Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating Elements with triclamp

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njayneer1999

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Heating Elements with triclamp Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anyone tried to use HEATING ELEMENT, 5500 WATT 1.5" TC INTEGRATED RIPPLE V2 from Brewers Hardware? I need to be able to disconnect my kettles from the cable to move them to the sink. I know, sucks, but there is no easy way around it. I saw the hardware adapter for Kals elements on Brewers Hardware, but do not know how to attach a ground and safely cover the leads...so, the one above has a locking plug. Seems like an elegant way to get it done. Though it is the 304 stainless vs the 804 stainless in Kals, and it is a little higher watt density. Any thoughts?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, we don't sell elements with cable disconnects at the kettle as they're problematic.

We get emails almost weekly with pictures from people who are sick and tired from having their cables/plugs melting due to the poor contact and are wondering what they can do to stop it. Some of them use less expensive molded rubber plugs/receptacles to connect to the element which just makes it worse. They are problematic, cause poor connections which create more heat which causes parts to melt. Having a cable disconnect at the kettle is also not waterproof like our solution which presents a shock hazard.

We recommend not having disconnects at the kettle for this reason and only use industrial grade nylon plugs/connects like the ones we sell and use on all of our products like heating elements and control panels, and only where required.

If you really need to disconnect at the kettle, I recommend tri-clover (TC) fittings on our element. All our elements are available with optional TC fittings. You can then quickly/easily remove the entire element from the kettle.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
njayneer1999

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i totally understand. Do you have any instructions on how to use the triclamp with your setup? Photos? I can't picture how the enclosure, element and your triclamp work together?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two sizes of tri-clover adapter are available for order with any heating element: 1.5" or 2" TC.

The heating element comes with the TC adapter attached already. A pic (bare element without box/cable):

The TC adapter replaces the locknut in this pic:

To attach to a kettle you attach as you would any TC fitting. Simply slide the element into the port and use a TC clamp and gasket to seal.

If you don't need to remove the heating element, no need for TC.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: