Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Ventilation options

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Ventilation options Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys looking ahead at venting this monster I was surprised, yet again at the cost of a hood and fan setup. I wanted to see what people are using to vent their systems and if there are any more economical option etc. Thanks.
MillWerks

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Feurhund, I had a guy at a local sheet metal shop make a hood out of 20ga galvanized sheet metal for about $150. He took a 5' wide sheet and bent it into a large "U", so that it was 5x2x1 feet. Then they put some ends onto it with what he called a Pittsburgh roll (no welding). He also rolled all the edges so that there aren't any sharp edges.

My hood doesn't have a condensation trap, but I've brewed a few times and I haven't had any dripping. I imagine that some of the condensation is collecting in the rolled edge so that it may start to rust in a few years. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I used a slightly different blower than Kal, a Fantech RVF 6xl, which is mounted outside to help reduce the fan noise. Not that it's quite with almost 400CFM pulling through the hood. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

hood.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.88 KB
 Viewed:  18718 Time(s)

hood.JPG

View user's photo album (6 photos)
longarmbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Why would you mount the CP under the hood? Aren't you concerned with the potential with condensation getting onto or into the box. I realize we went with a water resistant box but I don't see a reason to ask for issues.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same concerns, but I put there because of space concerns. It's hard to see in the picture, but there's a door to the left of the CP, so the only other place was over the sink. That being said, after a 90 boil and the fan going, there is no moisture to speak of on the CP.
It would be nice to have more space, but I'm just glad to have my own inside space and be out of the kitchen. Next year, I'll searching for a house with more space for the growing family. Hopefully the new place will have space for my growing brewery Mug

Last edited by MillWerks on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could have made the vent hood smaller - the only place it's really needed is over the boil kettle as the other two are typically covered all the time.

For what it's worth, a couple of years ago when I was testing things I had about 7 gallons of water in the boil kettle boiling away at 100%. I left the room for a while and completely forgot to turn on the ventilation! When I came back the walls were dripping wet all over the place as was the control panel. Moisture was quite litterally dripping off the panel on to the floor. Remember that my brewing room is tiny so it didn't take long to saturate the air with moisture. I was basically brewing in a sauna!

(And I don't mean some wimpy North American sauna... I mean the ones I'm used to growing up with Estonian parents/grandparents who had saunas at their cottages that were wood fired and started in the morning and heated all day so that you'd hit 180-200F and above for the sauna at night. TONS of water thrown on the rocks such that you couldn't see more than 2 feet... smacking each other with birch branches... but I digress....) Wink

So anyway, I killed the power, turned on the fan for a few minutes to clear the air, and then open up the panel and was happy to see zero moisture inside. Just like I planned it! Nobody means to get moisture inside the panel but, well, sometimes accidents happen. A lot of what I designed was exactly for that reason. In many other setups I would have shorted something out/popped a breaker/who knows what.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
silverspoons

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Econo Vent Reply with quote

Check out the pics in my photo album.. i built my vent like the prototype that Kal had made out of 1" foam board, painted it and covered the outside with some scrap plexiglass. spent around $25 for the hood. I used a 4" Vortex fan instead of the 6" because i already had a 4" port in the wall.. works great and i get no moisture build up in the hood.

silverspoons
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think with 400 cfm you will not have a condensation problem. The amount of condensate build up on the inside of the hood is also effected by the ambient temperature in your brew room.

If the noise is too much for you, you can increase your exhaust duct size which would decrease the turbulence, this is assuming the fan motor is not located in the room with you.
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MillWerks wrote:
Hey Feurhund, I had a guy at a local sheet metal shop make a hood out of 20ga galvanized sheet metal for about $150. He took a 5' wide sheet and bent it into a large "U", so that it was 5x2x1 feet. Then they put some ends onto it with what he called a Pittsburgh roll (no welding). He also rolled all the edges so that there aren't any sharp edges.

My hood doesn't have a condensation trap, but I've brewed a few times and I haven't had any dripping. I imagine that some of the condensation is collecting in the rolled edge so that it may start to rust in a few years. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I used a slightly different blower than Kal, a Fantech RVF 6xl, which is mounted outside to help reduce the fan noise. Not that it's quite with almost 400CFM pulling through the hood. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Hey Millworks, How did you attach that hood to the ceiling? Bolts? Adhesive? Thanks I am thinking of finding a sheet metal place to do the same.
MillWerks

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I located the ceiling joists and then drilled holes in the top of the hood to correspond with the joists above. I used SS #8x1 1/2" (i think) sheet metal screws. I used 3 screws per joist (joist running perpendicular to the hood) for as many joist that were under the hood. The hood was fairly rigid, so it didn't matter if there were no screws at the very ends of the hood (because the joist spacing didn't work out that way). it's still working great and I'm very happy with it. Good luck!
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how deep the hood has to be. I have low ceilings and will. Use 4" duct and fan. What is the shallowest you would go? 8 inches?, 6? Thanks
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump thread, but does anyone know how shallow you can make the hood per my above question. I am going to get quotes and need to finalize design. Again 4" duct work.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feurhund wrote:
Sorry to bump thread, but does anyone know how shallow you can make the hood per my above question. I am going to get quotes and need to finalize design. Again 4" duct work.

There's no one right answer... it all depends on how big the rest of the hood is made, how long the duct run is, how big the duct diameter is, how big the fan is, how much the duct overhangs the kettles (ie: how much bigger/wider it is than the kettle), how high you have it from the kettles, how well you replenish cold air into the brewery, etc.

If you have any doubts, do what I did: Spend $20 and build a prototype and see how it works. See: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ventilation?page=8

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. I will do the foam hood at 12" and then cut down to 8" then 6" and confirm it still works with my 4" vortex at full boil. I will report when done to add to the data pool.
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another design question. I have no drywall in my basement ceiling and thus have open rafters. For the sake of saving space, can i make the vent hole on the top of the hood to a 90 degree piece and then place my duct in between the rafters? does this diminish the exhaust potential as it is pulling directly up in the hood and not across? Is there any other reason not to do this?
Hoping someone with an understanding of how these works can give me feedback. Thanks again.
TheZer

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venting from top of hood will increase capture, thus allow decrease in cfm/ft . One 90 degree duct bend will cause minimal increase in static pressure. Remember to slope your ductwork (if possible) 1" for every foot so that condensation flows back toward the hood. Pools of water in your ductwork will cause rust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: