Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
Home ]   [ Products ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ What's New ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

The Electric Pale Ale (batch #130)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I "roused" the hops when I dry hopped my last batch and it was the best beer I've ever made. The dry hop was only 3 days and a total of 3 oz and it was amazing! I'm definitely doing that for my hop forward beers from now on.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: 1st ever - just sampled my first pint... Reply with quote

What an awesome beer. This was my first ever all-grain recipe on my 50A, 20 gallon set up. The finished product is clear, crisp, and full of flavor. I'm hooked.

Joe
Besk one

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making a 5 gallon batch this weekend but I'm splitting the dry hop 1.5oz Citra and 1.5oz Nelson Sauvin.

I think the Nelson will really put the aroma over the top! I have a bunch I need to use up in the freezer so thought I'd give it a try.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Pale Ale (sessionable), Mild, NEIPA, Schwarzbier, Altbier, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: NEIPA, Belgian Saison, Scottish Heavy 70/-

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson Sauvin is a great hop (click the link for a description) - I think you'll like it! I think next time I make this beer (it doesn't seem to stick around too long) I'm going to try some myself as the dry hop.

Kal

View user's photo album (21 photos)
Besk one

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just brewed a Galaxy/Citra/Nelson IPA that was the best beer I've personally ever brewed. Got some of the Nelson left over and figured this would be a great way to use it up. Love the aroma on it!
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.... I'll bite....
What do ya'll mean exactly by "rousing the hops"?
For dry hopping I've always just dumped and sealed 'er up.
I certainly don't want to oxygenate.

Got this brew on the to-do list.. !
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Pale Ale (sessionable), Mild, NEIPA, Schwarzbier, Altbier, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD Endorf wrote:
OK.... I'll bite....
What do ya'll mean exactly by "rousing the hops"?
For dry hopping I've always just dumped and sealed 'er up.
I certainly don't want to oxygenate.

Some people will gently stir or use other methods to rouse the hops from the bottom. I don't myself. Oxygenation is definitely a concern.

Kal

wscottcross

Drinking: Launch IPA, Double Sunshine clone, Maple Coffee breakfast stout

Working on: expanding my beer horizons (and my beltline)

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tilt the carboy about 15-20 degrees and roll it in a small circle 10 or 12 times. This gets everything swirling quite nicely. I would never pull the airlock for this as I'm also paranoid about oxygenation. You could also use some sort of turntable or anything that would allow you to spin the carboy/bucket to get everything moving.

I only dry hop for 3-5 days and this method gets me some awesome hop punch with only 3 oz of dry hops.
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wscottcross wrote:
I just tilt the carboy about 15-20 degrees and roll it in a small circle 10 or 12 times. This gets everything swirling quite nicely. I would never pull the airlock for this as I'm also paranoid about oxygenation. You could also use some sort of turntable or anything that would allow you to spin the carboy/bucket to get everything moving.

I only dry hop for 3-5 days and this method gets me some awesome hop punch with only 3 oz of dry hops.

Sounds like a great idea. I'll try this on the next batch.
I think I'll wait a day after hopping to gas off the carboy, then give it a gentle swirl.
confrarte

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besk one wrote:
I just brewed a Galaxy/Citra/Nelson IPA that was the best beer I've personally ever brewed. Got some of the Nelson left over and figured this would be a great way to use it up. Love the aroma on it!

Just tried Galaxy replacing Amarillo on the 0min addition - run out of amarillo in the last addition.
I'll see how it goes in a couple of weeks Smile

Cheers,
Christian
instagram.com/confrarte
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever tried this recipe with Mosaic hops? I have just brewed a double IPA using only Mosaic and found the taste really excellent.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever use a different strain of yeast for this? Going to do a 10G batch and thinking about doing US-05/WLP001 for one fermenter and another more exotic or flavorful yeast. I remember Austin Homebrew had this Greenbelt Yeast that really had some great citrusy flavors.
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my list, is to experiment with Omega DIPA and WLP095 Burlington for hoppy beers.
If you do try one of these, please report back your results.
Bret

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Electric Pale Ale (batch #130) Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Boil for 60 minutes. Lid on at flameout with 0 minute hops, start chilling immediately.
Cool wort to 66F and aerate well. Ferment at 66-68F until complete.

I've had this on my brewing list for more than a year and I'm finally brewing it Friday... I realize you use a CFC, and you typically chill from boil kettle to fermenter, but since the hops are added at 0 min boil and immediately chilled, I was worried about how much flavor/aroma you manage to extract with that short of a contact time as my setup only takes about 5 minutes to chill 10 gallon batches. Am I reading that correctly? Thanks!

Bret
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bret!

Yes - that is correct. It's a quick steep with a reasonably large amount of hops. I don't want to isomerise to much of those hop oils. You'll be dry hopping later too.

You may certainly steep longer if you like, and even at different temperatures too, to see how you like the results. That's the beauty of brewing: There are endless possibilities and lots of "right" ways to brew.

Good luck with the brew and welcome to the forum!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: