Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

PID Temperature controller SNR v SSR

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firebrewmedic43

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: PID Temperature controller SNR v SSR Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've read the difference between RNR, SNR and SSR, not sure I understand fully the real application of the differences. So my question is, Can I use a SNR instead of an SSR PID controller
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an SNR that can handle 240V at 30A? The Auber PID is designed to trigger an SSR, and the SSRs used in the Electric Brewery are rated to handle the power required. I can't say I'm that familiar at all with SNRs and RNRs. Do they use physical coils and contacts to work? If so, they are not ideal for the quick switching of the PID, and would probably use more power for switching.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RNR, SNR and SSR designations describe the controller's available methods of output control. This is true of Mypin controllers (others may be different?) The first letter describes output 1, the second describes output 2/alarm 2, and the third describes alarm 1, and the letters "R," "N," and "S" stand for "Relay" (as in "coil,") "None," or "Solid State Relay -- SSR,) respectively. We need to control just one solid state relay (and one alarm output if you wish to activate the buzzer/alarm when the temp goes beyond set point) so either the SNR or SSR could be used but avoid the RNR.
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the above text as well, but there is also an SNR type of relay, independent of the PID controller. You can find Schrack SNR relays at DigiKey.

Drinking: Imperial Brown Ale

Working on: Oatmeal Stout, IPA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unsolicited 2 cents... Go with the Auber SYL-2352 PID with SSR control for your build. You could save some money with a MYPin or other PID, but the Auber is well known here and seems to be very reliable.
View user's photo album (6 photos)
Yo_Pauly

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Schrack/TE Connectivity offers a SNR Slimline family of products, but they are merely relays and not controllers. I agree their use of the SNR acronym is confusing since their datasheets neglect to mention any further detail about it, but IMHO it simply is coincidental.
jprince

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Auber SYL-2352 PID.
Firebrewmedic43

Drinking: barrel-aged Foreign Export Stout

Working on: Helles

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: