Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Pale Ale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
jphussey wrote:
My pre-boil gravity seemed really low at 1.0315 (two separate readings adjusted for temp were 1.031 and 1.032)...which if Beersmith isn't lying, is only like a 61.3% mash efficiency. Does that seem right?

Depends on your boil off rate. What was the expected as a pre-boil gravity?
That said, it does seem low.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My expected, I believe, based on your formula in the brewday step-by-step, was to be 1.048...

Does 1.048 seem high as a preboil gravity if the O.G. is supposed to be 1.056? Or does an 8 point increase seem about right?

I use your 1.9 gallon boil off as a planning factor and it seems to be pretty much right on. I have a complete clone except I use 815 pumps instead of 809s.

I recently tested my hydrometer in 60 degree distilled water and it's dead-on.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
Does 1.048 seem high as a preboil gravity if the O.G. is supposed to be 1.056? Or does an 8 point increase seem about right?

It depends entirely on the boil off rate of your system.

Kal

jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed this, but if you split a 10G bath to 2x 5G fermenters, do you just do 1oz of Citra hops in each fermenter?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct!

Kal

craftloyal85

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the beer smith file. I was looking to brew this receipe and was wondering if you can share the file.

Cheers

Castermmt wrote:
pola0502ds wrote:
I do, just tell me how to make the file and send it to you.

Thanks, but I made my own file using the recipe that was posted then re-sized it using the resizing button. Thanks
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wanted to share my results from my first 10G batch of this. This was my 3rd batch on the Kal Clone and my efficiency was slightly lower than estimated. I didn't adjust the recipe at all so my O.G. was about 1.050. I split the batch into two 5G fermenters and used US-05 and WLP008, which is an American East Coast yeast. White Labs describes it as:

Quote:
Our "Brewer Patriot" strain can be used to reproduce many of the American versions of classic beer styles. Similar neutral character of WLP001, but less attenuation, less accentuation of hop bitterness, slightly less flocculation, and a little tartness. Very clean and low esters. Great yeast for golden, blonde, honey, pales and German alt style ales.

I dry hopped both batches with 1oz Citra. This is what it looked like after 2 weeks in primary, 5 days of dry hopping, and 3 days of cold crashing with gelatin. Notice the color difference? WLP008 is on the right.

I noticed the color difference and thought it might have something to do with the lighting, but after a week in the keg, the color difference is as distinct as possible. Check this out!

I guess the 'slightly less flocculation' mentioned above is maybe a bit more than slightly? I used gelatin (split the same measuring cup into both fermenters) on both.

The US-05 finished at around 1.010 and the WLP008 finished at about 1.011 or maybe 1.012. From my experience, it seems like this yeast actually attenuated a bit more than White Labs suggests and has even less flocculation. As far as taste goes, it really is like two completely different beers. The undertones are the same, but the 'less accentuation of hop bitterness' couldn't be more true. It honestly reminds me of what I imagined Kal's NEIPA recipe description tasting like. The hoppy character is there, but the bitterness is just not at all really. I think I get the tartness, too.

I've never done a split batch like this (didn't have the capability), so this was really fun. I'm curious if this east coast strain will clear up over the next week or two. I love how much it displays the character of the yeast. Both beers are really great (I had a few pints of each today to be sure). Kudos to Kal for an awesome recipe and awesome setup.

I'd highly recommend WLP008 for this recipe if you've done it a few times and are looking for something new. I have a second 10G batch fermenting right now with WLP001 and a Kolsch yeast. I don't expect as much of a difference between those two as the East and West coast comparison. Though honestly I wasn't expecting such a difference with those two, either. So we'll see!
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brewed this 4 weeks ago as my first electric brew. i did not have the herms setup at the time and just did a batch sparge as i only had one pump. my boiloff rate was more than expected so i came up short on the 6 galllons. came out a about 6.5 percent abv. today i transfered it to the keg and took a taste and wow its really nice. id say my best brew to date. awsome recipe kal. this ones gonna become the house ale for sure. im really liking the late hop beers as there not bitter but have that over the top hop flavor. thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys are enjoying it! That WLP008 yeast sounds interesting!

Kal

ClaudeChabrol

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I like this recipe a lot and I want try to brew it, I have only a question about dry hopping. Do you think is it possible a bigger amount of hops in dry hopping or the risk is recipe will become too unbalanced?
Sorry for my english, it is not my first language.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClaudeChabrol wrote:
Hi, I like this recipe a lot and I want try to brew it, I have only a question about dry hopping. Do you think is it possible a bigger amount of hops in dry hopping or the risk is recipe will become too unbalanced?
Sorry for my english, it is not my first language.

Welcome to the forum!

You may certainly increase the dry hop amount of you like. I find the amount I use works well, but feel free to experiment. There's really no right or wrong answer. The great thing about brewing yourself is that you can make the beer exactly how you like it. Good luck!

Kal

ClaudeChabrol

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have another question about this recipe. I never add a zero minute addition, and I would like to know if it is better cool down some degree before adding hops or I must put hops at the end of the boil and cooling as soon as possible. I use the grainfather and I usually do a whirlpool for 5 minutes before discharge in the fermenter, but in this case I don't know what it is better.
Thank you.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClaudeChabrol wrote:
Hi, I have another question about this recipe. I never add a zero minute addition, and I would like to know if it is better cool down some degree before adding hops or I must put hops at the end of the boil and cooling as soon as possible. I use the grainfather and I usually do a whirlpool for 5 minutes before discharge in the fermenter, but in this case I don't know what it is better.
Thank you.

Neither is better or worse when making beer, only different. The equipment you use can affect the outcome as can the process. In this recipe, I like to do the following on my equipment/design:

Boil for 60 minutes. Lid on at flameout with 0 minute hops, start chilling immediately.

All of the things you mention can be done. Feel free to try them and see what difference it makes. This is especially true as your equipment is different from what I use.

Cheers!

Kal

blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made another 12 gallon batch of this a few weeks ago using all my new knowledge and equipment. hit my numbers dead on and pitched a decanted 4 litre starter of wlp001 and aerated with pure o2. fermented very aggresive in the ferm chamber requiring the blow off setup. just kegged the first carboy the other night and wow its very nice. i thought mt first batch was great but ive learned i was under pitching and under aerating which was giving all my beers a similar off flavor. this brew really tastes proper. very smooth and smells really hoppy with a great hop flavor
Fal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewed this to have ready for the July 4th weekend. It's already gone. My neighbor has given me the money to make another 10 gallons. I'd say it's a hit considering every person liked it, even non-beer drinkers. I'm not a huge IPA fan and the late addition of the hops really made it smooth and drinkable for me. This may be a required "always on tap" beer.
adyteo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brewed a 12 gal batch for the first time today and I am looking forward to drink it for Xmas. My post-boil gravity was slightly off at 1.058 (adjusted to 60 degrees), but I guess that is a good thing right? I have used O2 to oxygenate it after moving it to the unitank, pitched it with a US-05 starter that I made a few days back, and now I am waiting for the fermentation to kick in.

IMG_3212.jpg
 Description:
Holding steady at 66!
 Filesize:  81.21 KB
 Viewed:  61622 Time(s)

IMG_3212.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg
 Description:
45 min into the mash.
 Filesize:  62.08 KB
 Viewed:  61622 Time(s)

IMG_3205.jpg

blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adyteo wrote:
I just brewed a 12 gal batch for the first time today and I am looking forward to drink it for Xmas. My post-boil gravity was slightly off at 1.058 (adjusted to 60 degrees), but I guess that is a good thing right? I have used O2 to oxygenate it after moving it to the unitank, pitched it with a US-05 starter that I made a few days back, and now I am waiting for the fermentation to kick in.

Better high than low. But keep track of your numbers right off the bat and you'll be dialed in the next few batches. It took me about 3 brews to get sorted but I hit the numbers right on every time now. I also always take a preboil reading just in case and always have dme on hand.
adyteo

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazinlow86 wrote:
Better high than low.

True. That gravity gives me 98% mash efficiency if my math is right, and I am happy with the result. Ill brew the same beer again in 2-3 weeks and I hope to hit the same results.
blazinlow86

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

98 percent is great. I don't think I've ever heard of that high. I only get 80% outta mine but my 20g mlt only cost me about 300 all in so I can't really complain. I also do a very short fly sparge
mike0416

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal,

Going to brew this one next week. Have about a pound of citra and no centennial left. Was wondering if you've ever brewed a batch with citra in place of the centennial.

Thanks,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: