Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Custom Temperature Probes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Custom Temperature Probes Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Custom Temperature Probes

These are the same RTD (resistive thermal device) temperature probes that we use in our brewery, available for purchase in two forms:

• Pre-assembled and ready to use (no soldering or assembly required!)
  • DIY Kit (assembly and soldering required, tools not included)
We use RTD instead of thermocouple probes in our brewery as they offer greater accuracy over the brewing temperature range. RTDs also remain more accurate over time (less drift which means less re-calibration).

We've partnered with various manufacturers to purchase these parts in volume, reducing the cost as compared to buying parts individually.

For complete details visit our order page. GO »

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chutracheese

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another recommendation for Mike and Spike Innovations.
I bought the DIY kit.
By my math, it was cheaper to get all the stuff together than to source it all out myself.
Highly recommend.

One recommendation if you are DIY. Really trim the the flexible braided sleeving at the collar before you melt the shrink wrap.
All the frays ended up poking through the soft shrink wrap. Not very waterproof when it has a bunch of holes in it.

Thanks again Mike for helping me fix this, also!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Need a longer temperature probe cable? Custom lengths and replacement cables are now available. See our temperature probe order page here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-temperature-probes

Kal

GoodDuck

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Folks.
Just joined the forums, this is my first post.
I recently purchased the DIY option for these temperature probes.
The XLR3 connectors that came with the kit, are different to the ones in the instructions.
Specifically there is no strain relief tab to crimp around the 2 braided sleeves and the stainless steel wire rope.

Any suggestions on how to arrange and fasten the stainless steel wire rope, would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Can you post a picture?

I've sent a note off to Mike of Spike Innovations (our official manufacturer) for some hints - hopefully we'll get some hints posted soon. I'm sure there's a straightforward answer.

Kal

GoodDuck

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal - attached are some photos...
I hope they help.

Thanks
Chris

xlr_pins2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  267.23 KB
 Viewed:  45188 Time(s)

xlr_pins2.jpg

xlr_pins.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  298.85 KB

xlr_pins.jpg

XLR_pieces.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.78 KB

XLR_pieces.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

There are 4 connection poss on the XLR connector. The one with the hole in it is the same ground connector as in my instructions. Pass the stainless wire through the hole and bend it back and twist it together.

Kal

GoodDuck

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal.

You have confirmed my thoughts.
I might get some thin heat shrink tubing to separate the steel rope from the other connections.

Chris
Spike Innovations
TheElectricBrewery.com manufacturer

Working on: Your Brewery!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-

As you tighten the back portion of the connector to the metal front, it also clamps down the clear plastic portion on the entire cable. This is in essence your strain relief. But attaching the SS wire rope to the ground tab would prevent any issues down the road.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building my controller to TheElectricBrewery's specs. I see that the HLT and Mash Tun temp probes are mounted in the valve while the BK is mounted in the vessel wall. One would think this would result in reading proper temp only when the valves are open. My question is, will mounting the temp probes inside the vessels rather than in the valve work with the controller setup?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papa wrote:
I'm building my controller to TheElectricBrewery's specs. I see that the HLT and Mash Tun temp probes are mounted in the valve while the BK is mounted in the vessel wall. One would think this would result in reading proper temp only when the valves are open.

Correct. The valves are open all the time as we recirculate the whole time in order to get accurate temperature readings.

Quote:
My question is, will mounting the temp probes inside the vessels rather than in the valve work with the controller setup?

Possibly not as accurately. To quote our temp probe build article here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/temperature-probes

"In process control systems such as ours that involve fluid recirculating, temperature monitoring is usually done in the plumbing instead of in the kettle. This helps avoid temperature misreads due to stratification (layering). This is not an issue in the Boil Kettle as the violent boiling action continuously stirs the wort to ensure an even temperature throughout the kettle.

Stratification is most likely to occur in the Mash/Lauter Tun. A temperature probe placed in the grain through the side of the kettle would only be measuring one location. We would not know when the entire grain bed is at the desired target temperature as it heats slowly from top to bottom. By placing the probe at the kettle output we ensure that the entire mash temperature is being monitored. For example, when we increase the Hot Liquor Tank temperature to 168F to perform a mash-out, the water in the Hot Liquor Tank will reach 168F before the grain in the Mash/Lauter Tun. It is only when the Mash/Lauter Tun also reads 168F that we know that the whole grain bed is at 168F. Placing the probe elsewhere would not provide us with this accuracy."

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Tri-Clover (sometimes called Tri-Clamp) temperature probes with larger 2" flange (for 2" pipe) and longer 6" and 8" probes are now available. See our temperature probe order page here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/custom-temperature-probes

These would be mostly used by pro brewers using larger piping.

Kal

Tungsten

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures available of the TC probes? Would be great to see them so I know exactly what I'd be working with. I am using a 2" TC for my element and it would make sense to use the same punch for the BK temp probe (rather than buy a different punch for 1 hole).

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No picture off-hand - sorry! TC is a starting type if fitting so as long as what you're connecting to is the same TC size you're good to go without any sort of adapters.

A TC temp probe needs to attach to a TC fitting. So make sure you have a TC fitting on your kettle. This would usually be welded in place.

Kal

RangerBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question .... IF they could be wired correctly, could these be used with an STC 1000 for a lager refrig?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerBrewer wrote:
Quick question .... IF they could be wired correctly, could these be used with an STC 1000 for a lager refrig?

I do not believe that an STC 1000 supports higher accuracy 3-wire RTD temperature probes like this. I think an STC 1000 only supports cheaper/less accurate 2-wire thermocouple (called 'TC') style temperature probes. You should check the manual of your STC 1000 to confirm if it supports 3-wire RTC temperature probes. Note: RTC is sometimes called Pt100 as well.

Kal

RangerBrewer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
RangerBrewer wrote:

I do not believe that an STC 1000 supports higher accuracy 3-wire RTD temperature probes like this. I think an STC 1000 only supports cheaper/less accurate 2-wire thermocouple (called 'TC') style temperature probes. You should check the manual of your STC 1000 to confirm if it supports 3-wire RTC temperature probes. Note: RTC is sometimes called Pt100 as well.

Kal

Thanks, the STC is a 2 wire hookup, so that answers most of my question ;>)
On yours, where does the 3rd wire go? what does it accomplish? Looking at the pic of the wiring, I had thought that the 3rd connector was for the strain-relief cable, not a specific wire ...... gotta look closer at them pics ;>0!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerBrewer wrote:
On yours, where does the 3rd wire go? what does it accomplish?

All 3 wires go into the PID as the PIDs we use support 3 wire RTD temperature probes.

3 wire is more accurate. It uses differential signaling which helps reject noise. More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_signaling

Kal

nickdoubleyew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, new guy here.

Kal, I have a question regarding the metric boil kettle probe. Could a standard probe be used with a locking nut like this: https://tinyurl.com/y83sfkl8 to keep all of the probes the same. It seems to me that this would work but maybe I'm still not understanding something. I get that NPT threads are tapered and designed to go inside threaded pipe but it seems that if the nut is designed for NPT, it would work. Help please, my brain hurts[/url]

NPT Locknut.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.96 KB
 Viewed:  30702 Time(s)

NPT Locknut.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! You can't use nuts on NPT threads because they're tapered as you mentioned. Because they're tapered the nut will 'bottom out' and stop turning at a very specific point so you're not able to use them to fasten them to a kettle wall or similar unless the depth is exactly right.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: