Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Custom Temperature Probes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickdoubleyew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Thanks for the quick reply Kal. I am still puzzled though. Why would such a nut as I included exist, if it can not be used on NPT while stating that it’s a locking flange nut for NPT?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea! Maybe because the seller has no idea what they're talking about? Wink An NPT nut can certainly exist (you posted a picture of one). How useful it would be is questionable. I have to admit it's puzzling.

NPT is tapered:

So putting a nut on it and tightening means it'll always bottom out and stop turning at exactly the same spot every time, which only allows you to tighten an NPT fitting on a wall or similar at one specific spot or depth which is probably not going to be the exact depth you want.

That's why my brewery design uses NPT (tapered) temperature probes in the MLT and HLT pipe plumbing, and Metric (straight) temperature probes in the boil kettle wall.

Is there a reason you want to keep all the temperature probes the same (all NPT)?

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mnbrewer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm getting ready to assemble my temperature probe cables. I purchased SIENOC XLR3 female cable connectors linked below:

https://www.amazon.com/SIENOC-Female-Solder-Microphone-Connector/dp/B00LFAX5QA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1515877543&sr=8-4&keywords=XLR+3+pin+female+connector&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=a27ee245804992799343b13d2babf266

They look similar in design to the connectors shown posted by GoodDuck earlier in this thread, but the pins are slightly different. They all have holes in them, and the ground pin appears to have a plug through the hole so I can't loop the stainless wire through it.

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on how I should proceed with any of the following options:

1. Buy different cable connectors that have a hole in the ground pin. If so, any specific model/manufacturer that have this design?
2. Remove the plug from the ground pin. I'm not sure how to do this without damaging the pin.
3. Assemble the connectors without the stainless steel wire rope. Obviously this compromises some of the strength, but how big of a risk is it with the type of strain relief that is on this connector?

IMG_6149 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.83 KB
 Viewed:  7917 Time(s)

IMG_6149 (1).jpg

IMG_6150 (1).JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.88 KB
 Viewed:  7917 Time(s)

IMG_6150 (1).JPG

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mnbrewer wrote:
3. Assemble the connectors without the stainless steel wire rope. Obviously this compromises some of the strength, but how big of a risk is it with the type of strain relief that is on this connector?

I don't really have any recommendations on how to use those specific female XLR connectors, but will make a comment about the above: The steel rope isn't to aid or help in addition to the strain relief that is at the XLR connector, but in case you snag / pull / trip against the probe cable. It stops the thin wires from being ripped out of the connectors either end of the cable. Instead, the stainless rope (which is purposely slightly more taut than the wires) takes the strain. I recommend (and use) 150lb strength Stainless steel wire rope: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Stainless-steel-wire-rope-1x7-strand-1-32-diameter-150-pound-break-strength

(Same stuff we use in the temperature probe kits we sell, both assembled and DIY).

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: