Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

250amp panel help

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcrabbe13

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: 250amp panel help Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
We are looking at a 250 amp setup with 4 elements and looking for a good starting point. I currently use the 30 amp setup at home, but going to use it in a 7bbl setup at our brewery. Ive seen some threads regarding this but the conversations just stop. And would love to document this for a future sticky thread.

My building has an 800amp service and I have 3 phase 240vac 400amp panel dedicated just for this. I will have a total of 8- 15000 watt elements, but only using them 4 at a time.

What are my options as for parts? Use lighting contactors rated for this type of amp draw or using 4 50a circuits to control each heating element.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Kevin59

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First caveat - I'm no expert with 3-phase power...

Now for questions...

Do you know what type of 3-phase power source you have? You've stated 240V 3-phase which would imply a 240V delta configuration. If so is it a 4-wire configuration such that you have both 120V and 240V available?

Are you planning to use 3-phase heating elements? I notice you say 15KW and I know Brewmation sells 3-phase elements but they're rated at 208V.

And if you're planning to use 3-phase elements have you looked into 3-phase GFCI protection? For example:

http://www.bender.org/solutions/gfci.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiAxNilBRD88r2azcqB2zsSJABy2B96A4gJjjDOPpDBa18IGJ1Xos6Tfrt8f5N8bPF8L9EHLRoCqgHw_wcB

I'm looking for to following this thread and learning more!

Cheers!
Mug

UPDATE: FWIW I'm attaching an Excel spreadsheet I was playing with back when I was considering a startup with electric kettles. Enjoy but no guarantees as to accuracy. I was specifically looking at local utility rates, but also some heating times vs power so you could plug in 60KW.

e_brew_power_v_time_664.xlsx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  e_brew_power_v_time_664.xlsx
 Filesize:  14.01 KB
 Downloaded:  597 Time(s)

View user's photo album (6 photos)
rcrabbe13

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin59 wrote:
First caveat - I'm no expert with 3-phase power...

Now for questions...

Do you know what type of 3-phase power source you have? You've stated 240V 3-phase which would imply a 240V delta configuration. If so is it a 4-wire configuration such that you have both 120V and 240V available?

Are you planning to use 3-phase heating elements? I notice you say 15KW and I know Brewmation sells 3-phase elements but they're rated at 208V.

And if you're planning to use 3-phase elements have you looked into 3-phase GFCI protection? For example:

http://www.bender.org/solutions/gfci.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiAxNilBRD88r2azcqB2zsSJABy2B96A4gJjjDOPpDBa18IGJ1Xos6Tfrt8f5N8bPF8L9EHLRoCqgHw_wcB

I'm looking for to following this thread and learning more!

Cheers!
Mug

UPDATE: FWIW I'm attaching an Excel spreadsheet I was playing with back when I was considering a startup with electric kettles. Enjoy but no guarantees as to accuracy. I was specifically looking at local utility rates, but also some heating times vs power so you could plug in 60KW.

correct on the 4 wire. I sourced my 3 phase elements from china who have built our tanks. Im not finding much info on the web if I should buy large contacts or just supply 50w elements for each heat stick. Ive been asking breweries around town with limited response but would love to document this for everyone's use. Mug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: