are hard to find. Some hop substitutions will still give you an enjoyable bitter, just try and stick with English hops if possible. You can (for example) make a very nice variant with only East Kent Goldings (EKG) hops as they're much easier to find.

Yeast substitutions should be avoided however. One of the keys to brewing this right is to use Fuller's own yeast (Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale liquid yeast or White Labs WLP-002 English Ale liquid yeast). This yeast does not attenuate very well so we purposely mash at a low temperature (149F). The yeast is also highly flocculant (likes to settle out) so giving the bottom a gentle stir once a day during fermentation can help it from falling out too soon if you find you have attenuation problems.

Serve this beer with fairly low carbonation (the lower the better in my humble opinion, or even better, as a cask ale). If you have the means to serve it through a beer engine with no extra carbonation at all other than residuals left over from fermentation, do it! I think you'll really enjoy the difference. I serve mine on a stout faucet pushed by 30/70 C02/Nitrogen blend to get a nice creamy head and close to flat beer. One cheap and inexpensive way to (sort of) mimic this is to use a syringe. Pour the beer as you would normally and then suck up a syringe full and force it back into the beer, hard. Repeat 2-3 times and you'll knock most of the C02 out of solution leaving a nearly flat beer with a creamy head. Over carbonation destroys a lot of the subtleties of this beer. Don't over carbonate!

I brewed it for the first time on December 29, 2009.

Brew up a batch and let me know how you like it!

Purchasing through our links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

Fuller's London Pride (batch #107)

Size: 12.0 gal (post-boil)
Efficiency: 95%
Attenuation: 74.5%
Calories: 140.39 kcal per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.042 (1.040 - 1.048)
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (1.008 - 1.012)
Color: 11.52 (5.0 - 16.0)
Alcohol: 4.1% (3.8% - 4.6%)
Bitterness: 28.8 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
13.75 lb British Maris Otter Malt (92.6%) (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, NB, OBK)
1.1 lb British Crystal 90L Malt (7.4%) (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, NB, OBK)
1.25 oz Target Hops (UK) (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min [19.5 IBU] (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, NB, OBK)
0.75 oz Challenger Hops (UK) (7.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min [3.93 IBU] (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, NB, OBK)
0.75 oz Northdown Hops (UK) (9.6%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min [5.39 IBU] (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, NB, OBK)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 min (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, NB, OBK)
4 packs Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale liquid yeast (or an appropriate starter*) (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, NB, OBK)
- OR -
4 vials White Labs WLP-002 English Ale liquid yeast (or an appropriate starter*) (Buy at: Amazon, MoreBeer, HighGravity, AiH, NB, OBK)

Notes:
Add 500mg potassium metabisulphite to 20 gallons water to remove chlorine/chloramine (as required).
Water treated with brewing salts to: Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=17, Cl=49, S04=92
(Basically Randy Mosher's ideal Pale Ale numbers with slightly less Sulphate and a Cl:S04 ratio of 1:2 - we're not making a hoppy American beer here so we go a bit easy on accentuating bitterness).
1.25 qt/lb mash thickness. Single infusion mash at 149F for 90 mins. Mashout to 168F.
60-90 min fly sparge with ~6 pH water. Collect 13.9 gallons in boil kettle.
Boil for 60 minutes. Lid on at flameout, start chilling immediately.
Cool wort to 66F and aerate well. Ferment at 66-68F until complete.
This yeast drops brilliantly clear without need of any clarifiers.
See above for recommendations on carbonation/packaging.

*For hints on how to make a starter see Chapter 6 of How to Brew and Appendix A of Brewing Classic Styles.

For complete brewing instructions, see our Brew Day: Step by Step guide.

Enjoy!

Purchasing through our links helps support our site at no extra cost to you. We thank you!

British Prime Minister Mr. Cameron enjoying a pint of Pride in the Hock Cellar tasting room at Fuller's brewery:

Kal

View user's photo album (21 photos)
Doubleplugga

Drinking: My first electric Brewery Beer!!!! Rye IPA

Working on: What the next brew will be

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I can't wait to brew this. London pride is by far one of my favourite beers. I was in London last year and drank plenty of this beer off of the hand pump. There is a lot to be said about hand pumped ale, it is superb! Also did the brewery tour. As I was the only Aussie there and seemed to be the only home brewer asking questions the tour guide invited me to stay behind after the rest of the group had sampled there beers and I pretty much got a free for all in the tasting room! I was pouring my own pride and ESB off the hand pump. Could have stayed there all afternoon.
And yes, that is a flying monkey brewery t shirt I am wearing in the picture. Stopped off at the brewery in Barrie, Ontario on my trip to Canada a couple of years ago.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  449.66 KB
 Viewed:  283 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Forum Administrator

Drinking: New Zealand IPA, Electric Pale Ale, Bell's Two Hearted, American Lager, Kolsch, Weizen, Irish Stout, Janet's Brown

Working on: Light American Lager, Cream Ale, Stone's Enjoy By IPA, Russian Imperial Stout

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! It looks like they only serve beer through beer engines or through stout faucets at the Fuller's tasting room?

Do you remember if they use sparklers on the beer engine nozzles? Hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't appear they do. I would imagine they don't from this comment here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_engine#Sparkler

Quote:
Generally, breweries in Northern England serve their beers with a sparkler attached and breweries in the South without, but this is by no means definitive.

Flying Monkeys makes some interesting beers - and I can actually get it around here since they're in Ontario. They Hoptical Illusion is a popular one with my friends (a bit like my Electric Pale Ale, just maltier).

Kal

Doubleplugga

Drinking: My first electric Brewery Beer!!!! Rye IPA

Working on: What the next brew will be

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal. Yeah mate from memory all their well known ales were served on the hand pump only. They did have a couple of lesser known beers on the hand pump as well, chiswick bitter etc. I can't remember the names of them all. I can't remember the beers that were on the carbonated draught beer taps you see in the background, I didn't taste them and took no notice, I was there for the hand pump beer! And no, I saw no sparklers on the nozzles. Pride and ESB. Are just such fantastic beers off the pump. I also went to the Great British Beer Festival whilst I was in London. There must have been over 150 hand pumped ales there, outstanding.

I loved Flying Monkeys beers whilst I was in Canada. It was very hard to find good craft beers up your way Kal! Hoptical Illusion was one of the better ones I could find at the local LCBO store. Beer was very cheap in Canada compared to where I am from but the craft beer selection was quite limited. I couldn't even find Sierra Nevada in Canada, is there a reason for this Kal?

Scotty

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubleplugga wrote:
It was very hard to find good craft beers up your way Kal!

Yup! It's definitely one of the reasons I decided to make my own and why you see so many clones on my recipes page - many of these beers are simply not available here...

Quote:
Hoptical Illusion was one of the better ones I could find at the local LCBO store. Beer was very cheap in Canada compared to where I am from but the craft beer selection was quite limited. I couldn't even find Sierra Nevada in Canada, is there a reason for this Kal?

There are a ton of fairly large American beers (like SN) that aren't available. To find out the exact reasons you'd have to talk to the breweries as well as the execs at the 2 places you can only buy beer in Ontario: The Beer Store (which is owned by the major breweries AB InBev, Molson Coors, and Sapporo - no conflict of interest there!), and the LCBO. What gets sold is heavily controlled. It should come as no surprise that The Beer Store has no interest in selling beers not involved with those 3 owners.

Recently there's been a big push to 'free our beer' and allow other places to sell such as convenience stores. More info here: http://freeourbeer.ca/

The Beer Store's obviously scared that people want choice so they've even created their own 'informational' website that they've tried to make appear unbiased (there's no mention of The Beer Store). It has nothing but misleading information trying to trick consumers into thinking that allowing other locations to sell beer is a bad idea. See: http://ontariobeerfacts.ca/

They've even come out with controversial commercials like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OLn5QojMH8

Another reason that may cause Sierra Nevada to not sell here is that they supposedly require their distributors to use refrigerated transportation and storage warehouses. This may restrict their market, but you can get some of their beers in British Columbia so who knows.

We used to be able to get Dogfish Head here but they stopped importing into Ontario a few years back when their popularity grew and they chose to limit their export to closer regions.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: