Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Where to use kettles

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pocwolf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Where to use kettles Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am going to start my new electric build soon and have a question about the kettles. I currently have a 15 gallon blichmann and would like to have the flexability to do both 5g and 10g brews. If I design my build just like TEB and get 2 20g to go with my 15g, where should I use the 15g? HLT? MT? or BK? Thanks
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have a false bottom for the 15 gal?
pocwolf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont not have a false bottom yet, I was waiting to see if I should get one for the 15 or if the 20 would be better suited for the MT.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used the system - still building mine, but thinking this through:

If you want to do 10 gallon batches, then the 15g is going to be very tight for the BK, with a risk of boilovers. 10g finished product can be 12-13 gallons pre boil volume.

15g as the MLT might work, but means that you end up buying a false bottom also. If you later choose to swap out the 15g for another 20g, it's more expense since the false bottoms are different sizes.

15g in the HLT will work most of the time. If you need a few extra gallons, such as after doughing in, you could also use the BK to heat up some additional water than you then pump back into the HLT to top it up. This keeps the HLT up to temp. Getting the coil in a 20g kettle has been difficult for several of us, and the smaller diameter of the 15g is only going to make this more difficult!

In your shoes, I'd try to sell the 15g first, and get 3 x 20g from the outset. It will probably be easier to sell before you've added the EB customizations!

Just to throw it out there, there's an alternative - a 2 kettle build with 2 x 20g. I was contemplating this when starting. The BK and the HLT are the same kettle since you rarely use both at once. The only time you need both is when sparging - the runoff has to be collected somewhere. You could use your existing 15g to hold the runoff, then pump this back into the HLT/BK and then boil as normal. Once advantage here is that you have the heat exchanger coil already in the HLT/BK to chill the wort in place. (Or at least reduce the temperature to below 140F to reduce DMS production.)

rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same situation. I have a 20 HLT and MLT and a 15 gallon BK. I have never had any problems doing 10 gallon batches, you just have to be on top of your game during the first 10-15 minutes of the boil. Eventually, I'll upgrade to a 20 gallon BK, but the 15 is working fine for now. I have drained the HLT before, so I would not use the 15 gallon there. The 15 would work as the MLT, but like crush said you'd have to get the 15 gal false bottom.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
coffeediver

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a converted keg from sabco that went unused for about 5 years. I was going to be my bk until I discovered Kal's site. I used the Keg as the HLT and used coiled copper for the HERMs because of the smaller space. I also bought a pre-coiled immersion chiller from morebeer.com and cut the ends and re bent to fit. I was going to buy the same immersion chiller from midwest in stainless but they were out of stock for the foreseeable future. Both chillers had a 11 inch diameter.

My only issue is after I heat up 15 gal of water and then send about 7 over to MLT, I have to top off HLT and reheat so some time is wasted. I may think about heating mash water in boil kettle to several degrees over what I need, let it set while HLT is heating up sparge water, transfer bk water to MLT and dough in when HLT is at temp and start the circulation.

Barry

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosenjm wrote:
I was in the same situation. I have a 20 HLT and MLT and a 15 gallon BK. I have never had any problems doing 10 gallon batches, you just have to be on top of your game during the first 10-15 minutes of the boil. Eventually, I'll upgrade to a 20 gallon BK, but the 15 is working fine for now. I have drained the HLT before, so I would not use the 15 gallon there. The 15 would work as the MLT, but like crush said you'd have to get the 15 gal false bottom.

Same here but I chose 20 gal HLT and BK and went 15 for the MLT. I replaced a 12.5 gal rectangular cooler and manifold with my previous BK, a Morebeer 15 gal BK by adding a false bottom. The biggest difference I see is the false bottom sits about 2.5" off the bottom of the MLT whereas the old manifold sat on the MLT floor. The new MLT holds more liquid but I think the grain capacity is only marginally larger since it sits up off the floor.
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Where to use kettles Reply with quote

pocwolf wrote:
I am going to start my new electric build soon and have a question about the kettles. I currently have a 15 gallon blichmann and would like to have the flexability to do both 5g and 10g brews. If I design my build just like TEB and get 2 20g to go with my 15g, where should I use the 15g? HLT? MT? or BK? Thanks
I use my 15 gallon kettle as my mash tun and it handles it without any problems.
pocwolf

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks! Sounds like the mash tun will get the 15 g.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocwolf wrote:
Great thanks! Sounds like the mash tun will get the 15 g.

That's what I'd do. The only issue is really high gravity beers like 12% barley wines - you may not be able to make a full 10 gallons easily. (Usually not a big deal for most people).

Links to support the site:

20 gallon boilermakers: http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2632&idaffiliate=21
15 gallon false bottom: http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2647&idaffiliate=21

These kettles are shipped to you directly from the manufacturer regardless of where you order from. Your warranty is also directly with the manufacturer. Blichmann prices are also the same everywhere (they seem to enforce a MAP or 'minimum advertised price'). This in the end means that it really doesn't matter where you order from and the links above ships to all 48 US contiguous states for only $9.99 no matter how much you purchase.

Thanks for your support!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pocwolf

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$9.99 shipped for everything is damn good! Thanks Kal
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: