Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Ventilation Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NattyBrew

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Ventilation Question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I just realized as I was working on my vent hood that my opening in my hood is located at the opposite end from Kal's and will be over the HLT instead of the boil kettle. Does anyone think that pulling air from the hood at the opposite end, about 3-4 feet away from the Boil Kettle, will be any less effective?

I only ask because if I were to reverse the order of the kettles by going from left to right, HLT, MLT, BK then I would need to extend the power cords for the March Pumps, as well as create a longer cord for the HLT and maybe even the MLT probe so that it can properly reach the "T" fittings on the kettle outputs.

I would just wait until my kettles are in and the elements are mounted to test, but I was planning on trying to keep the electrical on the side of the kettles towards the inside of the stand like Kal's and would obviously have to choose which side to mount the elements before I could test.

Anyone out their have their ventilation not directly above their BK and and still working just fine?
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't need ventilation over your HLT. I guess it would depend on how powerful your vent fan is, but you really need it over the BK.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also put the kettles in any order you like by putting the boil kettle under the hood and the HLT next to it. I just brewed yesterday and had the cover on my HLT for most of the day while heating water, while never using the cover on the boil kettle. Where yo brew is going to be the real question as to how much steam can your room dissipate with out creating mold and other bad things. While I have a very large garage and will only need to vent the boil kettle, Kal has a very small closed space and had to evacuate all the moisture he could with a larger hood over all three kettles. Extending the wiring would be easier then dealing with moisture problems in your home.

My 2 cents, Castermmt
NattyBrew

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Caster. I actually came to that exact same conclusion myself and will be simply extending the wiring on one probe as well as the cords for both March Pumps. I am planning to use a 14 gauge extension cord as a simple and easy extension for my March Pumps and funny enough Auber Instruments just added RTD probe extension wire that you can buy by the foot.

It will end up costing me a few bucks to tear apart some of the work that I've already done but at this point it's stupid not to do a simple fix and get everything exactly the right way I need it.

Thanks for talking be down from the ledge Caster haha.

Matt
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time when I'm brewing the lid's on my MLT and HLT. No need for the hood to go above them, it would work fine with only a smaller hood over the boil kettle. Sure, when you lift either lid steam escapes but it's minor since you should rarely be lifting the lid.

The main reason for the larger hood the same size as the table and to cover all 3 kettles is asthetics (how it looks). I find it would look funny to have one more or less square hood over the boil kettle and nothing over the the other two. Price difference between a smaller single kettle hood and the larger one wasn't much. Stainless sheets, generally speaking is pretty cheap. Most of the cost of a custom hood is in labour.

I put the boil kettle on the left as I wanted it to beside the sink for easy cleaning and in my small room the sink would only fit in the corner. So from left to right mine goes BK/MLT/HLT while most people would probably want HLT/MLT/BK since that's how the process flows and most of us read from left to right.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too went with the BK/MLT/HLT so the boil kettle was as far away from my control panel as possible. I wanted to minimize the potential of a electrical hazard if I had a bad boil over anywhere near the control panel. My control panel is about 2.5 feet to the right of the HLT, Will be installing a hood in the fall. Castermmt

Brew stand with HLT and Mash tun running using HERMS!.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.36 KB
 Viewed:  13404 Time(s)

Brew stand with HLT and Mash tun running using HERMS!.jpg

pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly would happen if water did get in one of your outlets? If you had a GFCI and not?

May be a stupid question but it has never happened to me with anything and I'm not to smart when it comes to electrical stuff.
Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
What exactly would happen if water did get in one of your outlets? If you had a GFCI and not?

May be a stupid question but it has never happened to me with anything and I'm not to smart when it comes to electrical stuff.

Dude, water is conductive and when it comes in contact with electricity it can kill you or hurt you. I attached a link to a similar question on sticking your finger in an outlet but the water can act as an extension of your finger if both the water and the electrical source make a connection. Castermmt

http://health.howstuffworks.com/medicine/first-aid/finger-in-electrical-outlet.htm

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/circuit-breaker.htm
rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
I too went with the BK/MLT/HLT so the boil kettle was as far away from my control panel as possible.

That's really a pretty set up - nice work!

-Dick
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: