Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Water Heater Element Wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waltherjt

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Water Heater Element Wiring Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I'm in the process of building my electric brewery. Kind of doing it slow, one piece at a time. Today I installed a 4 wire outlet in the garage where I will be brewing. I understand wiring pretty good, I wired my whole house and a subpanel in my garage. This week I would like to get a water heater element going in my HLT. I will wire the black and red to the element and ground it, but what the heck do I do with the neutral wire? I am buying an appliance cord that works with my outlet, which will go into a junction box. The heater element wires will also go into it. There will be 4 wires going in, and only 3 coming out of the element. Does the white go to ground? Someone please help me understand this simple problem.

Jeff
rosenjm

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if i understand what you're asking, you are going to bypass the control panel and want to wire the heating element directly to your 4 prong outlet? The CP uses a 4 prong outlet to power it because the 4th wire is required for the GFCI. The cable coming from the CP to the element is only a 3 wire cable, black, red and ground.

If you want to hook the element to the 4 prong outlet temporarily while you built the CP, you can attach the ground and neutral together (that is what happens in your main circuit breaker box anyway). I would however, recommend not doing this unless the breaker feeding your receptical is a GFCI breaker. You might also want to have some method of turning the element off and on with out having to plug it in or pull the plug under load.
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, the way I understand the wiring is that the four wire (10/3 with ground) is only used coming into and the control panel as the power supply and the elements are using a 10/3 wire cord and three prong twist lock plug, not four. Hope this helps clear things up, castermmt

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=4

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=13
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Heater Element Wiring Reply with quote

waltherjt wrote:
I'm in the process of building my electric brewery. Kind of doing it slow, one piece at a time. Today I installed a 4 wire outlet in the garage where I will be brewing. I understand wiring pretty good, I wired my whole house and a subpanel in my garage. This week I would like to get a water heater element going in my HLT. I will wire the black and red to the element and ground it, but what the heck do I do with the neutral wire? I am buying an appliance cord that works with my outlet, which will go into a junction box. The heater element wires will also go into it. There will be 4 wires going in, and only 3 coming out of the element. Does the white go to ground? Someone please help me understand this simple problem.

The NEUTRAL is not used by the heating elements. Heating elements require 240V which you get by going from one HOT to the other HOT (240V differential). Neutral is only needed and used if you require 120V. In your case it is not needed so you do not use it.

DO NOT CONNECT THE NEUTRAL TO THE GROUND ANYWHERE OTHER THAN IN YOUR HOUSE BREAKER BOX. THIS IS AGAINST CODE IN MOST LOCATIONS INCLUDING (MOST LIKELY) CALIFORNIA!

This is mentioned here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=3

I agree with the last poster too - you want some way to control the element. You really should not use a wall plug as a switch and connect/disconnect the element by plugging it in/unplugging it. That's really not a safe or agood thing to do. I'm not sure if that's what you have in mind however.

You mentioned you wired your whole house yourself... Some of your comments worry me a bit and I mean this with good intentions/safety in mind: Did you have all your work inspected by a certified electrician?

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
waltherjt

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Water Heater Element Wiring Reply with quote

kal wrote:
waltherjt wrote:

The NEUTRAL is not used by the heating elements. Heating elements require 240V which you get by going from one HOT to the other HOT (240V differential). Neutral is only needed and used if you require 120V. In your case it is not needed so you do not use it.

DO NOT CONNECT THE NEUTRAL TO THE GROUND ANYWHERE OTHER THAN IN YOUR HOUSE BREAKER BOX. THIS IS AGAINST CODE IN MOST LOCATIONS INCLUDING (MOST LIKELY) CALIFORNIA!

This is mentioned here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-2?page=3

I agree with the last poster too - you want some way to control the element. You really should not use a wall plug as a switch and connect/disconnect the element by plugging it in/unplugging it. That's really not a safe or agood thing to do. I'm not sure if that's what you have in mind however.

You mentioned you wired your whole house yourself... Some of your comments worry me a bit and I mean this with good intentions/safety in mind: Did you have all your work inspected by a certified electrician?

Kal

I'm doing this with only the HLT for now just to see if I like brewing electrically in the garage before putting a few thousand into the whole system. I definitely to plan to put together a control panel soon. For now I will use the HLT to get the water to a set temp and then transfer the water to the mash tun. In the beginning, i won't be turning it on and off, so I figured I could turn it off with the breaker. It is not far away. Is there any problem with turning off the element with the breaker 1 time?

I wired the 50 amp outlet with a range type receptacle using 6/3 wire so I can use 240 and 120 in the cp as well as run 2 elements at once. I realize I don't need the neutral from the outlet right now, but appliance cord I am using has a neutral wire in it. My ulimate question is what to do with the wire at the end of the appliance cord. 5 minutes after my original post I realized I could probably just put a wire cap on it and use the two hots and ground only. Is that the proper way to do it?

The house was just built 2 years ago. I did have an electrician friend look at it, and the inspector spent nearly an hour on the rough inspection alone. There were a few corrections to be made, but nothing that would have made it unsafe. The hired out plumbing had more corrections than my electrical!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Heater Element Wiring Reply with quote

waltherjt wrote:
In the beginning, i won't be turning it on and off, so I figured I could turn it off with the breaker. It is not far away. Is there any problem with turning off the element with the breaker 1 time?

Something should not be designed such that the circuit breaker is used as the switch to control it. Also should not be done under load.

Yes, it'll technically "work". I'm telling you what's correct so you'll never hear me say "yes you can do that". Wink

waltherjt wrote:
I wired the 50 amp outlet with a range type receptacle using 6/3 wire so I can use 240 and 120 in the cp as well as run 2 elements at once. I realize I don't need the neutral from the outlet right now, but appliance cord I am using has a neutral wire in it. My ulimate question is what to do with the wire at the end of the appliance cord. 5 minutes after my original post I realized I could probably just put a wire cap on it and use the two hots and ground only. Is that the proper way to do it?

Yes.

waltherjt wrote:
The house was just built 2 years ago. I did have an electrician friend look at it, and the inspector spent nearly an hour on the rough inspection alone. There were a few corrections to be made, but nothing that would have made it unsafe. The hired out plumbing had more corrections than my electrical!

Good stuff!

Kal

brewmcq

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a busy semester.. I hope everyone is doing well...

I have a few more parts in... and want to get my elements installed in my BK... I'm still lightyears away from a fancy control panel, and after reading this thread, it has been confirmed that I shouldn't plug/unplug the outlet to turn my element on and off. Smile

So..

What can I use for a switch?

Thanks!
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have a heating element that uses only 2 wires, does it matter which goes where? Hot and neutral that is.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:
When you have a heating element that uses only 2 wires, does it matter which goes where? Hot and neutral that is.

It doesn't matter which terminal gets which wire, but it does matter which wires are connected based on if you are wiring 120V (HOT + NEUTRAL) or 240V (HOT + HOT).

Try reading this little description on how 120V and 240V are similar but different!! I found it really helpful.

http://www.nojolt.com/Understanding_240_volt_circuits.shtml
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pola0502ds wrote:

If you're using a 240V element like in my setup, read my instructions here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=8

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: