Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Cord Grip on heating element weatherproof box

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hennesse

Drinking: On Tap: Quickie ESB

Working on: Primary: Body, Body, Body IPA, 2ary: Paducah Pale Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Cord Grip on heating element weatherproof box Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
When assembling my heating elements, I could not get the cord grips to fully tighten down on the weatherproof boxes. While the NPT threads will prevent any water ingress, the little space between the cord grip's hex nut and the box annoyed me.

The silicone O-rings used on the balls valves came in a package of 50 so I had 46 extra. I tried one, and it fit nicely on the cord grip. It fills up that little space and gives a nice finished look.

Now I only have 44 extra...

Dave
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip! I will be drilling my kettles soon and mounting the element boxes, so handy to know! Did you use the cord grips from mcmaster?
hennesse

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used the McMaster cord grips.

I'd be interested to know if others had the same gap. The waterproof boxes are not what you'd call precision machining, so results may vary.

One warning though, the cord grips are aluminum, and once you lock the threads, it galls the aluminum. After removing the first one, I had to clean up the threads before putting on the o-ring. For the second one, I didn't trial fit - I just put on the o-ring and screwed it in.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hennesse wrote:
Yes, I used the McMaster cord grips.
One warning though, the cord grips are aluminum, and once you lock the threads, it galls the aluminum.

Thanks again. I'm glad I bought 3, just in case I fluff up one.

Burglar

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wrap of teflon tape will lubricate the threads and prevent galling.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered my Hole Punch and my parts from McMaster today! Thanks for the tip with the O-rings and I planned on using teflon tape and liquid teflon just to be anal. Also, What size pilot hole did you use for the 1-1/4 Hole-Punch? Or did you use the Step drill bit? I would really like to save 50 bucks and not buy this Smile

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The directions included with the punch tell you to drill a 1/2" pilot hole. The pilot hole needs to be bigger than the punch's shaft so that the "disc" you are punching out doesn't bind on the shaft and hurt the threads. The disc gets bent during punching, so the pilot hole closes-up.

If you've only got a 3/8" drill, you'll need to use the step bit. You could buy a 1/2 drill bit with a reduced shank, but you're going to need the step drill bit for the 22mm holes in the control panel anyway.

I've got a DeWalt hammer drill with a 1/2" chuck (120v). While I've only used the hammer function on concrete a half-dozen times, it's a great heavy duty drill that has served me well for many years. While my 3/8" cordless gets used most of the time, the hammer drill is great for larger bits or heavier jobs. And just like an electric brewery never runs out of propane in the middle of a brew, a corded drill never runs out of battery in the middle of a job.
Burglar

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I bought a two pack of step bits at Harbor Freight on sale for $15. They were good enough to do my brew pot and entire panel with no issues, even using our cordless drill.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cord Grip on heating element weatherproof box Reply with quote

hennesse wrote:
When assembling my heating elements, I could not get the cord grips to fully tighten down on the weatherproof boxes. While the NPT threads will prevent any water ingress, the little space between the cord grip's hex nut and the box annoyed me.

The silicone O-rings used on the balls valves came in a package of 50 so I had 46 extra. I tried one, and it fit nicely on the cord grip. It fills up that little space and gives a nice finished look.

Now I only have 44 extra...

Dave

I found (2) of the (4) 3/4" NPT openings allowed the cord grips to screw all the way to the hex head by hand. For the other 2, the cord grips were snug with about 1/4 gap and would take a wrench to snug them up. Same with the 2nd box but 3 NPT holes I could hand tighten. I suggest you check them all before deciding how to orient the box on the kettle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: