Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Pale Ale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
this is definitely on my list once I *eventually* get my brewery up and going...

my friends categorize beer into "mike beers" and "non-mike beers" based on their hoppy and bitterness. Lets just say my father made me a hop-head Smile.

This I hope to swing them into the "craze"
Although I love hops, I hate the extra bitterness aftertaste that those hop bombs contain, so something that is mellow but hoppy is really appealing to me

Can't wait to try!

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do, just tell me how to make the file and send it to you.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

This beer does have some bitterness to it. The best thing about it is that it smells like its a huge IPA, it just smells amazing! You think it's going to be over powering but it's not. Some bitterness but very smooth and just like how a APA should be.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
I do, just tell me how to make the file and send it to you.

Thanks, but I made my own file using the recipe that was posted then re-sized it using the resizing button. Thanks
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I sized mine for a 10 gallon batch. To me, It was amazing to see how much hops went into this recipe.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, if you have not brewed this beer I highly suggest you do. It is getting better as each day goes by. The aroma is just absolutely amazing, the taste is awesome as well. It's just like how a APA should be..
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the other day i had a pint of this beer and It was so tasty but the next day it seems like over night a lot of the flavor and aroma is gone.

Can someone explain what happened, what the cause is, how to prevent it?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
So the other day i had a pint of this beer and It was so tasty but the next day it seems like over night a lot of the flavor and aroma is gone.

I see posts like this sometimes and some people say that it's normal for hop flavours/aromas to subside over time, bu I don't get it as it doesn't happen to me. I'm not sure what the cause is.

So in more happy news: After 5 months of not brewing (equipment was in storage while we sold our house and moved), I finally got it all set up again yesterday and brewed this recipe! Basement's still completely unfinished so I set up in the garage (not nearly as convenient and nice but hey, it works!). I definitely miss my powerful wash arm and having the water all hooked up for cooling, ready to go. Washing kettles on the "lawn" (and I use that term loosely since we doin't have sod yet) is no fun.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KES

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures of your "new" brewery setup might be entertaining Kal. Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picture the same equipment in a garage (no tiled wall, hood vent/fan, or nice sink). Wink

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burglar wrote:
I'm still learning here - the lack of early hops is why the IBUs are so low for all that's added, right? So this beer shouldn't actually be bitter, but instead have a ton of citrus / pine in both aroma (dry hop) and mid-palate (late addition)? Never seen a recipe like this before, so pardon if my questions are dumb.

Just noticed this question was never answered: The answer is YES to everything you said.

You get more bitterness out of hops the longer you boil them. To get the same bitterness by boiling less time, you need to add more hops.

Example: Boiling 1 oz for 60 minutes gives the same bitterness as 2 oz for 30 minutes. (generally speaking - depending on who you believe)

The difference however is that by not boiling for long, the bitterness is 'smoother'. The two won't taste the same.

See: http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Kal

Last edited by kal on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm brewing this great beer a second time (10 gallon batch) today. After running out of it last week the wife said that I have to brew this ASAP. She said it's her new favorite. I like it as well. I'll get to brew my Altbier this weekend.

A man's gotta do, what a mans gotta do Very Happy Wink
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a good man! Wink

My wife tends to stick to premium lagers, wheat beers/hefeweizens/dunkelweizens, and vienna lagers ... anything not too roasty or hoppy. I can't say I'm upset. It leaves more of the beer I like for me.

Kal

pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:

This issue has been really bothering me for some time so I always kept looking for answers. A little history first: I brewed a 10 gallon batch of this and obviously ended up with (2) 5 gallon kegs. On the first keg this beer was absolutely amazing and then, as stated above, about a week later the beer flavor was gone. It didn't taste like it was infected but it just changed. So, I kicked that first keg then put the 2nd one on, poured a pint and it tasted amazing, the flavor was there. On this 2nd keg, a week later, again all the flavor was gone! So after speaking with a few people i talked to a very experienced home brewer and he was absolutely certain it was bad CO2. What does everyone think of that? Is there even such a thing?

The only other thing i can think of is that i had a leak in both kegs and the beer oxidized?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxidation is supposedly another reason for losing hop flavour/aroma. Not sure how you'd be getting O2 in there however.

I've read that you have any hot or cold side oxidation during your various brewing steps it'll cause you to lose the hop flavour/aroma. So you want to minimize all hot/cold side aeration completely including:

- Don't splash when mashing in.
- Don't splash when sparging to boil kettle.
- Don't splash when racking from primary fermenter or into the keg (filling the keg or corny with C02 first helps).
- and so on...

Kal

pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is hot/cold side aeration? I'm not to sure why no splashing while mashing in and sparging matters since when you boil; it removes most of the oxygen and then you inject the wort with O2 for the yeast before pitching?

I do fill up my kegs with CO2 prior to filling them up. I'll hook up the keg and purge it a few times. I've also been thinking about finding a air nozzle that hooks up to a air compressor but instead hook it up to CO2 and purge carboy i'f i'm going to do a secondary.

Thanks for the tips..
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
What exactly is hot/cold side aeration? I'm not to sure why no splashing while mashing in and sparging matters since when you boil; it removes most of the oxygen and then you inject the wort with O2 for the yeast before pitching?

Read page 71-72 of How to Brew

(I don't feel like typing in the few paragraphs of text...) Wink

Kal

pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great book, i haven't read it all but I learned a lot from it.
BrewQwest

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Electric PA Reply with quote

First off, thank you Kal for all your hard work on the electric brewery e-book. It is a great read and very professionally done.
A question on your tasty looking electric APA. what software do you use for your recipes? I am using Beersmith2 and when I input the recipe, my IBU's only total around 20-28 depending upon if utilizing the Rager or Tinseth methods. Am I missing something?
I know Jamil uses the Rager method and his Evil Twin recipe (late hopped only) is within a few tenths of an IBU from the BeerSmith calculation.
... just wondering if I may have inadvertently dropped the ball somewhere ...

cheers!!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric PA Reply with quote

BrewQwest wrote:
First off, thank you Kal for all your hard work on the electric brewery e-book. It is a great read and very professionally done.

Thanks!

Quote:
A question on your tasty looking electric APA. what software do you use for your recipes? I am using Beersmith2 and when I input the recipe, my IBU's only total around 20-28 depending upon if utilizing the Rager or Tinseth methods. Am I missing something?

I use Beer Tools Pro. No settings changed (not even sure what the standard calculator is that they use). I've never used BeerSmith2 so not sure why your numbers are so low.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: