Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop Filtering
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crush

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have some 1/4" OD steel tube, some steel mesh and several feet of leftover steel rope from the thermometer build. I'm thinking about making some kind of bag from that, or maybe a large sieve (like a removable false bottom) that can be lifted out of the kettle. Anyone got any ideas how I can combine these things into a useful hop scree?

Apropos hops being "out in the free". I think there is only a noticeable difference when there is little room between the hops, like when using a 1lb grain bag or a those small hop bags, since the wort between the hops cannot be easily replaced, and the concentration of bittering agents hinders extraction, and also the hops are often touching, reducing the effective surface area. A good rolling boil, freedom for the wort to move through the hops, with space between the hops, and extraction should be fine.

pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll think about it but I would have a concern with your 1/4" tube being only steel. I would like to see it stainless. I'm assuming you would use it to support the bag by laying it across the top of the keg some how. It will still rust even though it won't be submerged in water but the steam will get to it causing it to rust.
busted knuckle

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I start I would like to state this is just an idea and will probably cost double to a hop stopper.

So I was reading a thread at HBT about someone making a small S.S. mesh basket. (Think fryer basket with some #20 mesh all around)
Now to improve on that idea... I thought why not make it the as big as possible and up the mesh to #30. (Blichmann 20gal is 17.7Øx20.9) So make this thing 16.75Ø x 1" above element height. More wort to move hops around, and when pulling the basket out the finer mesh will help collect all hop debris.

Help me think of some disadvantages.

1.) Will hop utilization suffer? (I don't think so)
2.) Cost

Advantages...

1.) No more scooping hops out of the boil kettle creates a quicker clean up.
2.) Allows element to be lower for help with smaller batches.

Maybe I'm just way off here. A lot of smart people have been brewing for a long time. I'm sure there is something I missing.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busted knuckle wrote:
Before I start I would like to state this is just an idea and will probably cost double to a hop stopper.

So I was reading a thread at HBT about someone making a small S.S. mesh basket. (Think fryer basket with some #20 mesh all around)
Now to improve on that idea... I thought why not make it the as big as possible and up the mesh to #30. (Blichmann 20gal is 17.7Øx20.9) So make this thing 16.75Ø x 1" above element height. More wort to move hops around, and when pulling the basket out the finer mesh will help collect all hop debris.

Help me think of some disadvantages.

1.) Will hop utilization suffer? (I don't think so)
2.) Cost

Advantages...

1.) No more scooping hops out of the boil kettle creates a quicker clean up.
2.) Allows element to be lower for help with smaller batches.

Maybe I'm just way off here. A lot of smart people have been brewing for a long time. I'm sure there is something I missing.

Another disadvantage (for some people) is that you have to build it.

You probably still need some sort of screen in the boil kettle to hold back the hot break material. HopStopper works for this too.

While it depends on the kettle sizes and setup, I don't see the advantages you list as advantages: I tip and dump my boil kettle into the sink and my hop pellets go down the grain. With a big mesh basket I'd lift it out and dump it. Same thing. On my 20 gallon pots I can do 5 gallon batches. No issues. If someone has *really* large kettles (30+ gallons) then maybe that's an advantage, but someone who pots that large likely isn't interested in 5 gallon batches.

Personally I like the simplicity and size of the HopStopper. It's small, pops in and out in a Blichmann kettle (no screw to turn or attach). But that's just me!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
busted knuckle

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Another disadvantage (for some people) is that you have to build it.

True. There is a company that makes these custom baskets. But cost is expensive

kal wrote:
You probably still need some sort of screen in the boil kettle to hold back the hot break material. HopStopper works for this too.

Forgot about that. Embarassed Doh Maybe a scrubie under the dip tube as a secondary? But again another cost/something to clean.

I personally plan on using a HopStopper. I'm always trying to improve peoples ideas. Mug

Edit: I knew I was missing something......
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered this today. I'm a couple months out from getting it but it should be in at the same time I am done building my system.

http://www.brewershardware.com/HOP1.html
busted knuckle

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
I just ordered this today. I'm a couple months out from getting it but it should be in at the same time I am done building my system.

http://www.brewershardware.com/HOP1.html

I wonder if you would need a pump with a greater flow rate? Or how many ounces of hops it will filter?
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Hophanger Reply with quote

Made a hop hanger for around $10 and it worked great. i've seen some of these with 4 rods holding it every 90 degrees but with just one rod through the holder it rocks gently as the wort boils. Great solution until i can afford the HopStopper.

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/hophanger.html

Silverspoons
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: