Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Where do you get your water tested?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Where do you get your water tested? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am interested in getting my well water chemistry tested, where do you send it? Any labs in Ontario, Canada or the USA?

Thanks,

JP
View user's photo album (24 photos)
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine done at Ward Labs. $16.50 and they e-mail you the results within a day or two of recieving your sample.

http://www.wardlab.com/images/SampleForms/wsis.pdf
View user's photo album (18 photos)
JP

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rosenjm for the link.

Any Canadian labs anyone?

JP
Greg

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP, check with your local municipality, yellowpages perhaps. I know here in St. John's you can pick up a water testing kit and simply drop it off, although I'm not sure what type of results you get back rather just being told it's safe to drink.
View user's photo album (19 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Most cities by law have to post their numbers. I never got mine tested. I simply looked at my city's water report.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
FYI: Most cities by law have to post their numbers. I never got mine tested. I simply looked at my city's water report.

Kal

He says he has well water, he'll have to have it sent out to be tested as wells even a few hundred feet apart can have different levels of minerals. I recently purchased my house so my water was tested as part of my inspection. Lucky me I guess! Never thought I'd use it to brew beer.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Sorry - yes, well water's obviously different.

Most Canadians I know sent it off to Ward too - it's really cheap. The only extra cost is the cost of shipping to the US. They email you the results.

Kal

JP

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, looks like Ward it is, I am going to up state NY on Wednesday and I will mail it from there.

Thanks again, I'l post my results once I get them,

JP
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:

Kal

I used the results posted by my water company for a while before I had Ward test my water. The results were surprisingly different. I think the water company report posted online are a bit out of date, alt least for mine:

Ward (ppm)
Na 58
Ca 44
Mg 13
SO4 10
Cl 128
CaCO3 73

Water Co. Report (ppm)
Na 13
Ca 124
Mg 16
SO4 14
Cl 27
CaCO3 140
View user's photo album (18 photos)
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that their is tremendous leakage before water gets to your house. Water company's lose 20 to 40 percent of treated water before it gets to your house. If water is leaking out, I bet water is coming in, so by the time it gets to your house, I would expect it to be different, unless their test station is outside your house. I think those numbers on the web are an average from their lab testing system. I can find out, I work with a bunch of water companies.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our city posts yearly (more or less). The numbers are averages over the year as they vary a bit. They don't, however, vary enough to really make a big difference in brewing. It helps that my water is very soft (low in everything) os it's the perfect base to build off of.

Kal

JP

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the spring run off affects the water table, as far as well water goes anyway. Any thoughts?

JP
milldoggy

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am saying, a companys numbers on their website is not what your are getting at home. Kal, get your water tested, I bet your will be surprised with the difference from the stated numbers on the web. I deal with water companys all the time, both private and public, regulated and non regulated. I tend not to trust their LIMS system.

Well water is based on the aquifer you are getting water from, do you have a deep or shallow well? The numbers should be consistent regardless because of how the aquifer is being replenished. Wells are affected by environmental conditions and human factors. Like here in PA with hydrofracting, the deep wells are getting F'ED!!! you can light water on fire.
View user's photo album (12 photos)
JP

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my well papers, the well is 159' deep. I guess that the water table should not get that affected at depth. We find the water smells more in the spring because of the iron in the water. I know our water is hard and I will have to treat it, it'll be interesting to see none the less.

JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Science All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: