Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Where'd you buy your enclosure and how much?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Where'd you buy your enclosure and how much? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am ready to buy my enclosure but dont want to spend 33$ bucks for shipping. Any idea's?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priced around..kal's ebay link has the cheapest price Smile....Kal is the man!

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the same guy you'll be buying a bunch of your controls from, buy all your stuff at the same time, you'll probably save a few bucks that way as he could toss everything in the same box. If the shipping calc on ebay doesn't seem right contact the seller directly most sellers are very reasonable and will make adjustments.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did was just order everything from him using the ebay links and then after I had 20-30 items ordered, you click in ebay to "have seller send you an updated shipping price". Simple.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought It via kals eBay link. Price was right.
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing people need to realize about eBay is that you should never look at the item price and shipping price separately. Only look at the combined price and then decide if the price is "worth it".

The reason is that the way eBay works (or at least the way it used to work) is that sellers get charged a certain % of the price they list for the item before shipping. So you'd sometimes see items worth (say) $20, selling for $2 plus $20 shipping. This way the seller pays less commission to eBay.

eBay's gotten smart about this over the years but at the end the day you still need to consider the total landed cost and not look at the items separately. In a way, it's really no different than buying anywhere else.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kaikoasurf

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 107 total. Good price

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shipping can seem like a lot, but combined, cost is many times cheaper than elsewhere. I got a 20x20x8 enclosure for $99 (IIRC) and $40~ shipping from electrical_parts (Kal's link). Even with shipping to europe added on, it was far less expensive than I could get locally.
Porkbutter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandequeso wrote:
thats the same guy you'll be buying a bunch of your controls from, buy all your stuff at the same time, you'll probably save a few bucks that way as he could toss everything in the same box. If the shipping calc on ebay doesn't seem right contact the seller directly most sellers are very reasonable and will make adjustments.

That this was the same guy slipped right past me. I almost ordered it separately. Glad this was posted, there is no point in adding extra shipping expense. There is probably going to be a whopping total for shipping by time all the parts from all the vendors get added together already.

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a copy of my billing with combined shipping, much cheaper this way.

Total E bay parts with shipping.doc
 Description:
Total with shipping cost

Download
 Filename:  Total E bay parts with shipping.doc
 Filesize:  42 KB
 Downloaded:  1016 Time(s)

pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used hoffman off of ebay for 40 bucks plus 10 bucks to ship. 12x12x6 and it's built like a tank. For all who need still need to purchase a enclosure: DO NOT BUY A PANEL THAT IS ONLY 6" DEEP. You will run into a lot of problems as far as space goes. Some of my components had to be placed where they are at due to what was mounted on the door. I want to add a digital clock but i'm affraid I cannot now because I lack space.
redbenn

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a Best Offer on the Enclosure in Kal's link. I offered $65 (instead of the $89.99) and the seller took it for anyone wanting to try similar. I did that with multiple items and saved a few bucks on other items, the enclosure had the best savings.
pola0502ds

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I tried doing that when i was shopping and they didn't accept it.. Good job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: