Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Opinions on Fittings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Opinions on Fittings Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hey Guys-

Wanted to get your opinions on some things as I am piecing together some more kits to make building your Electric Brewery even easier.

We are having a tough time sourcing 1/2" SS QD's like the ones that Kal uses from MoreBeer (seems everyone is out of stock on them). What I do have access to however is SS Cam-Lock Fittings.

Since neither Kal or I have used them before, can anyone that has used Cam-Locks please chime in on their ease of use/implementation in a brewing setup. I know they are fairly popular, but wanted to see if there was interest if we were to offer them for sale.

Also, for those that have used them, on the Female disconnect portion of the Cam-Lock, is it easier to have more 'meat' on the fitting by using a separate NPT to 1/2" nipple, or simply a Cam-Lock with a 1/2" nipple permanently attached?

Pictures here:

Thank you!
Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $0.02 (in the US, now worth $0.002):
After looking into this, I am sticking with 1/2" SS QD's, like EK designed.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my camlocks, no leaks, arms don't get hot. Easy to use if you remove the rings and pins. I can use them one handed. The issue with the barb is reduced flow. It is not full 1/2inch. I went with type F and B. I added streeet elbows and ground the threads off. This provided full 1/2inch and a easy to hold fitting. Yes the angle causes some turbuence, but my flow is great and no pump cavitation. I also use 5/8 pickup tubes, so I don't have a choke point there. You do need to replace the rubber oring with the silicon ones. Can't rememeber the size, but bargin fittings includes them free. I have not used the QD, but I have zero regrets with the cams.

So unless people are going to make their entire system 1/2 through out, the bards are probably fine. I wanted to whirlpool so I went the extra step to maximize flow, but since most people use 1/2 soft copper or ss, I doubt it matters all that much. Bobby m over at hbt so a good thread about these, I can try to find it if you want.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is pump cavitation?
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the BobbyM explanation Milldoggy spoke about on the differences.
I'm using the Cam locks based on this video. Castermmt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7VQQ1bxvTw
ajt012

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Mcmaster-Carr has to the quick disconnects that Kal originally used, but they're a bit more expensive. Everywhere else i found them, they were 2-4 dollars each more expensive.
And Austin Homebrew has them for somewhat cheap, but they're sold in pairs.
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_82_89&products_id=11783
bbognerks

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing as milldoggy except I didn't grind the threads off the street elbows. I wouldn't use anything else. Cam-locks are great and cheap compared to the other options.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castermmt wrote:
Here is the link to the BobbyM explanation Milldoggy spoke about on the differences.
I'm using the Cam locks based on this video. Castermmt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7VQQ1bxvTw

My setup's all 1/2" inner diameter (ID) throughout except for approx a 1" distance in the barbed fittings as described in the video.

Is the flow restricted on my setup somehow? Possibly. Is it an issue for me? No. On the setup that I built and for how I use it, having faster flow would give me absolutely no benefit. Your mileage may vary. Everyone uses their setup differently.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Spike Innovations

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info MillDoggy and for the video Caster.

I am going to continue to look for sources of QD's over the cam-lock fittings, but cam-locks are still being considered.

Any and all information you can help me out with, the better I can serve you!

Thanks

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
What is pump cavitation?

Cavitaion is when an impeller or propeller is spinning in an airpocket(this may be way off, my druken definrion), it throwa off the spin and resistance,
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post, thanks android!!!!!
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike, why are you sold on QD's? I have not use qds on beer, just air lines, and I think the cams are just as good if not better. The cam arms are nice because they don't get hot and with a bare hand you can disconnect. There are no leaks, you can boil them(with silicon oring) for sanitazation reasons. What are your reasons for the $QDs?
Spike Innovations

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milldoggy wrote:
Spike, why are you sold on QD's? I have not use qds on beer, just air lines, and I think the cams are just as good if not better. The cam arms are nice because they don't get hot and with a bare hand you can disconnect. There are no leaks, you can boil them(with silicon oring) for sanitazation reasons. What are your reasons for the $QDs?

Personally I like the looks of the QDs better than the cams, but it is possible that we offer both for those that want to choose. Ultimately trying to source either of these is not easy. I have numerous contacts into multiple companies to try to find pieces that match both options.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milldoggy wrote:
pola0502ds wrote:
What is pump cavitation?

Cavitaion is when an impeller or propeller is spinning in an airpocket(this may be way off, my druken definrion), it throwa off the spin and resistance,

It is the rapid formation and collapse of vapor pockets in a flowing liquid in regions of very low pressure, a frequent cause of structural damage to propellers, pumps, etc.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was fasting yesterday, then drank way to many orange hefes, my bad explanation is all I came up with.
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried proflowdynamics? They have a good supply of the cams. Also, I think the cams look awesome. I visit a lot of water plants and I always see the large version there. The 2 inch ones look bad ass
Spike Innovations

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milldoggy wrote:
Have you tried proflowdynamics? They have a good supply of the cams. Also, I think the cams look awesome. I visit a lot of water plants and I always see the large version there. The 2 inch ones look bad ass

I did check them out and will be contacting them. Their prices are impossible to beat from what I've seen at this point (at full retail even).

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the pro flow camlock fittings. I use the type "c" female fittings as I'm not too concerned about high flow rates. (I use 3/8" ss coil for my herms.) Just be aware that the pictures of the fitting on their site don't exactly match up to what the 1/2" fitting look like in reality. The "c" type 1/2" fittings have a greatly reduced internal diameter. If you were concerned with reduction of flow rate you might be better off using the "b" or "d" fittings along with 1/2" barb fitting to connect to your hoses (this would raise the price by approx $5 per fitting) Also, the pro flow fittings come stock with some type of black rubber gasket of questionable orgins. I replaced mine with one of the bazillion extra gaskets I had already ordered from macmaster an had left over. The 13/16" id dia silicon gaskets come in a bag of 50. I think, we only use less than 10 on the kettles... one easily drops right into the fitting once you pull out the black rubber gasket out.
Sparky

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milldoggy wrote:
The cam arms are nice because they don't get hot and with a bare hand you can disconnect.

Well, this is interesting. What about the Kal QD? Do you need gloves/mitts to do QD's, are they too hot?
For me, this could be the deciding factor.
KES

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to go with camlocks. Available and cheaper. Got mine at Bargainfittings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: