Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Installing SS HERMs coil in HLT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Installing SS HERMs coil in HLT Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have my heating element installed in my HLT and just did a water test for 2 hours to make sure it was leak free, success.

I am now ready to tackle HERMs coil installation. My coil is 7 1/4" high and I have located the hole placement for lower HERMs bulkhead. I think I am going punch that hole, install and test the bulkhead and then dry fit my coil on the bulkhead. I will manipulate the coil to see if I can get the 2 bulkheads to line up in a vertical line. If it doesn't go well at least I'll be able to locate where the upper bulkhead will need to be placed. I am using street elbows to attach the coil to the bulkheads at 90 deg. to the kettle wall.

More to come......
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just cut the end off the coil so the 2 valves end up in a vertical line. Loosing a few inches of length of tubing isn't going to affect its performance any.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosenjm wrote:
Or you could just cut the end off the coil so the 2 valves end up in a vertical line. Loosing a few inches of length of tubing isn't going to affect its performance any.

I have considered that and it too will be an option. Thanks!
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing the coil did not go well. I am having trouble getting it lined up to mate with the compression fitting no matter what I try. It needs about a 7 or 8 degree bend about 3" from the end of the tube but the force needed in that exact location causes a kink, which I have done twice, resulting in another foot or so of tubing lost to the effort.

I got frustrated and gave it for the evening. I am looking again at Kal's pictures. I am not sure at this point rather to continue on with the elbows or attempt a perpendicular connection.........

I work today at my LHBS and I'll ponder the situation some while at the shop.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, I think I've asked this before, but what thickness of steel tubing did you use? I got mine on ebay from nybrewer, which is 0.020". I just find it incredible that so many people have struggled with this, yet it was relatively easy for you. I realize you're a capable guy, but surely someone else must be able to repeat what you've done? Maybe your coil was thicker walled, or you have a few superpowers you've not told us about?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
Kal, I think I've asked this before, but what thickness of steel tubing did you use? I got mine on ebay from nybrewer, which is 0.020". I just find it incredible that so many people have struggled with this, yet it was relatively easy for you. I realize you're a capable guy, but surely someone else must be able to repeat what you've done? Maybe your coil was thicker walled, or you have a few superpowers you've not told us about?

No superpowers I'm afraid. Wink

See here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hot-liquor-tank?page=3

It says:

Quote:
The wall thickness of the tubing is not overly important. Most stainless steel tubing you'll find has a wall thickness between 0.020 to 0.035" which is perfectly adequate for our application. Our coil is on the upper end of this range and we do not have any issues with heat transfer.

Looked up my ebay order, the description for my stainless tubing was:

304 Stainless Steel Coil Tube .1/2" OD x 50' (.035" W)

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the details kal - in the absence of superpowers, I wonder if thickness is the key - your tubing is nearly twice as thick as mine, and what I guess others are using too.

When I kinked my tubing, I cut it off - and it looks incredibly thin. I'm no expert, but from a layman's perspective it doesn't seem surprising that it kinks so easily looking at how thin it is. I'm taking a guess here, but I also would expect that doubling the thickness has a non-linear increase in strength, because of the shape, so your tubing could be 3-4 times stronger.

rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sourced my coil from the same place as crush and also have the 0.020" wall thickness. I haven't tried to bend it yet, but am spending more time planning the technique as I hear more "kinky" stories. At this point, my plan is to either fill the coil with water or granulated sugar and cap the ends off before trying to coil it (I've done that successfully with copper coil to build my current HERMS coil). For the actual bending, I'm going to build a roller bender like MillWerks described in this discussion: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=284387#284387

There has to be some way to bend this thin walled stuff without kinking it (otherwise, they wouldn't sell it). Have others been filling the coil with water or sand or sugar before trying to bend it?

The form that rosenjm used (also discussed in the thread mentioned above) looks very promising, too - did you bend the 0.020" diameter coil with that, rosenjm?

-Dick
View user's photo album (3 photos)
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmessick wrote:
I sourced my coil from the same place as crush and also have the 0.020" wall thickness. I haven't tried to bend it yet, but am spending more time planning the technique as I hear more "kinky" stories. At this point, my plan is to either fill the coil with water or granulated sugar and cap the ends off before trying to coil it (I've done that successfully with copper coil to build my current HERMS coil). For the actual bending, I'm going to build a roller bender like MillWerks described in this discussion: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=284387#284387

There has to be some way to bend this thin walled stuff without kinking it (otherwise, they wouldn't sell it). Have others been filling the coil with water or sand or sugar before trying to bend it?

The form that rosenjm used (also discussed in the thread mentioned above) looks very promising, too - did you bend the 0.020" diameter coil with that, rosenjm?

-Dick

If you reshape the coil slowley per Kal's instructions then the foot method does work well. I used it and that IMHO is the easy part. The hard part, again IMHO, is the actual 2 bends Kal put into the coil to form the S curve to mate to the compression fittings. That manuver is when I experience the kinking problems. I still haven't figured that part out yet.
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmessick wrote:

-Dick

I used the exact same tubing.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosenjm's frame is a great idea. For me, coiling the tube wasn't a problem using Kal's foot and hand technique and plenty of zip ties, but bending the ends so that they were perpendicular to the kettle was really difficult and brought out the kinky side of the tubing. I eventually got a good tight bend by pushing a corny keg into the tube, but if you have the 90 degree elbows, I would recommend that.
Nixbesser

Drinking: the last of the Pumpkin Ale

Working on: N/A Building Electric Brewery

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the SS tubing...Wasted 80 dollars.I went to Lowes and purchased a coil of copper and now life is good. I would have rather used SS as Kal did, his logic is sound regarding the ease of cleaning and durability.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Me too Reply with quote

Nixbesser wrote:
I had the same problem with the SS tubing...Wasted 80 dollars.I went to Lowes and purchased a coil of copper and now life is good. I would have rather used SS as Kal did, his logic is sound regarding the ease of cleaning and durability.

Maybe down the road, Kal and Uncle Spike (Innovations) will offer a pre coiled SS version for sale. After you get you money's worth from the copper coil you could always re-purpose it for other brewing purposes like a pre-chiller, etc. and replace it.
rmessick

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crush wrote:
I eventually got a good tight bend by pushing a corny keg into the tube, but if you have the 90 degree elbows, I would recommend that.

Do you mind explaining the technique you used with the Corny keg, crush?

I was thinking that I could use a hand tubing bender to do the perpendicular bit, but I looked at a manual for the Swagelok hand bender, and it recommends a minimum thickness of 0.035" - I'm not even going to try it on my 0.020" tubing! I like the idea of the perpendicular feed to the in/out valves, as it would seem to not impede the flow rate. I'm not sure how much restriction a 90 degree elbow would impose (and maybe it doesn't matter), but I'd like to try and avoid it, unless the aggravation factor is too high trying to get the bends needs to do the perpendicular thing.

Thanks -

-Dick
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Me too Reply with quote

rcrabb22 wrote:
Nixbesser wrote:

Maybe down the road, Kal and Uncle Spike (Innovations) will offer a pre coiled SS version for sale.

We will - it's in the works. EDIT: Available here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-herms-coil

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
crush

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick,

The 0.020" tube is really delicate - just look at it funny and it kinks.

I used the keg as support for the inner side of the tube (the side that kinks when you try to reduce the diameter of the coil). The keg flexes when forced into the tube, but this is good since it distributes the pressure along a section of the tube rather than at a single point.

I did this sitting on the floor - it requires one or two feet to push the keg while you hold the coil fast with both hands.
So, sitting on the floor, coil in front of you, place the keg in the middle of the coil so the coil goes around the keg. Then position the keg away from you to the "back" of the coil, so keg butts up against the part of the tubing you want to bend. Grab the tubing with both hands, with each hand grasping the tubing several inches from each side of the keg, and using your feet, push the keg into the tubing while pulling the tubing towards you with hands to provide resistance. You can pull with your hands a little more than you are pushing with your feet, but not much. The main change in shape happens because the tube is deformed around the keg with continual pressure moving along the tube as it deforms, rather than bending the tube by pulling two parts together, which puts all the pressure at one point.

You use a fair but measured amount of force, increasing kicking and pulling pressure slowly and equally, and you'll feel the tube bend around the keg a little. Reposition the keg and bend further along the tube. The first one or two tries can take 8-15s to get the right force, but once you get a feel for it you can get the bend down to 3-5s before moving along to the next part. (Not that it's a race, but getting to the right pressure quicker seems to give a cleaner shape, and preserve the roundness of the tubing better.)

The keg does flex when you push it into the coil with your feet, but I didn't see any damage. if the flexing worries you, you might try this on an old keg if you have one. perhaps pressurize the keg a little to provide some support.

Always ensure the tubing is in firm contact with the keg by combined pushing the keg/pulling the tube. The tubing kinks with almost no warning, so it's better to use too little pressure initially than too much, with the greater pressure coming from your feet into the keg, increasing until the tube bends slightly. if you continue to use too little pressure, you may not bend the tube, but just "flatten" the inner side. It's a real balancing act on a knife's edge while riding a unicycle..or keg Very Happy

I hope that's clear, but let me know if you need more details!
Cheers,
crush

drbobdc

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: herms coil Reply with quote

I wondering if ya'll are being to anal about this coil deal, I'm cheap so I am re-purposing my old IC, it is already in a nice little coil with bends ready to connect to bulk heads. The differences are the bulk head connections are both towards the top of the HLT , no problem, and it is 25' 3/8 od, also should not be a problem as flow restriction and volume moved per surface area should more than make this adequate. At the very worse I could ramp the temp in the HLT until equalization occurs. The guy who sells the SS coils has pre-bent IC in SS that would work nicely... course I haven't tried mine yet but will in two weeks when my pumps show up and right before I install it. It works damn good at chilling so no reason to believe it won't work good as a HERMS coil.
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: herms coil Reply with quote

drbobdc wrote:
I wondering if ya'll are being to anal about this coil deal, I'm cheap so I am re-purposing my old IC, it is already in a nice little coil with bends ready to connect to bulk heads. The differences are the bulk head connections are both towards the top of the HLT , no problem, and it is 25' 3/8 od, also should not be a problem as flow restriction and volume moved per surface area should more than make this adequate. At the very worse I could ramp the temp in the HLT until equalization occurs. The guy who sells the SS coils has pre-bent IC in SS that would work nicely... course I haven't tried mine yet but will in two weeks when my pumps show up and right before I install it. It works damn good at chilling so no reason to believe it won't work good as a HERMS coil.

Take a look at this thread.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24654&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
Nixbesser

Drinking: the last of the Pumpkin Ale

Working on: N/A Building Electric Brewery

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosenjm,
The pictures of your SS tubing looked exactly like mine! Needless to say, a few expletives flew that day.
I too needed to get the diameter of the SS tubing to about 11'' as I'm using keggles instead of the Blichmann kettles.
I would love to have Blichmann however I struggle justifying the cost. Maybe next year...

As I'm still building my control panel, I won't know how the copper works until my rig is finished. If it proves to be troublesome, I may consider Kal's pre-made version if the diameter is tight enough.

On to the control panel build...

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixbesser, you'll be fine with copper. Milldoggy and possibly others also used copper, and not heard anything bad from him about it.

If I had to do this again, without getting a ready made coil, I'd either get the thicker SS coil (0.035") or go with copper. As you probably know, copper is good for brewing, and much easier to coil to a tighter diameter. The only reason to go with SS I think is the bling factor, and that it doesn't tarnish.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: