Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Salvaging kinked ss tubing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feurhund

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Salvaging kinked ss tubing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Guys,
Want to see some brewing related ideas for using the stainless 50' coil I ruined with a kink in the middle. Thanks, and I am sure I am not the only one with a pitiful twist of steel in e corner.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been toying with the idea of putting a coil in the BK to act as a pre-chiller, to take the temperature down to 140F quickly to lock in hop aroma and reduce DMS production. With the low temperature we can then whirpool at leisure, wait for the trub to settle and then run through the CFC/plate chiller into the fermentor. It would not need to be a 50' coil - I was thinking 25' would be plenty.
crush

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also make a pretty bling SS aeration wand. Just take a short section of tubing, say 6"-12" and drill small holes through it. When racking wort to the FV, attach the wand to the hose leading to the FV. As the wort passes through the want, it draws in air and aerates the wort.

You could also use the crimped section. Cut 6"-12" around the crimp, and make a small hole on the "out" side of the crimp. The crimp creates a venturi effect, where the wort expanding after the crimp creates a vacuum and draws in air. The advantage of having just one hole is that you can connect it to a clean air supply, such as an HEPA air filter.

Castermmt

Drinking: Steelhead Porter, Alt-Toids, Hefty-Weizen, Terry's Kolsch, African Amber, Pumpkin Ale, Double Dog Ale

Working on: Janet's Brown Ale, Terry's Kolsch, Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not ruined, here is a simple fix. Buy a stainless steel coupling fitting (tube to tube) and just cut out the bad part and replace with the fitting, this should work just fine. Hope this helps. Mug

if you live in the states and are interested in selling it cheap and its not too bad, maybe we can work something out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: