Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Counterflow chiller

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Counterflow chiller Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Built a counterflow chiller this past weekend. 21 feet long with 3/8's copper tubing inside 1/2" ID hose. Coiled it around a paint can, about 7 revolutions. Just ran a test of 5 gal of boiling water. Chill water from tap at 46 degrees. Wort flow by gravity. Opened up the kettle 100% . The boiling wort came out at first at 52 degrees, adjusted the flow of the chilling water to have cooled "wort" at 72 degrees. Took 8 minutes to run the 5 gallons through. Total cost about $45. Very happy!

Silver spoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Grandequeso

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous of ya'll with your 40 sum odd degree faucet temp. The water comes out of my faucet around 74+ deg. The coldest I could get my wort last time I tried was 85 deg, and that was running the wort really slow. This weekend I'm going to try and use my boil kettle's herms coil as a pre chiller. Not sure If I'll run both pumps or just fill it with ice water and pump my wort thru the herms coil before I send it to the counterflow chiller.
konrad

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 Mintues??

I went to HD today and they don't stock 1/2>1/4 couplings. I'll need to hit up Lowes next week.

How did you plumb the output going from the chiller to carboy? Did you use a quick connect there or permanently attached hose?
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of it completed?
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: clamps Reply with quote

konrad wrote:
8 Mintues??

I went to HD today and they don't stock 1/2>1/4 couplings. I'll need to hit up Lowes next week.

How did you plumb the output going from the chiller to carboy? Did you use a quick connect there or permanently attached hose?

permanent with clamps.. its only 2 feet long. my system is gravity fed.

Silverspoons
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Yet Snow Reply with quote

Grandequeso wrote:
I'm jealous of ya'll with your 40 sum odd degree faucet temp. The water comes out of my faucet around 74+ deg. The coldest I could get my wort last time I tried was 85 deg, and that was running the wort really slow. This weekend I'm going to try and use my boil kettle's herms coil as a pre chiller. Not sure If I'll run both pumps or just fill it with ice water and pump my wort thru the herms coil before I send it to the counterflow chiller.

Yes, 42 degrees today, but less than two weeks ago we had 13 inches of snow fall overnight.. snow just melted off my roof.. i guess summer is here

Silverspoons

DSCN0263.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.82 KB
 Viewed:  10354 Time(s)

DSCN0263.JPG

pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, did you use convoluted pipe?
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
Nice work, did you use convoluted pipe?

No, just a coil of 3/8 copper from Lowes, i had the piece of hose sitting in my basement and in reality i put it together as an experiment to see how well a counterflow chiller would work with my gravity fed system before i purchased one. i'm pretty sure i'm just going to stay with this because it works so well.

Silverspoons
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: