Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Main Siphon valve location?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Main Siphon valve location? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Getting ready to punch holes in my kettles but need the Main Siphon valve location (distance from bottom of kettle)? Also need the dip tube length. I know the boil kettle dip tube is longer and looks like it goes to the center of the boil kettle but the HLT and Mash Tun look pretty short. I'm getting pretty close to finishing.

Just scored a butcher block table top that's used but free, its 30" wide by 2" thick by 10' 2" long. My brew table going to be a beast.

Thanks, Castermmt
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused.

What kettles are you using? If you're using Blichmann kettles they already come with output valves installed.

If you're not, then valve location is based on what dip tubes you intend on using. What dip tubes do you intend on using? The HopStopper in the boil kettle (if you intend on using that) gets make special for you based on the valve height from the bottom of the kettle.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep cost down and the wife less angry about my build,I'm not using the Blichmann kettles. I'm using 2 Bayou classic 20.5 gallon kettles (boil,HLT) and a 15 gallon stainless kettle (Mash) that didn't come with valves. So I'm getting ready to punch the holes for the valves and just need the height of the valve location. I can pretty much make any tube configuration I need, but want to get them as close to the look of your system as I can. The other valves are pretty simple to figure out. Thanks, Castermmt
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would figure out and make the dip tubes FIRST before you punch holes.

Every kettle will be different based on what you put in it. Figure out what goes in the kettle and where it should be and then make or get all the parts (like the dip tube, mash filter, elements, hopstopper, etc) and then punch the hole(s).

There's one no right or wrong height really. It all depends on the kettle used and what else you have in there, though usually the lower the better.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Aluminum kettles Reply with quote

Great service from these guys.. Restaurant supply for aluminum kettles.

Equippers.com

Silver spoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Castermmt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up punching my holes at 2.5 inches from the bottom of my kettles. My bender will bend 1/2 inch tube with a 1-1/2 inch radius, so I should be able to place my tubes any where I need to after bending. Castermmt
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: